The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Comes of many years of experience!

I hope you are right, I'd like to see him stay as well.

I understand and you've well and truly been through the mill over the years. It's why I don't begrudge your fans the current success, as you had stuck by the club in thick and thin. Shows there's always hope (at least with a bit of money), so don't despair Sunderland!! 

Brilliant performance from Liverpool last night. If only I'd staked some money (or maybe my house) on them winning 4-0 !

(It's been said elsewhere) Luis Suarez promised he would not celebrate at Anfield; He proved he's a man of his word ! And where was Lionel Messi; Barcelona might have done better if they'd played Mr Messy.

Sounds like Bolton are going to be out into administration. Sad and worrying times for fans after weeks of carry on between Ken Anderson and this Bassini fella. 

Also heard that the sale of Yeovil has fallen through too. After being relegated I imagine that is another blow. I've always had a soft spot for The Glovers. 

38 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Montrose 2 Queen of the South 1

Who would have believed it!!!!!

I was keeping an eye on that result last night! There have always been strong links between Queen of the South and the North East and quite  a few players have made the journey over to play in Dumfries over the years. 

Forget all the Premier League histrionics, the big games his weekend are the play-off ties involving Spennymoor and Berwick Rangers! That's where my focus will be!

• Agree 1

On 04/05/2019 at 16:39, brenn said:

i was sitting with 3 Spurs fans for most of the game.....well that went well...until the Man Utd mad landlord came out and said " i hope Spurs draw this"...BOOM GOAL......near death experience followed as i jumped up and shouted 

Funny Spurs always do this they go mad and want to fighr....Dier was so lucky not to get a red card....you can't really argue with both sending offs........both straight reds. Having said that 9 man Spurs played well and were unlucky not to draw.......Makes for a great final day...Come on the Toffees.....

Dier was indeed lucky not to be red carded in addition to giving away a penalty - which was not given. Although Son should not have reacted like he did- and it is unusual for him- Bournemouth had been niggling and digging the whole time. Lomas instigated Son's response by spontaneously and needlessly stamping on Son's foot then dropping to the floor and doing a few forward tumbles for good measure- yet he was not even booked nor had retrospective action taken against him by the FA.

Spurs really need to keep their cool in these circumstances as it makes them easy prey.

In the circumstances Spurs were unlucky not to get a draw but credit must go to Bournemouth's young Irish goalkeeper making his debut as he kept his team in with a shout. Always seems to happen against Spurs!

Well done to Liverpool for last night's win though with the reaction coming from the sport media I thought that they had solved world peace, poverty, hunger, delivered br@#it and beaten Accurascale by getting a market-leading worldclass state of the art class 92 to market first. 

As for the semi (final- not an LMS Pacific) I shall be partaking the traditional way via radio. Maybe if I fear the worst then it won't be as bad should they lose. What I would like is them to put up a good show of themselves and to shut the continual doubting media- the likes of Anal Durham on TS- up. No doubt if they do manage to win it won't be classified as difficult and brilliant as Liverpool's comeback has been. A little bit of credit at how they have progressed without a super rich benefactor wouldn't go amiss from the media. Above I want them to go through fairly by scoring more goals than Ajax- not away goals or pens and the same if they are eliminated- to be because  have Ajax scored more goals on aggregate. AD has just said "imagine it. Liverpool could lose the final to Spurs- how unfair would that be.."

Regarding the difficulties that local clubs can find themselves in this has been such a season for my local team Nuneaton Town/Borough who have this season been taken to the brink of folding and come back but have suffered as a result of this on field finishing bottom of the NLN. Hopefully they can recover but I think it highlights the message that if the lower league/ local teams are to survive and thrive then the local fans and population need to pass through their turnstiles and support them as it appears that the FA couldn't care less if they exist or not- as long as the Premier League thrives then they are happy. 

COYS

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Also heard that the sale of Yeovil has fallen through too. After being relegated I imagine that is another blow. I've always had a soft spot for The Glovers. 

Local intel is that The Glovers' sale has been looking unlikely for weeks. Not so much the relegation as other unresolved issues.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, caradoc said:

Brilliant performance from Liverpool last night. If only I'd staked some money (or maybe my house) on them winning 4-0 !

