The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

And Leeds United have sacked the Head Coach, Paul Heckingbottom, and most of the training staff...

Sorry, it's not really news, is it ? :sarcastichand:

Zidane would be nice, butt he needs to get his head in the right place....

With the start of the Footie World Cup now less than a fortnight away I thought I've have a rant about the England squad. I’m surprised we aren’t taking a lot of injured players – or perhaps we are – we usually do.

• In place of Stirling I’d have taken Ashley Barnes who scored eight goals in his last 9 games (or something like that) and doesn’t fall over at every tackle and certainly doesn’t constantly gets booked for simulation like Stirling. Plus he can head the ball. And what prat has a tattoo of a weapon that killed his father on his leg? Somehow I doubt it was an automatic assault riffle that did the deed and why would you want to celebrate such a thing anyway? Idiot. It demonstrates his poor decision making.
  • At left back cover I’d have taken Ryan Sessegnon (current England under 21 player) rather than the old carthorse Ashley Young who is now well past it. Sessegnon scored 15 goals last season from left back – how many did Ashley Young get?
  • And in place of the lightweight midfielder Jesse Lingard I’d have taken Jonjo Shelvey – he offers a lot more bite, can put his foot on the ball, spots and makes good forward passes that start attacks, and doesn’t shirk tackles.

Just my opinion. But having just got back from hospital and under orders to relax and rest for four weeks I'll be camping on my couch for convalescence and recouperation and watching just about all the games.

G

Just my opinion. But having just got back from hospital and under orders to relax and rest for four weeks I'll be camping on my couch for convalescence and recouperation and watching just about all the games.

G

If you are under orders to relax and rest then perhaps you had better not watch any England games!

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It certainly gets difficult when a player has a reputation for diving. Thought the booking in last game was wrong.

I agree about Shelvey's ability. But he has not moved around clubs so much without there being a reason. Managers don't trust his temperament and that can be a real problem in tournament football.

If you are under orders to relax and rest then perhaps you had better not watch any England games!

cheers

Yep, maybe. :scratchhead: 

But luckily I've no expectation about England's performance and results, so no pressure there. And it'll be nice to see how the other teams negate England and play their way around us. Our big failing is the inability to adapt and break down the opposition - think Iceland.  

G. 

It certainly gets difficult when a player has a reputation for diving. Thought the booking in last game was wrong.

I agree about Shelvey's ability. But he has not moved around clubs so much without there being a reason. Managers don't trust his temperament and that can be a real problem in tournament football.

Mind you, Stirling seems to have the same dodgy temperament. He was sent off for England for violent conduct in an international tournament and is often booked. I guess refs will be on the lookout for diving and having a reputation for it will mean he will be under greater scrutiny. And opposition players will look to wind him up (Ali probably also falls in to that category) to take advantage. 

G

In place of Stirling I’d have taken Ashley Barnes who scored eight goals in his last 9 games (or something like that) and doesn’t fall over at every tackle and certainly doesn’t constantly gets booked for simulation like Stirling. Plus he can head the ball. And what prat has a tattoo of a weapon that killed his father on his leg? Somehow I doubt it was an automatic assault riffle that did the deed and why would you want to celebrate such a thing anyway? Idiot. It demonstrates his poor decision making.

You're lucky they aren't taking anyone by the name of Stirling, then, aren't you...

If you are going to have a rant at least get your names right...  :rolleyes:

Sterling has done well for us this season, England already have a goal scorer in the squad, Sterling is there to provide the service which hopefully he will do, so how many goals he's scored in the last nine games is largely irrelevant, as are his tattoos, he's just a kid and kids with lots of money tend to do stupid things, that being one of them, though that hardly rates banning him from the squad I'd have thought... Some players you cab't even see the skin colour for tattoos! I agree about diving, but he's hardly alone in that and out of 192 games he's had 20 bookings and one sending off, hardly disastrous...

Edited by Hobby

With the start of the Footie World Cup now less than a fortnight away I thought I've have a rant about the England squad....

I'm off to Paddy Power to ask what odds they might offer on England exiting at the group stage.

I'm off to Paddy Power to ask what odds they might offer on England exiting at the group stage.

That won't be worth a bet - it'll be odds on with us favourites not to win a game. Everyone is already on that.

G

• Like 1

I would agree with some of the earlier comments about the England squad.  I am not a fan of Raheem Sterling and also think he is too erratic. I am not convinced by Lingard either, but would not have taken Shelvey because his temperament is very dodgy. I disagree with the Young / Sessignon comments though. The young lad at Fulham has never played in the Premier League, and spent much of the season playing on the left of a front three (hardly left back). I think he is too inexperienced. That said, I would not have taken Welbeck either. He has hardly played enough this season. Who I would have taken instead is questionable however. 

