The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

45 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Blimey, I didn't see Chris Hughton's sacking coming. He still had the full support of the fans :(

I feel really sorry for him. I know the last 4 or 5 months have been pretty terrible but an FA Cup semi-final and too flight survival shouldn't be sniffed at. It is especially disappointing if the fans were still behind him. 

Talk is Brighton have lots of ambition, driven by Dan Ashworth, and they want to push in. It's all very well and good but you you've still got to be careful what you wish for. I know he plays fairly pragmatic and defensive football but he has done a great job over the last few years.

As an example all will say is, look what happened at Ipswich.... Mick McCarthy sacked for boring football and mid-table finishes; look what happened next...... I suppose the difference is Mick didn't have the fans on his side anymore but it's still a warning. You cannot change a club overnight. I'll be interested in who you turn to next - any chat of names on the south coast yet? 

12 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Rafa's next project?

John

Well as bizarre as it sounds I have heard him mentioned this morning. Rumour has it The Toon have offered him a one-year £15m deal to stay on. I think his decision will be based on whether he gets the investment in players. 

Will Brighton have more money available than Newcastle? It's certainly a more stable club than the circus up the road at St James. Better climate on the south coast too! :laugh_mini:

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Not heard anything, supporters are still in shock. All I would say about his sacking is you hear stories of him being 'too nice' which is something I can believe.

It's what they said at Newcastle and Norwich too. Hopefully he will find another job in due course. 

Graeme Potter seems to be the favourite. He has done a tidy job at Swansea, and obviously did an amazing job before that at Östersund, but it is a little left-field still. The suggestions are that Brighton will have a lot of money to spend in the summer. 

8 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Blimey, I didn't see Chris Hughton's sacking coming. He still had the full support of the fans :(

You probably have to live further than 20 miles away from Brighton and personally witness their consistently dire away performances, which are almost totally devoid of ambition or entertainment, to realize a change was necessary.

Dismal player recruitment hasn't helped Brighton's cause either 27 signings since promotion and barely any of them feature in the First XI regularly and quite a few of them aren't even capable of warming the bench.

Having said that I like Brighton's centre backs who seem very solid, but then again they need(ed) to be with Hughton's very limited game plan.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

I was thinking of asking Chris Hughton to apply for the job at Fort William, but reading the replies here, I do not think I shall bother.

Rafa might like the challenge at Brighton.  With the backing of the club (which is non-existant at NUFC.)   it could be 'look out Southampton & Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, NorthBrit said:

I was thinking of asking Chris Hughton to apply for the job at Fort William, but reading the replies here, I do not think I shall bother

Not a bad shout.... the football might be boring but he would certainly organise the defence and address that -224 goal difference! :haha:

Current rumours (ie non stories made up by football writers to fill their back pages in the absence of actual news) are saying that 60% of fans think OGS should be replaced.  Was he not the new messiah earlier- despite being completely inept whilst Cardiff manager? Why do fans seem to have this idea that their onion is considered and taken into account by the club purely because they (the fans) have an emotional attachment to the club? I think the fan- club board/ management relationship is no different from any other customer/ business relationship ie the customer exists to buy the product on sale for as much as they can get away with. In addition to the high cost of match tickets in at least  the Premier League and Championship look at the cost of merchandise-such as shirts,  cost of food and drink within the ground.  The fan is seen as a cash cow that can be fleeced (should it be cash sheep then?) multiple times by a club because they are 'your club' and you have an emotional relationship and could never  ever entertain switching allegiances like you would with any other product/ service  that you were unhappy with. I suppose with OGS not now apparently being the blue-eyed boy that the media had decided he was  will resume normal service in providing us with another Summer of Poch being 'linked' with a move to a 'bigger club than Spurs' ie Man Utd?  Why would he want to go there.  Why do the likes of Klopp or Guardiola never get this constant speculation about them? Im probably biased but it always seems to be Spurs' manager and playerd who are targeted by the media.

But it is no different to every other close season when Spurs' best players are sold off by the press to supposedly 'bigger clubs.' Previous years it was Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Kane, Walker, Rose, Eriksen, Alderweirald and no doubt it will be Son's time this Summer. 

