How to Unload Bulk Wagons at Breweries and Creameries?

M.I.B

I haven't for gotten churns and barrels. When I am in my local model shop I often chuck a blister pack of barrels or churns or crates in with whatever it was I went in there for.

Thanks to a fellow RM webber I have a photo of a grain discharge system from 73, but we are agreed that because we don't know who has copy right, we won't post it. I will however start a drawing soon.

It's not high tech and the 1973 solution was probably the same as the 1943 solution. Under each grain wagon is a fixed hopper about 12" tall with a 12" x 12" square open top, which feeds into a 6" pipe running along the length of the track. The pipe is at sleeper level. These collector hoppers are spaced to fit under the centre of each grain wagon. Inside the pipe is a screw conveyor which drags the grain off to some sort of intermediate station. This level of detail we can't see in the photo, but as we are both engineers we seem to have "guessed the rest".

At this transfer point ( still under the rake of grain wagons) the grain goes into a larger diameter screw conveyor ( "X" times the diameter of the initial pipe because it is drawing from multiple hoppers and thinner pipes). This pipe is perpendicular to the track and terminates at the bottom of your choice of grain elevator (belt, screw etc).

My hybrid will start with the PECO ash pit kit, and will cope with 3 grain wagons at a time. 3 mini hoppers with a small pipe going into 2 "machinery spaces" made from chequer plate. One fat pipe will lead off to the brewery, with an inspection manhole (Square of chequer plate) between the 2 tracks I have planned. (The grain discharge has a "finished goods out" siding between it and the brewery).

an old post but one that is now of interest to me so if that drawing has been done,I would appreciate seing it please.

• RMweb Premium

an old post but one that is now of interest to me so if that drawing has been done,I would appreciate seing it please.

Ron, A great deal of water under the bridge since then which has meant that the drawing never got started - it is in my head still. Sorry but just after my post I lost my job (still not got one) and then aged 40+ had to move back into my parents place (5 hours drive from my home) to care for them both full time.

The explanation will have to suffice for now. Let me know if I need to expand it.

Archived