The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

You can dream... or your manager can... There's always the next round... ☺

Considering we have won away at Man United and Southampton this season, and run Chelsea close it is no dream. In three visits to Premier League grounds we have scored as many goals as Cardiff have mustered in eleven away league games. 

Normally I would make more of that, but recent events mean that there is a need to be more sympathetic to their plight. Perhaps Nantes could do the same.

On 06/02/2019 at 20:29, Claude_Dreyfus said:

One hopes there has been a misunderstanding going on here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

If not, it strikes me as rather insensitive (to say the least) to demand this before they have even recovered any bodies...

The timing of it is shocking...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Breaking news is that the body found with the aircraft is that of Sala.

This is where the money side of the professional game comes into play. Nantes have in effect lost an asset, in which they had a commercial agreement/sale interest. So they are ‘out of pocket’. As Sala was due in training I imagine there was a guarantee of part payment on arrival with Cardiff. Where this will get really problematic is the insurance and how Sala’s transport arrangements were managed. It’s possible that Sala was on an illegal flight, not that Sala would have known that.

Edited by PMP

He was a Cardiff player I believe (albeit only for 2 days) so Nantes are right to request the money, unfortunate timing but that's all), so he was a Cardiff asset if that's true, not a Nantes one. I'm sure I've seen somewhere that he's insured for £16m so it would seem Cardiff or Nantes won't be out of pocket... There's also a third team involved who are due payment as well isn't there (his previous team to Nantes)?

• RMweb Premium

It is all about the timing. Whilst there doesn't appear to be any issue with player ownership, Nantes have needlessly made themselves out to be the 'bad guys' here. Even if he was still their player, there would need to be due process (identification, insurance etc.) before they saw any money. It is moments like this that it is clear that players are nothing more than assets.

I believe they need to hand over 50% of the fee to Bordeaux.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Insurance is going to be the problem here. Everything is pointing towards this trip being the aviation equivalent of  ‘a man with a van’, and even a bit less than that!  The only good thing to come from this is that Sala’s death may save other lives in future, in that people hiring and travelling using small aircraft will take a more diligent approach over what service they’re actually buying, and ensuring the flight is legal.

We we all know huge sums of money are involved in the sport at the top levels, I think this accident will demonstrate just how much players are viewed as commercial commodities, as opposed to expensive professional athletes.

At the end of the day that's what they are. if the contract says pay on a certain day thats what Cardiff should do regardless. Even at low interest rates 16m quid will have a fair amount of interest and we dont know what the transfer contract said. It could be argued that Nantes shouldn't have had to ask if the contract said to pay on the transfer day. So it could be Cardiff's fault.

Fact is we dont know anything really as we don't know the full background. Good old newspaper speculation eh@

On 08/02/2019 at 18:48, peanuts said:

so the FL commitee have allowed paul scholes to become manager of Oldham and retain his 10% stake in Salford even tho the two clubs could meet next season interesting 

Well, the argument seems to be that a stake in another club of up to 10% is OK, as long as it's just regarded as an investment. A fairly specific point of law, that, and one which is bound to arouse the cynic in many of us, I'm sure! However, if Oldham do play Salford next year, and Scholes happens to still be the manager, I bet he'd want to beat Salford, just to have the bragging rights over Giggs and the Nevilles.

• Agree 1

On 08/02/2019 at 18:48, peanuts said:

so the FL commitee have allowed paul scholes to become manager of Oldham and retain his 10% stake in Salford even tho the two clubs could meet next season interesting 

I find it a bizarre decision. Surely it is just a messy situation if and when the two clubs do end up in the same division.

There is a lot of resentment to Salford in the non-league games and whilst a lot of that is to do with jealousy, there is an element of truth in the fact that they have thrown in lots of money to gain success. Some of the wages they were paying even when in the Northern Premier League were totally out of tune with the rest of the league. As a supporter of a fellow National League club I don't mind their success and they are getting decent crowds and seem to be building a local fanbase. However I do get somewhat hacked off at the national coverage they have gained whilst much of the mainstream media ignores other clubs at our level. Climbing down from the soapbox now..... 