(It's been said elsewhere) Luis Suarez promised he would not celebrate at Anfield; He proved he's a man of his word ! And where was Lionel Messi; Barcelona might have done better if they'd played Mr Messy.

I wonder what odds one could have got for that scoreline.

Anyway, even as a Blue, it is hard not to be pleased for them. That was some game and fine reward for going about the match so positively. Even down to the detail of getting the ballboys to get the ball back in play quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

I think it highlights the message that if the lower league/ local teams are to survive and thrive then the local fans and population need to pass through their turnstiles and support them as it appears that the FA couldn't care less if they exist or not- as long as the Premier League thrives then they are happy. 

Ultimately, money talks and many football fans would rather sit at home and watch the Premier League on Sky than go and support their local team. There is nothing wrong with that but it's not where my football interest lies. However, I think if your average football fan did make the effort to go down to watch their local club, they would probably enjoy it and would go back. You get hooked, being involved in the local community, seeing the same friendly, familiar faces and getting the opportunity to get involved if you want to. I have been a Gateshead season ticket holder for years (sadly that is all over now) but I often go to see my local Northern League teams - Hebburn, Jarrow etc - and even Boldon in the Wearside League. I also go and see Bishop Auckland, my NL team, as often as I can. Then I like to get to see each of the local NPL and NLN clubs at least once a season. At all of these you get a wonderful welcoming atmosphere. I enjoy the football but it is about so much more than that. It's the social side which is just as important. I can go and have a pint in the clubhouse, have a pie, chat with like-minded folk, enter the meat draw (one for the teenagers!! :laugh_mini:) and tick the grounds off my bucket list!

If only I spent a similar am out of time concentrating on model railways then my layout might actually stand a chance of getting off the drawing board..... :blush:

However, I would agree that the FA only give a token regard to the non-league game. If only some more of the money from the top could be channelled down to non-league clubs. It is never going to happen though. So many clubs are swimming against the tide. However it is vital we protect and invest in the non-league game; our football pyramid is special and unique in the world game and the should be treated as such. 

The main point is, why would anyone be daft enough to own a football club? It's a money pit at all levels and really you're on a hiding to nothing :unknw_mini:

59 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Local intel is that The Glovers' sale has been looking unlikely for weeks. Not so much the relegation as other unresolved issues.

That's a shame. I hope someone else steps forward to buy the club. One of the original FA Cup giant killers, famously defeating the mighty Sunderland in 1949. 

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I wonder what odds one could have got for that scoreline

50/1 evidently. I heard a bookmaker from one of the big national firms on the radio this morning saying they had had over 300 punters place bets on 4-0. Their faith has been rewarded! 

• Like 1

Reading South Tyne's accounts and enthusiasm for South Shields and Gateshead is infectious and really appealing.  I am seriously thinking that it would be a great idea to go and follow the Borough next season at home at least (assuming that they haven't fallen out again with the resident rugby club.) I may not have physically been to a game since seeing Spurs play Coventry at Highfield Road just before they moved to the Ricoh. Im not sure which league Nuneaton will find themselves in after relegation from the National League North but at least I should be guaranteed some honest and genuine football.  The current management team are well known and experienced in the local area and are saying all the right things. Importantly they appear to be genuine football people. 

The hour is fast approaching in Amsterdam and I am getting a little edgy. Which Spurs is going to turn up? Will Dele and Erikson play to their full ability?  I think we are due for this- they both have been lacking somewhat in their recent performances. 

Anyways no point getting too anxious about it- it is only a football match. ..............

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

With that I think it is goodnight from me. As they say there is always next year-hopefully.  Some investment desperately needed over the Summer to strengthen the squad- maybe a clearout of some required or just a good rest and recuperation?  Its a funny old game-apparently. 

:(

Edited by Natalie
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very much a case of "After the Lord Mayor's show comes the ****-cart" so far. ..... Tottenham look so tired, lacking in fight and bereft of ideas and invention......Ajax look streets ahead of them.

I can't believe that Tadic is the same player that used to drift through the vast majority of his Southampton appearances with relatively little effect.