100 ton Tank Train formations -1970s

Rail-Online

Hi,

I have searched the Forum without success as I am interested in having a complete train of 100ton tanks. The ones I have are Bachmann Esso TEAs and I wondered how long a prototype train was (too long I know!) and if liveries were ever mixed? I can't find my Tourrett at the moment -would that help?

The period I am interested in is pre-TOPS, exactly when were they intoduced and on what services?

Cheers Tony

Hi,

I have searched the Forum without success as I am interested in having a complete train of 100ton tanks. The ones I have are Bachmann Esso TEAs and I wondered how long a prototype train was (too long I know!) and if liveries were ever mixed? I can't find my Tourrett at the moment -would that help?

The period I am interested in is pre-TOPS, exactly when were they intoduced and on what services?

Cheers Tony

Pre-TOPS I think a lot more enthesis was put on 'image' by BR and the oil companies, and early block trains of TEA's seen on film and in photo's tend to have a uniform appearance where livery is concerned. I have seen a BR publicity clip with double headed class 47's on a block oil train, with all the TEA's in the same livery. 10 to 15 vehicles would probably be enough for a type 4 loco such as a peak or 47 to handle single handedly.

• RMweb Gold

The Waterston- Albion 'Gulf' tank trains, which ran past my school from 1967 onward, used to load to 11 wagons with a single Brush Type 4. These tanks were black or grey with a Gulf emblem; tanks from Esso, Shell and Mobil of the same period seemed to be similarily clean and branded.

That was about the maximum a Brush Type 4 (Class 47) could manage on the gradients - they were limited to 1220 tonnes trailing on workings from Robeston and Waterston while a single EE Type 3 (Class 37) wasn't allowed much less at 910 tonnes trailing. The big problem with the Brush 4s on freight was lack of adhesion (no sanders) and gearing which didn't seem to help - I remember being on one on a train of tank cars stopped at the top of the bank approaching Victoria Sdgs at Ebbw Vale and the Driver had a real struggle restarting the train (which think was probably no more than 9 x 100 ton cars).

Guest stuartp

My own (very casual) research only goes up to 1965 but at that point Shell/BP and Esso ran separate distribution systems. As far as block trains were concerned you should not see tanks from one in the other's train or at the other's refinery. There were also subsidiaries of these two (Regent for example), I would guess in theory they could run in the owning company's trains, they certainly did prior to 1965.

as stated above oil trains were normally in company block trains - the trains out of the Isle of Grain refinery way back when were always 10 - 11 100t tanks with a pair of 33's but there's nothing to stop you running a wagon works back to refinery train or a single tank within an ordinary freight running to a yard for delivery to a wagon works or local repair - this happened a lot and I've used it as an excuse to have the odd Gulf / Mobil tank from Bachmann cos they look nice but can't afford a block trains worth.

• 10 years later...
On 25/11/2010 at 15:02, Rail-Online said:

Hi,

Cheers Tony

Edited by paul 27
delete

Just came across this post did the Esso 100t tea tanks ever reach the northwest, 

i know the smaller tanks did,  cannot find any photos of these pre tops 

in the late 60s i know they were introduced from 67 only seen the

shell / bp in this area at the same time.

Edited by paul 27
Delete post

• RMweb Gold

The length of the block trains depended on the permitted load for the booked locomotive over the route, which was limited by the ‘ruling gradient’, the steepest along that route.  Diversionary routes were set with this in mind.  Block TEA trains were one of the staples of my 1970s career as a freight guard at Canton; we relieved the crews at Canton Sidings and worked them to Hereford, Gloucester, or Swindon for relief, or the empties downline to Llanelli for the various Milford Haven refineries, or to termination at Llandarcy.  Liveries were not mixed and a common feature was one clean     tank in a train of heavily oil stained filthy ones.  

Locos on our jobs were mostly 47s and occasionally Westerns, with 11 on, and permitted speed was 60mph.  The Llanelli drivers did not ‘traction sign’ 45s or 46s.   The Waterston-Albion Gulf trains ran via Hereford at that time and were worked by pairs of 37s in multiple; these loaded to 16 tanks and made a very impressive noise on the banks!