With the start of the Footie World Cup now less than a fortnight away I thought I've have a rant about the England squad. I’m surprised we aren’t taking a lot of injured players – or perhaps we are – we usually do.

• In place of Stirling I’d have taken Ashley Barnes who scored eight goals in his last 9 games (or something like that) and doesn’t fall over at every tackle and certainly doesn’t constantly gets booked for simulation like Stirling. Plus he can head the ball. And what prat has a tattoo of a weapon that killed his father on his leg? Somehow I doubt it was an automatic assault riffle that did the deed and why would you want to celebrate such a thing anyway? Idiot. It demonstrates his poor decision making.

G

I'm trying to be positive about Sterling - obviously a great potential talent - so I tend to agree with "poor decision making" in respect of his tattoo. In his own limited brain, he probably really does think that this is an appropriate tribute to his late dad, but to almost anyone else, it's a crass and ridiculous idea, especially with all the gun-related death in London and elsewhere this year.

Maybe it's lucky that Raheem's dad hadn't been abused as a child - he might be sporting a tattoo of Jimmy Savile now...

Sorry if that last remark is in bad taste, but it sums up how I feel about this nasty tattoo. After seeing recent TV appearances, I have come to accept Sterling as a quietly-spoken, decent lad, but someone should have been on hand to advise him on this.

Try looking at the tattoos on other "sportsmen"... I know two wrongs don't make a right but it seems to me that 90% of the time if people decide to have a tattoo it'll be offensive to someone, regardless of the subject... Best not to bother at all, or if you do make it one of those ones that wipe off...

What does it really matter, though, in the grand scheme of things, people take offence too easily these days. He's given his interpretation of it, that should be an end of it...

But Hey, they have to fill 24 hour sports channels somehow...

Edited by Hobby

am begining to wonder just what a small now league 2 club have done to the daily fails sports department to warrent this pile of garbage http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5808305/The-story-Oldham-Athletics-financial-troubles-mystifying-transfers-unpaid-wages.html

second hatchet job doom and gloom article about the club in as many months .99% of it is basrd on speculative postings on fans forums abd anything upto sixmonths out of date but the journo conserned did have form for this when he worked for the now defunct localrag

am begining to wonder just what a small now league 2 club have done to the daily fails sports department to warrent this pile of garbage http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5808305/The-story-Oldham-Athletics-financial-troubles-mystifying-transfers-unpaid-wages.html

second hatchet job doom and gloom article about the club in as many months .99% of it is basrd on speculative postings on fans forums abd anything upto sixmonths out of date but the journo conserned did have form for this when he worked for the now defunct localrag

Makes you wonder about his agenda. But is there any truth to what he has written?

Makes you wonder about his agenda. But is there any truth to what he has written?

its ;largely a re hash of speculative postings on fanboards and twitter so lots of rumors and unattributed "quotes " from insiders  most of which went on under the previous owner who was summarily removed from the the board after a similar damaging article was published in the sun the day before our crucial last game of the season . 

admittedly the club is in a shocking state and the new owner has admitted making mistakes over the first five months of his ownership  but says he is learning from them he is being much more open with the supporters trust etc just needs to be left alone to get on with stabilizing the club and working forward crap like this doesent help !

ps for all the problems and the relegation season ticket sales are up 200 on last season so some optimism seems to exist among the fans 

• Like 1

its ;largely a re hash of speculative postings on fanboards and twitter so lots of rumors and unattributed "quotes " from insiders  most of which went on under the previous owner who was summarily removed from the the board after a similar damaging article was published in the sun the day before our crucial last game of the season . 

admittedly the club is in a shocking state and the new owner has admitted making mistakes over the first five months of his ownership  but says he is learning from them he is being much more open with the supporters trust etc just needs to be left alone to get on with stabilizing the club and working forward crap like this doesent help !

ps for all the problems and the relegation season ticket sales are up 200 on last season so some optimism seems to exist among the fans 

and now this  http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_152847313386013&key=79bd9386a12d9ac58a81d42672c87dc4&libId=ji657b2x0100pw15000DActjt1mvf&subId=87018&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.owtb.co.uk%2Ftopic%2F50547-wellens-sacked%2F&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldhamathletic.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2018%2Fjune%2F08062018-club-statement-richie-wellens%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.owtb.co.uk%2Fforum%2F1-the-terraces-latics-forum%2F&title=Wellens%20sacked!%20-%20The%20Terraces%20-%20Latics%20Forum%20-%20OWTB%20Forums&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldhamathletic.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2018%2Fjune%2F08062018-club-statement-richie-wellens%2Foldham athletic the teams that keeps on giving 

Sod the football, Scotland just beat England at a certain game called cricket, LOL!!!!

The second of a trio of sporting 'disasters' - first the England Rugby team, then the England Cricket team with the England footie team to follow shortly.......