Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Ally Pally proved impossible for me, due family commitments, so very grateful for the above pictures. At least the slight bend or crease mid way up the body side appears to be present, in the pictures ADB has posted. So it's the bevelled turnunder of the bottom of the body side, and fairing around the ends from the buffer beam that really need attention.

Email just in from Hattons:

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Dapol 4D-014-001 Class 29 D6114 in BR green with small yellow panels £129.15

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between December 2018 & January 2019

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 

This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful

Jim

I'd be looking to renumber D6102 to D6120, Ipswich's first allox Cl.21 in July 1959 (previously posted link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26292271@N05/31862012642/in/album-72157672925816784/ ).

Is there any visual difference between the pilot scheme batch and the rushed out production machines that may scupper my plans please?

TIA, C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

I'd be looking to renumber D6102 to D6120, Ipswich's first allox Cl.21 in July 1959 (previously posted link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26292271@N05/31862012642/in/album-72157672925816784/ ).

Is there any visual difference between the pilot scheme batch and the rushed out production machines that may scupper my plans please?

TIA, C6T.

I think the production batch may have had the later style main radiator grills - can anyone confirm whether they had this from new?

• RMweb Gold

TIA, C6T.

Cab eye brow vents were only upto D6121.

However around 1964 it would appear D6121 /6122 swapped cabs thus giving D6122 eyebrows, whilst D6121 no longer did. (D6122 had an accident not long before D6121 was sent for rebuild which included removing the doors /replacing discs with head codes). At Barry there’s pictures of D6122 with the underlying D6121 number showing through, giving rise to all kinds of conspiracy theories.

Thanks for that info, I suspected mention was made earlier in the thread about the "eyebrows" but couldn't be sure.

Pending confirmation on the rad grilles then I'm looking OK with D6120.

C6T.

Just had another look and they are doing D6120 as an initial release, but as I don't want yellow panels, I'm guessing a renumbering exercise is an easier proposition than removal of the yellow...

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Today is December 17th, and you are now officially correct, the thread equals the life of D6157.

In 3 months 15 days, (April 2nd 2018) it exceeds D6156.

Oops my maths was slightly out, but two weeks ago the thread equalled the life of D6156.

By April 6th D6155 will have a life equal to this thread.

If the model was released December 31st 2018, the development will have exceeded the operational life of 25 class members D6157-6153,6151-6138, 6136-6134

• Like 1

It seems you all have plenty of time to decide which model you want.

SO Calm down.

Take deep breaths.

And make the wisest choice.

What's the panic!

Mind you, it might all have changed by Dec 2018 or Jan 2019!

I had a long chat with Richard on the Dapol stand at Ally Pally on Saturday. He pointed out it was an EP and that the glaring errors on the tumblehome, the etched grille and some roofline issues were already being sorted - he was fairly confident of a December issue although put the usual disclaimer with it!

I had hold of one, and one of the things we chatted about was conversion to EM (or P4 for that matter). There's plenty of room between the bogies to do a conversion without having to resort to the scalpel to shave plastic off - the wheels are spoked as per the original so in that respect unless someone produces a set (Possibly unlikely given Ultrascale's reluctance with the 22) then its either a wheelpull or make your own. Having already converted a Dapol 122 using just a wheelpuller - https://newheymodelrailway.wordpress.com/2017/08/18/another-convert-to-the-cause/ - I'm pretty confident of this option.

• Like 1

It appears that the initial batch (D6100-09) had the original full length grille with horizontal slats (as per the Hornby model). There is uncertainty about the next batch (D6110-37) as grilles were quickly changed to a shorter version with vertical slats. Both these batches initially were ER locos and also had droplight cab windows, whereas the next batch had sliding cab windows. However I have a photo of D6114 at Stratford, (with remarkably clean bogies so it must be nearly new), with the original grille. D6138 onwards went new to Scotland, and had tablet catchers.

(All references from various publications, mainly with supporting photos).

Stewart

It appears that the initial batch (D6100-09) had the original full length grille with horizontal slats (as per the Hornby model). 

I have images of the following, with their associated radiator bodyside apertures:

D6100 Deeper 1959
D6102 Deeper 1958
D6103 Shallower 1959
D6104 Shallower 1960
D6106 Shallower 1966
D6108 Shallower 1960
D6109 Shallower Early on GN

Maybe Dapol needs to re-think D6102, unless it was later reconfigured to match Dapol's sample images?

The Nim.

Having waited such a long time for the 21, I was dismayed to see that there's no Kittybrewster tablet fitted locos on the list.

Are these to come later, or aren't they going to bother?

edit - just looked back through the thread and D6150 was quoted as one of the models to be produced, which has evaporated it seems.

Edited by D6975

Having waited such a long time for the 21, I was dismayed to see that there's no Kittybrewster tablet fitted locos on the list.

Are these to come later, or aren't they going to bother?

edit - just looked back through the thread and D6150 was quoted as one of the models to be produced, which has evaporated it seems.

they may yet do one with the recess with/without the tablet catcher itself ...Heljan managed their tooling to do it for the classes 26/27

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice that sound-fitted versions are promised. I'm wondering how they can possibly do this—none have survived, nor anything similar. And being diesel electric, they should sound different to a hydraulic.

The Howes MAN sound file is probably better suited to this loco than the class 22 as IIRC it was recorded from a diesel-electric rather than a diesel- hydraulic

Phil

I notice that sound-fitted versions are promised. I'm wondering how they can possibly do this—none have survived, nor anything similar. And being diesel electric, they should sound different to a hydraulic.

is there not 35mm cine film of the Class 21/29s when they were in operation in scotland? it might take a bit of cleaning up but I'm sure something should be possible from those

• 1 month later...