Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

From memory I think the lighter green was referred to as 'Sherwood' Green. Photos of early diesels in plain all over green seem to be shades of olive green rather than Brunswick or maybe that is down to film emulsions of the day

D336 Vulcan loco.jpg

Brunswick Green is one of those long perpetuated myths.  Tappy tappy,  or clicky clicky.

The shade of Sherwood Green is quite subjective, I have seen photos of an ex-works Class 17 in sunshine where the "apparent" colour matches the Dapol Class 29 very well, but I suspect it weathered very quickly to a darker, more browny shade which seems typical in most photos. I have a much modified Hornby 29 (original paintwork, though weathered) which can be seen to the right in this photo, with a Dapol model on the left:

20191109_092504.jpg.1eee3bc2d6cebdb426e6e95605030bae.jpg

Of the 2 I think the Dapol colour is closer; I am planning to repaint the Hornby one with Railmatch Sherwood Green as part of an overhaul so will see how it compares to the Dapol colour.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 29/02/2020 at 15:46, Signaller69 said:

The shade of Sherwood Green is quite subjective, I have seen photos of an ex-works Class 17 in sunshine where the "apparent" colour matches the Dapol Class 29 very well, but I suspect it weathered very quickly to a darker, more browny shade which seems typical in most photos. I have a much modified Hornby 29 (original paintwork, though weathered) which can be seen to the right in this photo, with a Dapol model on the left:

20191109_092504.jpg.1eee3bc2d6cebdb426e6e95605030bae.jpg

Of the 2 I think the Dapol colour is closer; I am planning to repaint the Hornby one with Railmatch Sherwood Green as part of an overhaul so will see how it compares to the Dapol colour.

I’ve painted an LGB G scale 2095 into reverse two tone green and found the railmatch sherwood green to be much closer to the Dapol colour than the Hornby. 

Link if anybody would like to see...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

46 minutes ago, Rob Rossington said:

I’ve painted an LGB G scale 2095 into reverse two tone green and found the railmatch sherwood green to be much closer to the Dapol colour than the Hornby. 

Link if anybody would like to see...

Hi Rob,

The colour scheme suits your loco! Thanks for that. Not got round to doing my 29 yet, but it looks as if, as you say, it won't be a million miles off the Dapol shade. The Hornby colour looks more Apple green imho.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Further to the shade of Sherwood Green debate, not very scientific, but here's my Bachby 29 in progress to becoming late condition 6123 (from 6121), which has had Railmatch Sherwood Green applied, with Dapol's D6114 as purchased behind. 20200309_224206.jpg.9e9b0f4f7438488ee8a42405a980e6d1.jpg20200309_224243.jpg.5d8f8dbe3036c892649d781c24f12a49.jpg

The Railmatch colour is not as close to the Dapol as I thought it might be, being clearly a couple of shades darker and appears a good match for prototype "in service" photos, but there are also photos out there showing what appears to be a lighter, more lime green shade, closer to the Dapol model, on some ex-works locos (particularly class 17s) in sunny conditions. 50 year old colour photos can be very subjective of course.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In theory yes, but I wonder if they actually did. There weren’t many red circle (electro-magnetic) control locos about, the toffee apples, class 16? and these.

Andy g

Edited by uax6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

They were red diamond, not red circle. It was nearly two-thirds of them. Really odd concept to split the equipment across a class.

Roy

Perhaps there was a pressing need to explore ways to make them more reliable! 

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

They were red diamond, not red circle. It was nearly two-thirds of them. Really odd concept to split the equipment across a class.

Roy

Ah yes so they were. Perhaps I was thinking of that other spectacular success, the Metrovick Co-Bos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, uax6 said:

In theory yes, but I wonder if they actually did. There weren’t many red circle (electro-magnetic) control locos about, the toffee apples, class 16? and these.

Andy g

It will be my photo find of the year to see a 31/0 - 29 combination. I do have evidence of an oddball pairing in a Whitemoor Junction train register. In this case it was a class 44 and class 15. 

Links from Facebook page for North British Diesel and Electric Locomotives.

This picture might help a little regarding two tone green:

laurencekirk1967_002[1]

last day at Laurencekirk station, September 1967.

D6102 at same station on same day. From same Flickr account but not clear if it is the same train in both pictures, although this could be of the first one departing?

KJ12LKIRK

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 26power said:

Links from Facebook page for North British Diesel and Electric Locomotives.

This picture might help a little regarding two tone green:

laurencekirk1967_002[1]

last day at Laurencekirk station, September 1967.

D6102 at same station on same day. From same Flickr account but not clear if it is the same train in both pictures, although this could be of the first one departing?

KJ12LKIRK

O T, but this is my home station. It's changed quite a bit since then.  I must say, it looks lovely in these images.

• Like 1

Without trawling though the whole thread I don't know if we've had these already, anyway here goes - the second pic with D6112 at Fort William shows how grubby the lighter green upper panel could get, even allowing for the age and rendition of the image itself...

9865984126_85c055bee5_b.jpg

NBL D6112.jpg

NBL D6123.jpg

NBL D6154.jpg

NBL FW.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question - has anyone attempted to fit tablet catcher recess to a class 21 yet for a North East version? I’m assuming Dapol have not said anything about a follow up tooling.