The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Another helping of Puelboreball this afternoon with masses of possession, plenty of ponderously slow predictable pointless and frequently inaccurate passing, very few clear chances created and yet another home defeat - you know you are in trouble when Shane Long actually manages to score a goal against you and you can't create anything worthwhile despite playing against 10 men for the whole of the second half.

Still at least the fan unrest seems to be growing with stewards confiscating protest banners at the King Power this afternoon

I don't mind losing, as it's what Leicester City have been good at for most of the last 135 years, but losing with a bit of excitement during the game wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by cary hill

The idea behind VAR is fine but it's supposed to correct clear and obvious errors (or something like that I thought). Just watching the Southampton/Derby game and Derby scored. They are lined up ready to kick off when VAR decides after a couple of minutes that Waghorne's boot lace was offside so they all have to troop back down the Southampton end. Ultimately his boot lace was possibly offside but a couple of minutes for something that wasn't an obvious error with everyone waiting to kick off (there were no Southampton offside protests) is a joke.

The idea behind VAR is fine but it's supposed to correct clear and obvious errors (or something like that I thought). Just watching the Southampton/Derby game and Derby scored. They are lined up ready to kick off when VAR decides after a couple of minutes that Waghorne's boot lace was offside so they all have to troop back down the Southampton end. Ultimately his boot lace was possibly offside but a couple of minutes for something that wasn't an obvious error with everyone waiting to kick off (there were no Southampton offside protests) is a joke.

The VAR official was clearly a member of Leeds staff to have "spied" that potential offside!

And now they've had a VAR decision go their way which looked more offside than the first.

WTF are you on about??

The trailing leg of the Southampton defender played them onside AND the ball went straight in.

"Should have gone to Specsavers!"

Big shock in the Scottish Cup - Junior League Auchinleck have knocked out Ayr United! Hopefully more shocks to come.

On the subject of mildly obscure Scottish football, Fort William are playing Cove Rangers today. FW are bottom of the Highland League, Cove are top. FW's current goal difference of around -150 does not indicate that an upset is on the cards. I predict something in the region of a 12-nil rout. See you at 5 o'clock to review this forecast!

Edited to add: the match has been called off due to a frozen pitch, but my prediction still stands, as and when this fixture is rearranged!

Edited by Steve K

Interesting variation this lunchtime on "Puelbore" football - attempting to play and win without any sort of  defence - scoring three goals away from home and getting nothing to show for it is still no good but I guess the game was "entertaining" for the neutral.

so looks like we may be getting latics fan and local lad paul scholes in the hot seat at ice station zebra popular move with most as with his conections hopefully can strengthen the squad .also have to say a big well done to sol campbell at macclesfield turning them around and getting them climbing away from the bottom of the league is no mean feat as they looked to be gone this season

On the subject of mildly obscure Scottish football, Fort William are playing Cove Rangers today. FW are bottom of the Highland League, Cove are top. FW's current goal difference of around -150 does not indicate that an upset is on the cards. I predict something in the region of a 12-nil rout. See you at 5 o'clock to review this forecast!

Edited to add: the match has been called off due to a frozen pitch, but my prediction still stands, as and when this fixture is rearranged!

Would it not just be simpler to award the match to Cove Rangers 10-0 and save an awful lot of blood, sweat and tears ?!

Anyway, what about my home town club, Oxford United; We lost, pathetically, at home to Southend Utd and Bristol Rovers, but then beat the League leaders Portsmouth yesterday - This is why we (sometimes) love football !

• Like 1

Interesting variation this lunchtime on "Puelbore" football - attempting to play and win without any sort of  defence - scoring three goals away from home and getting nothing to show for it is still no good but I guess the game was "entertaining" for the neutral.

It was entertaining, watching 2 teams not really mastering the art of defence. Honestly, a draw would have been a fair result (I say that as one of your neutrals, watching the highlights on MOTD). The offside law, though, is just one of the many things that baffles and annoys me these days - how was that 4th Wolves goal not offside? I realise that Jota wasn't strictly offside for the final pass, but he was a mile off on the previous touch - effectively, he was goal-hanging and avoiding having to run as far to get his final touch.

