Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• RMweb Premium

The valance looks odd enough that I suspect it's been 'thrown together' for the EP while they sort out doing it properly. I hope so, anyway.

Valance issue aside; it’s encouraging that they have got the crucial windscreen appearance just right to my eye. It’s still early days so hopefully the front valance error is not beyond correcting. After all, observations like this are the reason that manufacturers throw early EP images out to the public. Any manufacturer should now be fully aware of the critical, well-trained eyes that exist within the modelling community, so Dapol (I hope) have released this image in the full knowledge that critical observation will be received. I expect this is a 3D printed sample so capable of manipulation before doing a further prototype.

Highlighted issue notwithstanding, this prototype shows promise.

D4.

• Like 1

After waiting for this beastie for so long, one hopes that Dapol do pay attention.

It would be infuriating to see this error manifested in the production model...

The valance looks odd enough that I suspect it's been 'thrown together' for the EP while they sort out doing it properly. I hope so, anyway.

I think this may be an un-painted diecast surface we're looking at. Which in turn suggests the whole underframe casting has been tooled to match the inadequate body turnunder :(

The Nim.

As you say Nimbus it looks like a raw casting finish and in reality perhaps isn't that bad - again, the biggest issue is the lack of a definite change from the side to the turnunder - I certainly can't see a crisp transition like this just above the top of the cab step;

8392450774_c01f5ba01e_o.jpg
D6121 by Hugh Llewelyn, on Flickr

Come on Dapol you can do better than that. Don't make silly mistakes like Oxford Rail seem rather capable of!

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 3

They've had a lot of experts on this and only had a meeting recently with these experts. So hopefully this is already in the process of rectification. I don't think the photo gives it a full justification and doesn't allow you to fully pick out all the details. But other than the lower valance it looks spot on.

Expurts - a bit late in the day when that's an EP on the go.  It doesn't take an expert to spot the blatantly obvious.  There can't be too many ex-NBL designers on the go plus I thought (according to DJM when he was there) they'd found some of the original drawings.  It looks like they are attempting to re-use the Class 22 chassis design.

• RMweb Premium

As you say Nimbus it looks like a raw casting finish and in reality perhaps isn't that bad - again, the biggest issue is the lack of a definite change from the side to the turnunder - I certainly can't see a crisp transition like this just above the top of the cab step;

8392450774_c01f5ba01e_o.jpg

D6121 by Hugh Llewelyn, on Flickr

Come on Dapol you can do better than that. Don't make silly mistakes like Oxford Rail seem rather capable of!

Hi Bob

Having a second look I can see what you mean, there is no turnunder like on the real thing along the whole body side.

A well just means getting file out and shaping it, then repainting the bottom part of the body......on a loco that will be in the £150 price range. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

Now that would be a pity Clive!  As 34C pointed out Hornby came close to it and anyone whose altered one of those can spot that lovely transition that gives the buffer beam sides their signature (for want of a better word) look....

Here's a clear shot of the demarcation between the Rail Blue & Rail Warning Yellow courtesy of Mike Mather

11409806855_2ddedcee23_o.jpgRail Blue. by Mike Mather, on Flickr

At least one (D6107) had the yellow carried up right to the top edge too, as per the green with FYE livery.

http://dieselimagegallery.com/detail/470-D8118;D6107;class-200;200;20118;Green;small-yellow-warning-panels;GSY;passenger;Larbert-station;Larbert;D8118-1-S;3165;Jim-Binnie.html

Agree with the turn-under and bufferbeam valence points raised. Having a join in the valence seems a bad idea to me due to the multitude of angles going on in that area.

That said, it looks pretty good in all other areas to my eye. I wonder how far behind is the class 29 with its different bodyside* and roof details?

Edit: * "bodyside" substituted for "grille", viz class 21 engine room window (one per side) being replaced with a grille, with another added below it on the 29s.

Edited by Signaller69

• RMweb Premium

44 with a 33 is not a problem. 33s regularly worked the Dunstable branch and 44s will have passed through Luton.

I know Bob will get upset for carrying on with the off topic conversation. Class 44s did not work south of Wellingborough. As a trainspotter from Bedford, I had to travel to Wellingborough or Kettering to see them. Now 33s and 27s together at Luton..... :yes:

Less of that Clive I've already had to ask someone to pick up the toy's off the pavement this week.... :)

p.s.It wouldn't be so bad if (a) It actually had something to do with the topic and (b) I knew what the hell you were going on about!

Is the loco one of the small number painted in two-tone green for the bodysides?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2018/post-18572-0-11641700-1516387840.jpg

It's D6123, the first class 29 conversion to be carried out, which uniquely retained disc headcodes vice 4-character headcode boxes. The 29's received two tone green whereas the 21's were plain green as Jim notes above. Although I'm not sure but D6107 may have received BR blue FYE upon new conversion to a 29, which may explain the full height FYE compared to others which were repainted later?

Edit: It is a particularly useful photo for examining an ex-works Class 29 roof, such photos are rare. It is interesting that the roof panels are different colours. As this was the first conversion it would also be interesting to know if the others had exactly the same roof layout or not.

Edited by Signaller69

... there is no turnunder like on the real thing along the whole body side. A well just means getting file out and shaping it, then repainting the bottom part of the body...

Should it prove necessary, the method for a 'fix' will be dependent on factors we cannot see such as the wall thickness of the moulding, and width, construction and material choices of the mechanism within. It would not be a trivial job, because for a start it is very unlikely that the body wall thickness will be anywhere near enough for the full depth of the bevelled turnunder.

All hypothetical, let's see if Dapol can make all this moot.

Hi Bob

Having a second look I can see what you mean, there is no turnunder like on the real thing along the whole body side.

A well just means getting file out and shaping it, then repainting the bottom part of the body......on a loco that will be in the £150 price range. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

As 34C says, plus, did Dapol muse "Hmm, now the battery box looks too far in. Better widen it to match the valance, so noone will notice"?

The Nim

Edited by Nimbus

I think all the locos that were converted to class 29 had the two tone green

Jim

D6107 and 8 were painted blue with full yellows wen they were refurbished IIRC. All the rest were two tone green. I'm not sure if any of the t.t. green ones were released with full yellows though.

Cheers mate.

Problem when using a phone to browse. Looks like the issue has been brought up on the Digest page already. Just awaiting a response.

Edit: just noticed it's you Loch long.

It's on Dapols front page on the moving image slide

Edited by spackz