We will be upgrading the forum software Wednesday morning - the site may be down for a while during backup/install.

spackz

Dapol Class 21/29

On 03/02/2020 at 10:23, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The H-D Deltic is best politely forgotten, under the heading 'great crimes committed late in their career by once leading model producers'. It could almost as well be a candidate for the Class 37... How bad was the H-D 28?

Should that Ssouthern electro-weasel thing be on the list too? Same sort of dates as the class 50.

the Horby Dublo 28 bodyshell  matches drawings,  the failing is the model is devoid of  apparatus  suspended from the underframe

Edited by Pandora
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2020 at 21:23, adb968008 said:

The bright green on the Dapol one, compares loudly to the much darker looking shade on the above picture.

i’m waiting for the full yellow ended versions, before I judge the sealed doors.

however I have the good book in front of me, and page 68 shows D6114 in Inverurie works for attention, in its workstained class 29 guise, and those sealed doors are exceptionally visible !

It does seem that the door welds were much smoother than what is represented on the BR blue model.......Filler it has to be!! Has anybody got a suggestion as to which manufacturers warning yellow best matches the shade of model for airbrushing?

THK

B

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 21:36, andytrains said:

Floppy lamp iron though!!!!

I was wondering what colour that lamp iron is, it doesn't look yellow...

theres a colour picture if it here, now its minus the “D”, the bracket looks blue, it also has a TOPS data panel..

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47894-sad-eyed-people-the-class-21-and-29-livery-resource/&do=findComment&comment=1795507

Edited by adb968008

56 minutes ago, brenn said:

It does seem that the door welds were much smoother than what is represented on the BR blue model.......Filler it has to be!! Has anybody got a suggestion as to which manufacturers warning yellow best matches the shade of model for airbrushing?

THK

B

I was thinking to use a tiny bit of filler, then mix a bit of Phoenix Yellow, with some grey to lighten it to a match, them just use a tip of a cocktail stick to line out the filler, as there should be some outline visible.

Is it me or is the light green on the TTG 29 a little bit bright?

Comparing to photos of the real thing it looks much too light. Did it weather down more on 29s than it did on Brush 4s?

Having decided to have a bit of a 1971 ‘green’ cameo on Clackmannan Goods with a 29 and a 17 keeping modifications down to P4 wheels, couplings and weathering I now find myself thinking the blue 29 will be a better bet that doesn’t need a partial repaint to get it looking right.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Waveydavey said:

Is it me or is the light green on the TTG 29 a little bit bright?

Comparing to photos of the real thing it looks much too light. Did it weather down more on 29s than it did on Brush 4s?

Having decided to have a bit of a 1971 ‘green’ cameo on Clackmannan Goods with a 29 and a 17 keeping modifications down to P4 wheels, couplings and weathering I now find myself thinking the blue 29 will be a better bet that doesn’t need a partial repaint to get it looking right.

I reckon the early light green was lime green, thinking of early Deltics and Hymeks. I'm sure it was toned down for the later BR Sulzer Type 2s and Brush 4s.

11 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I reckon the early light green was lime green, thinking of early Deltics and Hymeks. I'm sure it was toned down for the later BR Sulzer Type 2s and Brush 4s.

From memory I think the lighter green was referred to as 'Sherwood' Green. Photos of early diesels in plain all over green seem to be shades of olive green rather than Brunswick or maybe that is down to film emulsions of the day

D336 Vulcan loco.jpg

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

From memory I think the lighter green was referred to as 'Sherwood' Green. Photos of early diesels in plain all over green seem to be shades of olive green rather than Brunswick or maybe that is down to film emulsions of the day

D336 Vulcan loco.jpg

Brunswick Green is one of those long perpetuated myths.  Tappy tappy,  or clicky clicky.

The shade of Sherwood Green is quite subjective, I have seen photos of an ex-works Class 17 in sunshine where the "apparent" colour matches the Dapol Class 29 very well, but I suspect it weathered very quickly to a darker, more browny shade which seems typical in most photos. I have a much modified Hornby 29 (original paintwork, though weathered) which can be seen to the right in this photo, with a Dapol model on the left:

20191109_092504.jpg.1eee3bc2d6cebdb426e6e95605030bae.jpg

Of the 2 I think the Dapol colour is closer; I am planning to repaint the Hornby one with Railmatch Sherwood Green as part of an overhaul so will see how it compares to the Dapol colour.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 29/02/2020 at 15:46, Signaller69 said:

The shade of Sherwood Green is quite subjective, I have seen photos of an ex-works Class 17 in sunshine where the "apparent" colour matches the Dapol Class 29 very well, but I suspect it weathered very quickly to a darker, more browny shade which seems typical in most photos. I have a much modified Hornby 29 (original paintwork, though weathered) which can be seen to the right in this photo, with a Dapol model on the left:

20191109_092504.jpg.1eee3bc2d6cebdb426e6e95605030bae.jpg

Of the 2 I think the Dapol colour is closer; I am planning to repaint the Hornby one with Railmatch Sherwood Green as part of an overhaul so will see how it compares to the Dapol colour.

