Simple Free Planning Software?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Is there any simple free planning software for OO planning. I'm looking at "round and round" with a few yards, a shed and table and a long straight fiddle yard. Hornby set track and flexi.

I don't want the precision of Templot etc, but would like something to toy around with in the idle hours between looking for new houses.

Thanks

Is there any simple free planning software for OO planning. I'm looking at "round and round" with a few yards, a shed and table and a long straight fiddle yard. Hornby set track and flexi.

I don't want the precision of Templot etc, but would like something to toy around with in the idle hours between looking for new houses.

Thanks

Most of the track-planners on this forum use XTrkCad(FREEWARE) - there is a Yahoo group and there are tutorials availkable, but be aware that ALL track planning programs have a learning curve, some steeper than others. You cannot pick up any and GO from the start. It is also true that the best way to learn XTrkCad is to play with it - initially it will seem to do things a bit oddly (and it does have one or two Quirks), but most users find that after a short while of "playing", somewhere inside your head a switch goes "CLICK!" and it all becomes obvious.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all. I did a CAD course 10 years ago and have bashed out the occasional plan with it, so I'll be used to "quirks" - all CAD programmes seem to have them.

I'd be inclined to go with DJH on this one. I used the trial version of anyrail for months before buying it and found you can actually do quite a lot with just 50 pieces of track. I have since paid for the full version and banged out a half dozen or so plans.

Maybe I'll get around to building one eventually! :D

• RMweb Premium

I too have used XTrkCAD. As previously mentioned, it has its quirks, some of which are infuriating. However, if you persevere with it, it does seem to do the job quite well. I was pleased with the ability ofbeing able to print out a full size track plan for my N Gauge layout, Cowleazeford, to be able to check some of the spacing issues. It was quite accurate and certainly helped to get the track and turnout geometry correct.

Neil

Personally I've been a Winrail user for over 10 years now and have gradually upgraded from version 3 to version 7.

The latest version is 10 but now I have finished designing what will, hopefully, be my final layout I think I will stick with version 7.

There is a free trial version which allows you to try it out, though you can't save any of the layout designs you make.

Here's a link to the Winrail website for those that might be interested. Winrail

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Another vote for Anyrail.

I work with CAD all day (for what its worth) - I've only ever used the free version with the 50 piece limit but I have never reached that limit on the smaller stuff I plan. Even if you do you could attack the whole layout in different '50 piece' sections.

I have tried xtrkcad and it seemed no where near as intuative - but perhaps I didn't persevere enough!

Try it - nothing to lose.

Cheers,

James

One of the posters mentioned WinRail. While it is not a freebie software, I like it very much. It is fairly easy to use and with a little exercise, one can produce nicely enhanced track plans, like this one:

DRGWHOn3-1.jpg

If you are happy with a track library limited to Atlas track, WinRail is also available free of charge from the Atlas homepage. It is called Right Track System there.

I used Xtracad and was pointed towards the Tillig track file from the Yahoo group. It was OK and the plan has been largely adhered to. I transferred the measurements to the baseboards as I didn't think that printing umpteen sheets of A4 paper was really an option. A good way to check ideas and minimum curve radii but not much more than a planning aid I fear.

Quite addictive though as a sort of a game for railway modellers.

No track planning tool is ever more than a planning aid.

The final design tool will be Eyeball 1.0 anyway.

Cheers

David

Actually no. Templot for instance is quite capable of designing a custom turnout and printing a precision template to build it on.

Even XtraCad could print a whole layout and you could lay track over the template.

Only rigid set track can be laid by eye. Everything else needs a long ruler, a pencil and a piece of string.

I actually found that laying curved points was really aided by the Xtracad as it gives accurate positions on crosshairs for each piece of track and one can enlarge the track to full size to obtain these measurements plus each curved point was then capable of having a compound curve for entry and exit to avoid the trainset look but maintain the measurements of the curve at greater than the set curve.

Given my time again ( and with more of it ) I would hand build all the track.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned SCARM, which has been mentioned on here a number of times. the link to the thread is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/22613-scarm-modelling-software/.

It's totally free and is still under development, I've only had a brief play with it but it's certainly much friendlier than XtraCad for laying track, although I'm not certain about room and baseboard sizes etc, that seems to me to be a bit trickier.

Keith

Actually no. Templot for instance is quite capable of designing a custom turnout and printing a precision template to build it on.

Even XtraCad could print a whole layout and you could lay track over the template.

As will Winrail. I have printed my whole layout out at 1:1 and am doing just that.

See picture in My Blog

I use XtrkCAD as well, and find it clunky and counterintuitive, but it does the job and the range of turnout libraries is excellent. It also does nice easements with minimal fuss. The ability to "run" trains and check clearances is pretty good too.

I found the animated tutorials helpful for figuring things out.

Only rigid set track can be laid by eye.

I did a rough outline for Whitemarsh with XTrkCAD, but laid all the track (code 75 flexible and matching points) by eye using rolling stock to determine final lengths. I find the two-part cork underlay (the one which is split down the centreline) excellent for producing transition curves and ensuring good "flow". I will admit to using a ruler from time to time though :)

med_gallery_7119_994_154996.jpg

Not saying that this is better than properly planned + measured, but it does have an organic quality to it that I like.

[edit: just tried SCARM - I like it quite a bit. It can't do all the things XTrkCAD can do, especially smooth joins, but the interface for what it *can* do is great.]

Cheers,

Will

Only rigid set track can be laid by eye. Everything else needs a long ruler, a pencil and a piece of string.

Stuff and nonsense. I have never, ever used pencil and string for curves and never, ever had any problems running trains on said curves.

Cheers

David

Archived