Just had a chuckle to myself with TALKPremierLeague Top SixFootball being on in the background.  There is Davey (!) Moyes and 'Big Sam' (why is he never 'Sammy') Alladyce giving advice on how Man Utd should sort out their current 'crisis'. Never hire either of those pair or sack half of the team for deception, laziness, incompetence or gross misconduct wasnt a suggestion either.

With the nonsense in the Premier League and constant hyping up the non leagues look increasingly attractive so I really am seriously considering going to watch Nuneaton Borough at some point. As an aside I found out that a nurse I worked with and we would give each lifts to/from work turned out that her husband was a Borough legend from the 1960s- Malcolm Allen. I never knew that. One of our  Med students then later HO was also a 'star player' for the Borough during the 1990s- scoring lots of goals- sometimes when he was supposed to be on duty- which was why he never answered his bleep. It came to a head one day after a magnificent hat trick for the Borough was headlines on the local paper's back page and he was supposed to be on for medical admissions but had 'disappeared' and could not be contacted. He was given a choice- doctor or part time footballer or at least swap your on-call with a colleague.  His name was Rob Straw. Also in the team at the same time was Malcolm Christie who was sold to Middlesbrough and latet Derby. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Natalie said:

One of our Med students then later HO was also a 'star player' for the Borough during the 1990s- scoring lots of goals- sometimes when he was supposed to be on duty- which was why he never answered his bleep. It came to a head one day after a magnificent hat trick for the Borough was headlines on the local paper's back page and he was supposed to be on for medical admissions but had 'disappeared' and could not be contacted. He was given a choice- doctor or part time footballer or at least swap your on-call with a colleague. His name was Rob Straw. 

England’s very own Socrates?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, cary hill said:

Come on Derby - I'll support any team trying to keep Leeds out of the Premiership.........

For the neutral, a very entertaining game indeed.

AndyRam:  I hope that lifts the spirits a wee bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Been ill for two days with a stomach upset so it was glasses of water on the sofa in front of the tv tonight rather than watching the game in the pub or at the ground. Who cares. Revenge for the cheating, spying skullduggery has been well and truly taken. The Leeds fans and their horrible excuse for a manager can stick their notebooks, binoculars and their free scarves where the sun doesn’t shine. Credit to The Rams for a monumental performance. I would love to finish the job at Wembley and I would love the much criticised Richard Keogh to score the winner. But it doesn’t matter right now. Footballing Justice has  been dealt out in the best possible way. We will be the underdogs at Wembley but win or lose i actually don’t mind too much right now. 

• Like 8

What a tremendous second half performance, as a QPR man I am delighted for the Rams and really hope they beat Villa @ Wembley after 2013.  The Dog thought I had gone mad four times in less than an hour.

I see Bamford's picked up LUFC bad habits; although he looks a cert for the next Olympics in the Swimming Pool.

Hope your soon feeling better AndyRam.

I really am the kiss of death to the teams in the play-offs. I wanted it to be...... Spennymoor, Fylde, Forest Green, Sunderland and Leeds. Em four out of five have fallen :blush: Good luck to SAFC, you're going to need it with me behind you...... 

2 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I see Bamford's picked up LUFC bad habits; although he looks a cert for the next Olympics in the Swimming Pool.

Indeed, and Leeds Utd had the gall to complain that his punishment after the Villa game was not reduced due to their sportsmanship in allowing Villa to score (only required because of their lack of sportsmanship in the first place). Glad Leeds Utd will not be 'gracing' the Premier League, next season at least.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Torper said:

Presumably you can add Berwick to your kiss of death teams?  Or are you waiting hopefully for the second leg!

DT

Ha ha yes,  I didn't want to mention them yet but I am a jinx! A miracle is what we need but, given the last few weeks and being wildly optimistic, there is maybe something to cling to! A 5-goal comeback would surely trump Liverpool, Spurs and Derby mind! Particularly given I think Berwick have scored 6 goals in the whole of 2019...... Saturday is judgement day. 

More positively, well done to Sunderland for winning through tonight. Looking forward to seeing a Mackem invasion of Wembley in a few weeks time!

• Like 1