Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Surprisingly, the Chinese made Hornby class 29s from about 20 years ago had better printing than the Dapol one of the worksplate. They really look like the aluminium NBL diamonds. Oddly I think the number on the worksplate of the Hornby version is one from a class 22, not 21. Apologies for the Hornby one being slightly out of focus.

DapolCL29.jpg

HornbyCL29.jpg

Edited by peteskitchen

• 2 months later...

I have seen plenty of photos of these locos with mini-snowploughs in their cl 21 guise, but I cannot find any photos of post re-build class 29's with mini-snowploughs. Does anyone know if any class 29's were fitted with such for work on the WHL?

Thanks 

17 hours ago, David41283 said:

I have seen plenty of photos of these locos with mini-snowploughs in their cl 21 guise, but I cannot find any photos of post re-build class 29's with mini-snowploughs. Does anyone know if any class 29's were fitted with such for work on the WHL?

Thanks 

The only ones that were fitted with snowplough brackets (though not necessarily with snowploughs) were the GNoS batch (D6138-57); the "English" batch (D6100-37) never had brackets. Whether any of the GNoS batch ended up on the WHL I can't remember, but even if they did, they had features not covered by the Dapol model: sliding cabside windows, blue-star MW equipment and tablet catchers. EDIT: and none of the GNoS batch were converted to Class 29s.  

Additional info: two of the GNoS batch, D6140 and D6152, spent their last months (in the second half of 1967) at Eastfield working as Cowlairs bankers, and escaped on the odd local freight. No photographic evidence exists of D6140 with ploughs, but D6152 had them, and that's your best chance of a plough-fitted loco making it to the WHL. However, in addition to the details mentioned above, D6152 had one-off guttering around its bodyside grilles. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A spare GSYE 29 body arrived from DCC Supplies yesterday. With me having questioned the lime green used by Dapol on the upper body section it seemed a good idea to respray it with some Lifecolour acrylic Sherwood Green. Much happier with how it looks now.

20210209_141013.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Waveydavey said:

A spare GSYE 29 body arrived from DCC Supplies yesterday. With me having questioned the lime green used by Dapol on the upper body section it seemed a good idea to respray it with some Lifecolour acrylic Sherwood Green. Much happier with how it looks now.

20210209_141013.jpg

Looks much better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a service sheet or wiring diagram for the Dapol 29?

I am looking at putting lights and a DCC socket in my Hornby 29, so have bought as a spare part the main PCB spare part. The lights etc are all easy to identify, but I'm not sure what the pickups are and the motor connections. The only wires remaining are these which seem to end in a switch? What are they for and where are the connections to motor/pick ups?

PXL_20210419_124920627.jpg

PXL_20210419_124943052.jpg

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Does anyone have a service sheet or wiring diagram for the Dapol 29?

I am looking at putting lights and a DCC socket in my Hornby 29, so have bought as a spare part the main PCB spare part. The lights etc are all easy to identify, but I'm not sure what the pickups are and the motor connections. The only wires remaining are these which seem to end in a switch? What are they for and where are the connections to motor/pick ups?

PXL_20210419_124920627.jpg

PXL_20210419_124943052.jpg

Pickups are marked Trk-R and Trk-L on the PCB, likewise the motor is marked M- and M+. You will have to solder to those.

All the wires are lighting /  lighting switch related by the looks of it.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Pickups are marked Trk-R and Trk-L on the PCB, likewise the motor is marked M- and M+. You will have to solder to those.

All the wires are lighting /  lighting switch related by the looks of it.

Roy

Thanks Roy, I can make them out now I've enlarged my photo. 

Hopefully the switches are in a default on setting?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Thanks Roy, I can make them out now I've enlarged my photo. 

Hopefully the switches are in a default on setting?

Most simple slide switches just move a bar inside, so you want the slider to be at the end with the two wires attached to be on.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...