Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Clock O' The North said:

G'day All,

Finally received my 21 in the mail after far too long. Put it on the track to run it in annnd it lurches. It appears to lurch to one side before the motor kicks in. It only lurches in one direction. Runs fine once moving. Any suggestions on how to cure?

Cheers

Maybe loosen the bogie gear casings slightly if they have screws on them. (Sorry I haven’t had time to check how they are secured.)

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 02:29, Clock O' The North said:

...Finally received my 21 in the mail after far too long. Put it on the track to run it in annnd it lurches. It appears to lurch to one side before the motor kicks in. It only lurches in one direction. Runs fine once moving...

Suggests torque reaction is evident because the body has freedom to roll (about the long axis of the loco) in one direction of rotation. A little packing between one bogie top and chassis underside should minimise the visible effect. I would only want to do this on one end to avoid restricting the model's ability to adjust to track irregularities.

I have done this on Hornby's Brush 2 mechanism, which rolls very visibly in both directions of rotation when starting, and can be made to roll side to side on the spot.

I will be interested to hear what you find and decide, having not 'dug into' this model's mechanism at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 05:37, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Suggests torque reaction is evident because the body has freedom to roll (about the long axis of the loco) in one direction of rotation. A little packing between one bogie top and chassis underside should minimise the visible effect. I would only want to do this on one end to avoid restricting the model's ability to adjust to track irregularities.

I have done this on Hornby's Brush 2 mechanism, which rolls very visibly in both directions of rotation when starting, and can be made to roll side to side on the spot.

I will be interested to hear what you find and decide, having not 'dug into' this model's mechanism at all.

Cheers Mate. Worked a dream. A double layered 0.01" thick packing underneath both sides at one end worked a treat. Running like a dream now. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Will they do the Scottish variant with the recess for the tablet catcher that was on the prototypes second batch that went straight to the Scottish region; does anyone know if Dapols tooling is flexible to allow for this? Perhaps we will have to be 'real' modellers and make our own tablet catcher recesses, tho many will be reluctant to carve up a £120 plus loco...

56 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Will they do the Scottish variant with the recess for the tablet catcher that was on the prototypes second batch that went straight to the Scottish region; does anyone know if Dapols tooling is flexible to allow for this? Perhaps we will have to be 'real' modellers and make our own tablet catcher recesses, tho many will be reluctant to carve up a £120 plus loco...

You will need to change the cab side windows too.  Sliding windows were fitted instead of drop windows.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

You will need to change the cab side windows too.  Sliding windows were fitted instead of drop windows.

You are quite right Baby Deltic , just like on the class 26 batches, where if memory serves the bogies/springs on the 26 changed slightly too.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 16:47, peteskitchen said:

Has anybody seen or heard anything about Dapol doing another production run of class 29s? I was a little disappointed there there was only one GSYP version (which quickly sold out). I could do with at least a couple more.

One course is to let the retailer(s) you deal with know that money is available should they have more such to sell you. Meantime keep a lookout for any s/h? I believe that a fair proportion of sales go to easily bored folks, and when the next 'newest and bestest' item appears, the previous favourite is thrust out of the nest.

On the positive side, this does indicate that the model 'has legs'. (Deservedly I would say, very good job.)

23 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

One course is to let the retailer(s) you deal with know that money is available should they have more such to sell you. Meantime keep a lookout for any s/h? I believe that a fair proportion of sales go to easily bored folks, and when the next 'newest and bestest' item appears, the previous favourite is thrust out of the nest.

On the positive side, this does indicate that the model 'has legs'. (Deservedly I would say, very good job.)

It's okay, I already have a model of the GSYP version, I would just like some with a different number to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my 29 is poorly. It's making a loud noise when running. I thought it just needed running in but it's getting louder. I took the top of to see if a bit of lube would do the trick but the motor is not accessible without a major strip down. Has anybody had any experience with Dapol's guarantee? Do they just swap locos or do they fix them? 

Thanks in advance! 

8 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I think my 29 is poorly. It's making a loud noise when running. I thought it just needed running in but it's getting louder. I took the top of to see if a bit of lube would do the trick but the motor is not accessible without a major strip down. Has anybody had any experience with Dapol's guarantee? Do they just swap locos or do they fix them? 

Thanks in advance! 

True to prototype then? How's about that for authenticity!

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dapol class 29s on Xmas offer at Hattons for £109, was waiting for the price drop so snapped one up, 6107. Another Hornby detailing project bites the dust. Should I pick up one of the lovely two tone green ones - tempted.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000396/1000635/dapol_diesel_locos/bargain_list.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Downendian said:

Dapol class 29s on Xmas offer at Hattons for £109, was waiting for the price drop so snapped one up, 6107. Another Hornby detailing project bites the dust. Should I pick up one of the lovely two tone green ones - tempted.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000396/1000635/dapol_diesel_locos/bargain_list.aspx

Temptation leads to sin! Best to bypass it completely and go for satisfaction instead:senile:

15 hours ago, Downendian said:

Beautiful livery beautifully executed. Good runner. Stonking good model. Good price. Not that I would wish to influence you. :D

Edited by No Decorum
To add after thought.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Surprisingly, the Chinese made Hornby class 29s from about 20 years ago had better printing than the Dapol one of the worksplate. They really look like the aluminium NBL diamonds. Oddly I think the number on the worksplate of the Hornby version is one from a class 22, not 21. Apologies for the Hornby one being slightly out of focus.

DapolCL29.jpg

HornbyCL29.jpg

Edited by peteskitchen

• 2 months later...

I have seen plenty of photos of these locos with mini-snowploughs in their cl 21 guise, but I cannot find any photos of post re-build class 29's with mini-snowploughs. Does anyone know if any class 29's were fitted with such for work on the WHL?

Thanks 

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, David41283 said:

I have seen plenty of photos of these locos with mini-snowploughs in their cl 21 guise, but I cannot find any photos of post re-build class 29's with mini-snowploughs. Does anyone know if any class 29's were fitted with such for work on the WHL?

Thanks 

The only ones that were fitted with snowplough brackets (though not necessarily with snowploughs) were the GNoS batch (D6138-57); the "English" batch (D6100-37) never had brackets. Whether any of the GNoS batch ended up on the WHL I can't remember, but even if they did, they had features not covered by the Dapol model: sliding cabside windows, blue-star MW equipment and tablet catchers. EDIT: and none of the GNoS batch were converted to Class 29s.  

Additional info: two of the GNoS batch, D6140 and D6152, spent their last months (in the second half of 1967) at Eastfield working as Cowlairs bankers, and escaped on the odd local freight. No photographic evidence exists of D6140 with ploughs, but D6152 had them, and that's your best chance of a plough-fitted loco making it to the WHL. However, in addition to the details mentioned above, D6152 had one-off guttering around its bodyside grilles. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3