The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

That was from January 2017! Seems they are still going, finished 18th. According to this they are now owned by Bond Group though have had other owners as well since 2017.

https://www.morecambefc.com/club/whos-who/

Perhaps the Brazilian guy just wanted "Owned an English Football League club" on his CV. After a sticky start to the last season Morecambe finished comfortably above the relegation places. As an important piece of information, Morecambe have been chosen as having the best pies in professional football on three separate occasions, each time made by a different bakery. So if you fancy a tasty half-time pie get along to the Globe Arena next season. 

• Like 1

Well Frank Lampard made a complete tactical mess of that Play-off Final by selecting the wrong players to play in a diamond formation with a blunt spearhead. I've no idea why Mason Bennett or Tom Huddlestone started the game, unless Lampard wanted minimal goal threat and lots of over-hit passes from the start.

Derby looked much better with Marriott and Waghorn on the pitch, but unfortunately a case too little too late has left the Premiership to "welcome" another club whose fans have a whining sense of "entitlement" because of their "history".

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cary hill said:

Well Frank Lampard made a complete tactical mess of that Play-off Final by selecting the wrong players to play in a diamond formation with a blunt spearhead. I've no idea why Mason Bennett or Tom Huddlestone started the game, unless Lampard wanted minimal goal threat and lots of over-hit passes from the start.

Derby looked much better with Marriott and Waghorn on the pitch, but unfortunately a case too little too late has left the Premiership to "welcome" another club whose fans have a whining sense of "entitlement" because of their "history".

Not the first time that Lampard has got it wrong, I seem to recall some matches where they hardly had a shot although were quite good in defence and midfield.

Regarding entitlement, you're only as good as your history if you laern the lessons of when it goes wrong. I hope Villa don't let themselves get into the rut of a few seasons ago. In a way I will quite miss the interlude in the Championship, less of the boring games with teams playing 8-1-1 because they are more frightened to lose than ambitious to win.

37 minutes ago, lightengine said:

I hope the NUFC numpty sells them and they can improve, they deserve more than him.

I'll believe it when the deal is verified as done. . . . . . 

Most of the supporters feel the same.

John

• Agree 1

but unfortunately a case too little too late has left the Premiership to "welcome" another club whose fans have a whining sense of "entitlement" because of their "history".

Absolutely correct! Whilst the other three West Midlands 'biggies', WBA, Wolves and Blues are pleasant places to be, Villa and its supporters are some the most obnoxious and self-inflated 'fans' there are. hopefully they will crash back straight out of the Premier League next season, and with a bit of luck,'do a Sunderland!!'.

Forest fan in Oz,

Peter C.

After a long and miserable journey back up from London last night I can finally reflect on yesterday. A disappointing result, but I felt the game was even. There was nothing in the first half until we conceded a bad goal. The second goal was worse and will do nothing for the goalkeeper's chances of a new contract. 

Yes Lampard picked the wrong team and we only really threatened for the last 15 minutes, but I am not too disheartened. The season was one of transition so reaching the play offs and the final was a bonus. We knocked out dirty Leeds and finished above Forest so there are positives to take .

As a rookie manager he is bound to make some mistakes, but the quality of football is improving. There will be further changes next season with a lot of the players out of contract so it remains to be seen whether we can be there and there about next season.

Ultimately the better team won. Credit to Villa and hope they do ok next season.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not the first time that Lampard has got it wrong, I seem to recall some matches where they hardly had a shot although were quite good in defence and midfield.

Give him chance, it's his first season at management level! You are all beginning to sound like Man U fans when Moyes was in charge. I know before the match a friend of mine who supports Derby was saying that if they did win it they'd be straight back down. He feels they need another season to consolidate and for Frank to get his act together. Playoffs in his first season isn't bad at all, though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I can't help thinking that Jack Grealish wants to man up/grow up/lose his OCD. He won't wear man size shin pads because he "feels they restrict his movement".  Yesterday he wore some really crappy old boots with hardly any outer covering, because he felt them to be "lucky".

