The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

11 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Bottom of the Premier League looks as though it is going to be sorted soon. I cannot see Cardiff picking up enough points to survive now. They probably need to win three games, highly unlikely I would imagine. 

I reckon they may be ok as my rabble have self destructed since Christmas and how did we let Bournemouth put 5 past us :(  Tuesday night will be the test when Cardiff visit, if we lose I can't see where any more points will come from so Cardiff will only need one more win...

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I reckon they may be ok as my rabble have self destructed since Christmas and how did we let Bournemouth put 5 past us :(  Tuesday night will be the test when Cardiff visit, if we lose I can't see where any more points will come from so Cardiff will only need one more win...

You have simply fallen apart since the turn of the year. I am not a Newcastle fan, but Chris Hughton was really liked up here and folk felt very sorry for him when he was sacked. However, I have read a few things saying his 'nice guy' persona can sometimes backfire in the dressing room and he is seen by some within the game as lacking that ruthless streak which is necessary at the very top. I don't know whether that is true, but things did somewhat stagnate at Newcastle and certainly did at Norwich, so there might be an element of truth in it. I haven't heard of many Brighton fans calling for his head, which is refreshing these days, but I haven't been paying that close attention to it. Purely as a neutral, fingers-crossed he will get the time to regroup and refresh things over the summer and can turn things around.

Tuesday night certainly is a massive game. Three points and you're safe, lose and it will be nerve-jangling climax to the season. 

Chris Hughton is hero worshipped down here and I can't say I've heard a single supporter wanting him gone. I think we've relied too heavily on Glenn Murray and his age has caught up with him, his energy levels have definitely dropped as the season has progressed and our 2 free scoring imports from the Dutch league aren't up to it. 

Meanwhile the "race" to claim 7th place in the Premiership and the possible poisoned chalice of a Europa League place appears to have slowed to a crawl.

I can't believe that Leicester are still 7th after witnessing their lame, clueless and failed attempts to break down a well marshalled Newcastle defence last Friday night, That is now 8 home defeats at the King Power so far this season, a record number of top flight defeats since moving to the ground and it's a good job our away record more or less matches our home record for points gained.

I was expecting Wolves, Everton  and Watford to all go above us in the table after this weekend's round of matches but nobody seems to want 7th place.

Still I expect all the above clubs to finish above Leicester, as I can't see many points coming our way from our remaining games against Chelsea and Arsenal (both home) and West Ham and Man.City (both away)

Edited by cary hill

On 15/04/2019 at 10:04, Gareth Collier said:

Chris Hughton is hero worshipped down here and I can't say I've heard a single supporter wanting him gone.

I'm pleased he has still got the support of the fans. He's a thoroughly decent bloke (not that that should keep him his job mind) and a good manager. I hope he can work through this difficult spell. 

Massive game tonight, I hope you win as I want you to stay up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

With half an hour to go it looks like we're doomed. To be fair if we don't beat Cardiff at home we don't deserve to stay up:(

Really disappointing result. You're in a proper dogfight now :nea_mini:

Result of the night has to go to Ajax though! I am absolutely over the moon for them and think it is a fantastic thing for football that they have slayed Goliath and got through to the semi-finals of the CL. A real modern fairytale given the disparity in income and finances between clubs in the Eredivisie and those in Serie A, La Liga and especially the Premier League. Whilst we know the majority of the standout players will be off to bigger clubs at the end of the season, hopefully the Ajax fans can enjoy and savour this special moment!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Really looking forward to the second leg of the Spurs v Man City game tonight. First goal if absolutely critical. If Man City score early on then I fear for Tottenham. You imagine Spurs will have to score but playing on the counter-attack with the page of Son and Lucas Moura may really suit them in the absence of Kane.  

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I don't know, we've made a habit of coming back from behind this season, though I'd rather we didn't!

True but somehow I cannot see you been as poor (noting that everything is relative) as in the first leg. 

Just listening to the build-up on 5 Live and I'm getting annoyed at the digs and criticism about Man City not selling out or taking all the allocation for recent matches. It is so expensive for fans!! The match tickets, the travel, the added expense of attending a match....  It's simply not sustainable for 'normal' people. I think this is the 53rd game of their season...... give folk a break. Grrr! 

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Yep a good match, wrong result, but a good match! Though tbh I'm glad we've dropped out of the CL, three less games in an already busy fixture list... Good luck to Spurs! :)

It was just a wonderful game of football, particularly for the neutral. 

I think you will win the league now and sew up the treble in due course. I cannot see you dropping any more points in the run in and last night will probably work as an incentive to deliver the rest. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I think you will win the league now and sew up the treble in due course. I cannot see you dropping any more points in the run in and last night will probably work as an incentive to deliver the rest. 

I hope not as I want Liverpool to win the double, again.;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Will the Sheik now demand a completely new defence is bought?

They will need investment over the summer and imagine they will spend big. I would say the priorities would be couple of top level centre-backs, certainly a left-back and maybe even a right-back too. Also a back up to Fernandinho is vital, as they have been somewhat exposed when he has been out through injury. 

Having said that, those weakenesses are all relative, particularly when you support a club with only 16 senior players......

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Alex McLeish has stepped down as Scotland Manager "by mutual consent".  Lets see who is the next to receive the ultimate poison chalice!

Sad, as he seems like a decent bloke, but he clearly wasn't the right fit for the job. Steve Clarke has been mentioned - personally I would give up the Kilmarnock job for this, as he is doing a fantastic job, but the pull may be too great for a Scotsman. 

You've got the basis of a decent team with 4 or 5 quality players - Robertson, Tierney, Fraser etc - not to mention some who aren't playing at the moment - Richie, Snodgrass at al - so it just needs someone to bring everyone together and make for a happy camp (similarly to what Southgate has achieved with England). 

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

And I don't want you to win the return fixture against Spurs either.

steve