I’ve painted an LGB G scale 2095 into reverse two tone green and found the railmatch sherwood green to be much closer to the Dapol colour than the Hornby. 

Link if anybody would like to see...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

46 minutes ago, Rob Rossington said:

I’ve painted an LGB G scale 2095 into reverse two tone green and found the railmatch sherwood green to be much closer to the Dapol colour than the Hornby. 

Link if anybody would like to see...

Hi Rob,

The colour scheme suits your loco! Thanks for that. Not got round to doing my 29 yet, but it looks as if, as you say, it won't be a million miles off the Dapol shade. The Hornby colour looks more Apple green imho.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Further to the shade of Sherwood Green debate, not very scientific, but here's my Bachby 29 in progress to becoming late condition 6123 (from 6121), which has had Railmatch Sherwood Green applied, with Dapol's D6114 as purchased behind. 20200309_224206.jpg.9e9b0f4f7438488ee8a42405a980e6d1.jpg20200309_224243.jpg.5d8f8dbe3036c892649d781c24f12a49.jpg

The Railmatch colour is not as close to the Dapol as I thought it might be, being clearly a couple of shades darker and appears a good match for prototype "in service" photos, but there are also photos out there showing what appears to be a lighter, more lime green shade, closer to the Dapol model, on some ex-works locos (particularly class 17s) in sunny conditions. 50 year old colour photos can be very subjective of course.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My model arrived yesterday. I am rather pleased with it. One thing I note is it has red circle coupling code. Could these loco s work in multiple with class 31/0's?

Posted (edited)

In theory yes, but I wonder if they actually did. There weren’t many red circle (electro-magnetic) control locos about, the toffee apples, class 16? and these.

Andy g

Edited by uax6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

Also about half of the class 17s too I think?

They were red diamond, not red circle. It was nearly two-thirds of them. Really odd concept to split the equipment across a class.

Roy

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

They were red diamond, not red circle. It was nearly two-thirds of them. Really odd concept to split the equipment across a class.

Roy

Perhaps there was a pressing need to explore ways to make them more reliable! 

40 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Ah yes so they were. Perhaps I was thinking of that other spectacular success, the Metrovick Co-Bos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, uax6 said:

In theory yes, but I wonder if they actually did. There weren’t many red circle (electro-magnetic) control locos about, the toffee apples, class 16? and these.

Andy g

It will be my photo find of the year to see a 31/0 - 29 combination. I do have evidence of an oddball pairing in a Whitemoor Junction train register. In this case it was a class 44 and class 15. 

Links from Facebook page for North British Diesel and Electric Locomotives.

This picture might help a little regarding two tone green:

laurencekirk1967_002[1]

last day at Laurencekirk station, September 1967.

D6102 at same station on same day. From same Flickr account but not clear if it is the same train in both pictures, although this could be of the first one departing?

KJ12LKIRK

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, 26power said:

Links from Facebook page for North British Diesel and Electric Locomotives.

This picture might help a little regarding two tone green:

laurencekirk1967_002[1]

last day at Laurencekirk station, September 1967.

D6102 at same station on same day. From same Flickr account but not clear if it is the same train in both pictures, although this could be of the first one departing?

KJ12LKIRK

O T, but this is my home station. It's changed quite a bit since then.  I must say, it looks lovely in these images.

• Like 1

Without trawling though the whole thread I don't know if we've had these already, anyway here goes - the second pic with D6112 at Fort William shows how grubby the lighter green upper panel could get, even allowing for the age and rendition of the image itself...

9865984126_85c055bee5_b.jpg

NBL D6112.jpg

NBL D6123.jpg

NBL D6154.jpg

NBL FW.jpg

• Like 6

A long shot, does anyone have any evidence of a 29 getting down into Ayrshire,  either to Ayr or down the GSWR?

ive many books but no photos and can see they spent most of their time north of Glasgow but really would like one to appear on Kirkmellington 

thanks

graham

There were some limited trials on coal trains in the Dalmellington area around 1961 ish; the loco involved was D6112 I believe, and there were images in Trains Illustrated that year

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3