Another bafflement/annoyance from yesterday's games: Mo Salah. Awesome player, but why was he not booked for the penalty-seeking dive when his team were 1-0 down? Mightn't have affected the result, but it would have helped fans think that top teams don't get all of the decisions their way!

• RMweb Gold

Another bafflement/annoyance from yesterday's games: Mo Salah. Awesome player, but why was he not booked for the penalty-seeking dive when his team were 1-0 down? Mightn't have affected the result, but it would have helped fans think that top teams don't get all of the decisions their way!

Players diving - cheating but it's OK. Professional fouls - cheating but it's just taking one for the team. Time wasting substitutions - cheating but it's all part of the game. Managers slagging off opponents, referees and the team doctor - obnoxious but it's just mind games. Let's not even mention agents, ownership tests for suitability and financial fair play.

However, take the eminently sensible step of watching opponents and it is morally corrupt and the end of the world as we know it. Hypocrisy or what?

• Like 2

Players diving - cheating but it's OK. Professional fouls - cheating but it's just taking one for the team. Time wasting substitutions - cheating but it's all part of the game. Managers slagging off opponents, referees and the team doctor - obnoxious but it's just mind games. Let's not even mention agents, ownership tests for suitability and financial fair play.

However, take the eminently sensible step of watching opponents and it is morally corrupt and the end of the world as we know it. Hypocrisy or what?

Nothing wrong with watching opposition, but breaking into the training ground to spy from private property is not on. Then again dirty Leeds also dive, professional foul and score goals with their hands too. The only joke was the Leeds statement about the honesty and integrity of the club.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with watching opposition, but breaking into the training ground to spy from private property is not on. Then again dirty Leeds also dive, professional foul and score goals with their hands too. The only joke was the Leeds statement about the honesty and integrity of the club.

I didn't realise that they had broken in to the training ground. surely that is a police matter.

My comment was more about the hypocrisy and outrage shown when there is so much else going on that is cheating but that the vast majority of clubs, managers, players and supporters accept and quite often praise.

I may be in the minority, but I hate it when players from "my" team - club or country - dive and cheat, probably even more so than when the opposition do it. It's embarrassing, basically, to see athletes (because that's what they are, like them or loathe them) fall around, feigning injury or otherwise cheating the other side.

To take just one example - it was unpleasant to watch Diego Simeone fall over to get David Beckham sent off in the 1998 World Cup, but in the same fixture 4 years later, it was pathetic to see Michael Owen dive to get a penalty after Mauricio Pocchetino (yes, that one!) failed to touch him. That dive soured the result for me.

That said, I've just re-watched some highlights from that 2002 game, just to confirm that Owen did dive, and some of the tackles flying in were fairly brutal! Proper competitive international football, not like the stop-start sub-championship rubbish* that passes for world class these days...

*Disclaimer: other opinions about the relative standards of club and international football are available. Standards may go up or down. Your blood pressure may be at risk if you take anything I say too seriously.

• RMweb Gold

Standard of refereeing this weekend has been awful.

Does that justify VAR? I'm still not 100% convinced by VAR as currently applied. But has anyone ever seen any competition in which the rules are different from game to game? Either we should have VAR or not have VAR. To have it in some games only leads to real unfairness.

Standard of refereeing this weekend has been awful.

Does that justify VAR? I'm still not 100% convinced by VAR as currently applied. But has anyone ever seen any competition in which the rules are different from game to game? Either we should have VAR or not have VAR. To have it in some games only leads to real unfairness.

I think VAR is obviously too expensive to apply across the football pyramid, but do agree that it ought to be applied fairly.

Perhaps all Premiership games, and all FA Cup games from the 3rd round onwards, for example,

cheers 

It's ridiculous that if Everton had been at home Millwall's equaliser would have been ruled out for handball and today Sheffield Wednesday would have had a penalty to potentially take the lead if they'd been at home but in both cases the venue dictated how the rules were to be applied. As has been said, the merits of VAR are immaterial if they are not implemented equally.

• 2 weeks later...