The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Until middle aged white men, who are currently under represented, are given more commentary, presenting and punditry chances I am not watching any more sport.

Last week a Rugby League programme was presented by a female!  Rugby League! That bastion of female sport!  Where men are men and women are scarce!

I am off to watch naked Turkish wrestling.

I M Angry of Devon.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, lightengine said:

Until middle aged white men, who are currently under represented, are given more commentary, presenting and punditry chances I am not watching any more sport.

Last week a Rugby League programme was presented by a female!  Rugby League! That bastion of female sport!  Where men are men and women are scarce!

I am off to watch naked Turkish wrestling.

I M Angry of Devon.

Is this a wind up!? 

If not..... 

Come on man, middle-aged white men run and rule the world!!! They always have done, every aspect of life. I welcome diversity in the media - based on gender, race, age, nationality, socio-economic background etc - that is across the board, including with sport, and I think it is only good for football to have such a mix. Just as one example, Alex Scott is a fantastic pundit and talks so eloquently about the game. My favourite duo on MOTD is when her and Jermaine Jenas are analysing. Both at fantastic and insightful. Caroline Barker would wipe the floor with anyone with her football knowledge. Gabby Logan is excellent on MOTD. The list goes on.... 

Em, and on the rugby league point, I am a massive fan on the sport. The BBC coverage is BRILLIANTLY hosted by Tanya Arnold. She does the Super League Show on a Monday night, the weekly highlights programme, and also fronts the live Challenge Cup games. She has forgotten more about rubgy league than the vast majority of men (or women) will ever know. She is hugely knowledgable on the game and is great with the pundits and ex-players. I wouldn't want anyone else to do the show. 

Anyway, I hope you're joking... 

5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Errr, I think the "I M Angry of Devon" is a bit of a dead give away of the type of post it was... ;) :) 

Yes I hope so but you never know in this increasingly angry world and divided country.... :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Interesting on 5 Live last night hearing John Barnes saying that he doesn't want to keep hearing multi-millionaire footballers banging on about how they suffer racist abuse in foreign stadiums.  He said he would rather hear them talking about black kids & knife crime.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much this will effect Ashley's attempt to sell the club? The amount of damage he has inflicted to the club, yet he still expects to make a profit selling it on...

Interesting to see who comes in to replace Benitez, but whoever it is, they have a tough season ahead.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I wonder how much this will effect Ashley's attempt to sell the club? The amount of damage he has inflicted to the club, yet he still expects to make a profit selling it on...

Interesting to see who comes in to replace Benitez, but whoever it is, they have a tough season ahead.

NOPE!!!!   He'll take it off the market, and blame the prospective buyers for wasting his time, , , And the lack of preparation/planning for next season will be Rafa's fault for procrastinating.

HE'S LIKE A  HA'PNY BYUK.

ammended for a missing "F"

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

NOPE!!!!   He'll take it off the market, and blame the prospective buyers for wasting his time, , , And the lack of preparation/planning for next season will be Rafa's fault for procrastinating.

HE'S LIKE A  HA'PNY BYUK.

ammended for a missing "F"

John

He is just playing games and peddling spin, I don't think he has any intention of selling the club. 

Who do you fancy? Gary Monk is evidently an early favourite. Mourinho being touted on Look North, seems very unlikely though. Avram Grant also mentioned - unfortunately I think he would simply be a 'yes man'. Or...... how about Roy Keane given the news of his departure from Forest....... (I'll get my coat!! :laugh_mini:)

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter as long as he owns it.. . . . .it's just a cheap form of advertising for his tacky sports clothing business...

The sort of publicity he gets would cost a small fortune otherwise.    

AND. . . .the black and white sheep will still buy their season ticket at the new inflated prices, and moan about the lack of investment.

At least RAFA tried to show there was a better way. . . . . . . . . But everyone knew that already .

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

AND. . . .the black and white sheep will still buy their season ticket at the new inflated prices, and moan about the lack of investment.

That's the huge problem in my humble opinion. I am.not criticising Toon fans in any way but the only way to show effective protest is ultimately to vote with your feet and not attend games and spend money to boost Ashley's empire. Nobody likes to boycott their club but sometimes it is the only option left; Blackpool fans did it and eventually got rid of the Oyston's after a tortuous journey. It must have been heartbreaking for them during that period but it eventually did get the outcome they wanted. Now I know that Premier League clubs are not as dependent on matchday income and revenue,  because of the obscene TV deal, but it would still hit the fat man in the pocket if there was a boycott. However, as long as 52,000 fans turn up each week then he is sitting pretty.