I know the old adage, it's not the boots, it's the person wearing them.  But in the PL he may find it is a whole tougher big boys game and one untimely thwack on the shin or one stamp on his foot may result in something that his OCD or his superstitions won't help with.

In youth football we had a ref that wouldn't the let kids play without shinpads.

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

He feels they need another season to consolidate and for Frank to get his act together.

.. maybe going to Chelsea will help him get it together in his 2nd season. Woteva!

I can't imagine it would be anywhere near a good move if he got offered the job.  Look at all the other much better qualified "failures" that have gone before him.

But like you said Hobby, not bad for a 1st season.

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Give him chance, it's his first season at management level! You are all beginning to sound like Man U fans when Moyes was in charge. I know before the match a friend of mine who supports Derby was saying that if they did win it they'd be straight back down. He feels they need another season to consolidate and for Frank to get his act together. Playoffs in his first season isn't bad at all, though!

I think Lampard has done well but talk of the Chelsea job is ridiculously early. Why not let him get a few seasons at Derby under his belt before going any further. Need to look no further than his conqueror for someone who has built his mangerial career through the divisions. Simlarly Chris Wilder at Sheffield United. The media obsession with Lampard (and Terry) is pretty annoying in my humble opinion... Then again I admit that I don't like Chelsea......

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

I'll believe it when the deal is verified as done. . . . . . 

Most of the supporters feel the same.

John

The world might be about to change for the Mags if the rumours come to fruition.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

In youth football we had a ref that wouldn't the let kids play without shinpads.

They're mandatory - specified in Law 4 of "Laws of the Game".

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'm not a Derby supporter but I think Lampard has done well in his first season given that it is quite a thinly spread squad. Like some other comments I feel he needs to prove himself outside the Premier League where life is continual ducking and diving to survive without the massive money available there. The same applies to John Terry, who himself said he was probably five years away from being a PL manager. 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 45568 said:

but unfortunately a case too little too late has left the Premiership to "welcome" another club whose fans have a whining sense of "entitlement" because of their "history".

Absolutely correct! Whilst the other three West Midlands 'biggies', WBA, Wolves and Blues are pleasant places to be, Villa and its supporters are some the most obnoxious and self-inflated 'fans' there are. hopefully they will crash back straight out of the Premier League next season, and with a bit of luck,'do a Sunderland!!'.

Forest fan in Oz,

Peter C.

When was the last time any of those West Midlands ' biggies' won a major trophy.:read:

4 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

But. . . The doubts are creeping in already.

John

I'm not an NUFC fan but I really hope it comes off. Firstly to get rid of the fat man and secondly to see the kind of investment that the ckub deserve. All the building blocks are there - ground, fan base, manager, history - just need the money to deliver on the pitch. It would be great for North East football if we do see improved. So fingers crossed the deal is signed sealed and delivered, it's looking optimistic. Saying that, this is Newcastle we're talking about so absolutely anything could happen in the coming days and there will undoubtedly be twists and turns and drama on the way.....!!!

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Then why is Grealish permitted to extract the urine by wearing ankle protectors? It's a mockery

I guess because the rule does not contains specifications for the pads that are to be worn, and people will always find loopholes.

• Agree 1

In response to comments about Villa fans. I wonder if they felt their divine  right to be in the Premier League gave them the licence to launch an unprovoked attack on a Derby supporters team coach, breaking the windows and scaring young children after the game. Unacceptable! Football is about rivalry and banter is accepted. The decision by some Leicester fans to daub bridges on the M1 with p*** taking banners was petty, proof of their sad lives but mildly amusing and was taken in the spirit it was intended, as was the Florest fans love for Bobby Zamora five years ago. The reds may as well enjoy the failure of others when they have had nothing near success for a generation. But attacking a supporters coach makes these Villa fans s*** of the Earth.

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, andyram said:

In response to comments about Villa fans. I wonder if they felt their divine  right to be in the Premier League gave them the licence to launch an unprovoked attack on a Derby supporters team coach, breaking the windows and scaring young children after the game

You mean like last season in the CL where City's Team Coach was attacked before the game at Liverpool and windows broken... And nothing was done... It's just high spirits old boy!! 

Edited by Hobby