Saying that, it's time for Scholes to put his money where his mouth is - he's had plenty to say about other managers, particularly Mourinho, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

Fair play that he is starting in the lower reaches of the football league though, particularly with his boyhood club. He can't do any worse than his mates though.... the Nevilles have hardly pulled up many trees and Giggs had lots of unsucessful interviews before securing the Wales job. Concensus seems to be that Nicky Butt is actually the now promising coach of the lot and is being primed for the Man Utd job in the long term. 

Plenty of non league sides have big backers, though... Look at the history of Forest Green who are now in the league... My locla team are Kidderminster Harriers, now in the national league north and I was told by a friend of mine that that's the most difficult league to get promotion from as there are several clubs "with money" fighting over the top places...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cary hill said:

Gordon Banks RIP legend

The word 'legend' is perhaps one of the must overused in the English language... certainly the most misused.

It is certainly not in this case...one of the great names in World football, respected by colleagues and rivals in equal measure. A great man, and yes, truly a legend has passed today.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Hobby said:

Plenty of non league sides have big backers, though... Look at the history of Forest Green who are now in the league... My locla team are Kidderminster Harriers, now in the national league north and I was told by a friend of mine that that's the most difficult league to get promotion from as there are several clubs "with money" fighting over the top places...

Agreed and it is good to see clubs moving up and challenging the established clubs in the football league. 

Totally agree with the National League North - look at some of the teams there... York, Darlington, Stockport, Boston, Chester, Kidderminster, Bradford PA, Southport, Hereford. All ex-football league clubs that have fallen on hard times, the strength is amazing. 

In our part of the world we have South Shields (another ex-league club) that are storming up the pyramid. The are getting attendances of 1,500 in the Northern Premier League. I'm a Gateshead season ticket holder and we are only getting around 600 in the National League. I think they are much more likely to get back into the league before us. 

Forest Green are a great example of a sustainable club that has gone about things in the right manner and I was delighted when they got prompted out of our league. They're a great club and bunch of folk. Fleetwood is another good example of it being done well. But then for every one of those there is a Rushden & Diamonds or a Gretna....... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

..is in a bar in Norway  where the locals are already going nuts for Ole! 

Kev.

PS. Beer is an eye watering £8.50 for nearly a pint!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/02/2019 at 20:26, Steve K said:

Well, the argument seems to be that a stake in another club of up to 10% is OK, as long as it's just regarded as an investment. A fairly specific point of law, that, and one which is bound to arouse the cynic in many of us, I'm sure! However, if Oldham do play Salford next year, and Scholes happens to still be the manager, I bet he'd want to beat Salford, just to have the bragging rights over Giggs and the Nevilles.

Well Mr Scholes has made a good start tonight! 

• Agree 1

Guest Ohmisterporter2
19 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Agreed and it is good to see clubs moving up and challenging the established clubs in the football league. 

Totally agree with the National League North - look at some of the teams there... York, Darlington, Stockport, Boston, Chester, Kidderminster, Bradford PA, Southport, Hereford. All ex-football league clubs that have fallen on hard times, the strength is amazing. 

In our part of the world we have South Shields (another ex-league club) that are storming up the pyramid. The are getting attendances of 1,500 in the Northern Premier League. I'm a Gateshead season ticket holder and we are only getting around 600 in the National League. I think they are much more likely to get back into the league before us. 

Forest Green are a great example of a sustainable club that has gone about things in the right manner and I was delighted when they got prompted out of our league. They're a great club and bunch of folk. Fleetwood is another good example of it being done well. But then for every one of those there is a Rushden & Diamonds or a Gretna....... 

Much better to have an owner willing to put money into the club than one who drains money out of it. 

Bitter Blackpool supporter. Not that I am bitter or anything.

1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter2 said:

Much better to have an owner willing to put money into the club than one who drains money out of it. 

Bitter Blackpool supporter. Not that I am bitter or anything.

True. I feel so sorry for the Blackpool fans such as yoursel who have had the heart ripped out of their club. Such a sad state of affairs.

We all want a Dale Vince (Forest Green) but sadly, and understandably, those kind of patrons are few and far between.  

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I think that's just a symptom of  the top clubs hoovering up all the money, exactly as the 'premier' clubs wanted when they broke away to form the premier league.

Which has caused the levelling up of much of the rest, there is now very little difference between league one, league two or the national league.

The only way you can be sucessful is if you get a wealthy backer, who is prepared to pump in millions.

I think English football is heading towards being like Scottish football where only two teams actually win anything , there's only realistically a handful capable of winning now in England.