At least RAFA tried to show there was a better way. . . . . . . . . But everyone knew that already .

Yep. Rafa had the status, standing and backbone to stand up to the hierachy. My worry is a lesser manager - and let's face it, anyone is going to be a step down on Rafa - will just be a 'yes man' for the regime. 

Exactly what he does achieve. . .the club runs at a profit because he won't spend any money,  and they, therefore him, therefore his company are always in the headlines.

Nail, head........ 

It's a circus. I suppose disgruntled fans could always make the short trip over the water and watch the Super Heed Army. At least we now have our new owners to give a sense of optimism. 

As ever, it's the hope that kills you.......

• Like 1

If Garry Monk is the man Ashley is looking too, it is like trading in a Ferrari for a Fiesta. No offence to Mr Monk, but Rafa is a world class managed. A Champions League winner who has managed some of the biggest clubs in the world. Monk has recently been at Middlesbrough and Birmingham and not pulled many trees up. I know he was operating under some restricting circumstances at the latter, with poor owners and leadership, but Newcastle fans will want more. 

It's ten years ago since Kevin Keegan said that the club will never achieve anything or move forward with Ashley in charge...... a decade on NOTHING has changed.......

• Agree 2

Most capped England male Peter Shilton 125, 2nd Wayne Rooney 120.

Most capped women

Fara Williams 170

Karen Carney 143

Alex Scott 140

Jill Scott 140

Casey Stoney 130

How on earth do they do that? Ok, Shilts would have had more if Clemence hadn't been used alternatively, or less. 

20 hours ago, caradoc said:

Perhaps, as a form of protest, Toon fans could attend games wearing tops not made by the owner's business (I wonder who makes Sunderland tops) ?

That's a possibility. These things rarely have much of a lasting impact though - think the Man Utd fans and their green and gold scarf protest against the Glazers. It only has an effect if it is the majority who partake, rather than a hardcore few.

Unfortunately St James Park is just a monument to the Sports Direct empire. But, as @Two_sugars says, I honestly don't think Ashley cares what people think of him or how the fans feel. 

After the last year, it makes a change that we are not the most mismanaged club on Tyneside. The Toon and The Heed are certainly pushing each other for the most shambolic club....... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, south_tyne said:

After the last year, it makes a change that we are not the most mismanaged club on Tyneside. The Toon and The Heed are certainly pushing each other for the most shambolic club....... 

Putting on a neutral's hat, having no interest in the NE clubs or their politics, I'd point out that is not a valid comparison. Last lime i looked NUFC were still in the Premiership, not gone bust and not relegated, and on a tight budget they aren't doing too bad... There are plenty of other big teams up there who would like to be in their position rather than where they are... I accept you don't like the bloke but he's kept the club solvent and in the Premiership so has done better than some other club owners, both up there and elsewhere in England! 

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Putting on a neutral's hat, having no interest in the NE clubs or their politics, I'd point out that is not a valid comparison. Last lime i looked NUFC were still in the Premiership, not gone bust and not relegated, and on a tight budget they aren't doing too bad... There are plenty of other big teams up there who would like to be in their position rather than where they are... I accept you don't like the bloke but he's kept the club solvent and in the Premiership so has done better than some other club owners, both up there and elsewhere in England! 

I suppose it may have been a little more melodramatic than necessary. Not on our front mind, we were 24 hours from going bust three weeks ago and we have been forecably relegated too. But things are looking up for the Super Heed Army for next year... it's onwards and upwards for my lads.

However, with regard to Newcastle, it is a shambles. The ownership has no relationship with the fanbase, seems to make decisions that purposely alienate the fans and also seem to have no long-term plan for the club. They have no divine right to be successful, no club does, but it's a football club.... it's more than just a business, the fans just want the club to have a little bit of ambition. I am not a Newcastle fan but I do feel sorry for them with this fractious relationship. I realise that folk in other parts of the country feel they get disproportionate coverage for a mid- lower-table Premier League club, but ultimately they do get 52,000 through the gate each week, rain, hail or stone. 

It's a cliche that the North East is a 'hotbed of football', we haven't won the league since Sunderland in 1936 or the FA Cup since 1973. Newcastle's cup triumphs of the '50s are a distant memory. Our recent collective history has been rubbish. So it's a complete fallacy. Every club across the country has passionate and dedicated supporters, from the top to the bottom of the game. However, one area we have done well is the FA Vase; we have just about owned that competition over the last 15 years (until this year ironically). Shows the strength of the Northern League. 

Anyway, we will wait and watch for the smoke signals out of St James Park......

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Like 1