The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The Northern Echo today is pitching Stephen Gerrard for the Newcastle job. I would say it is too early for him and he should pitch in at Rangers for a couple more seasons. However, people have been saying exactly the same about Frank Lampard........ 

Did the fat man not have an interest in Rangers at one time? I seem to remeber Ibrox being plastered with Sports Direct adverts too. I could be competely mistaken though. 

In other news, it looks like Spurs have finally spent some money!! :haha:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

The Northern Echo today is pitching Stephen Gerrard for the Newcastle job. I would say it is too early for him and he should pitch in at Rangers for a couple more seasons. However, people have been saying exactly the same about Frank Lampard........ 

Did the fat man not have an interest in Rangers at one time? I seem to remeber Ibrox being plastered with Sports Direct adverts too. I could be competely mistaken though. 

I could see Gerrard liking Newcastle and its fans - but being careful about going there while Ashley is in charge. He would want to win something at Rangers before moving.

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

Wasn't there some sort of legal stuff?

John

40 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I could see Gerrard liking Newcastle and its fans - but being careful about going there while Ashley is in charge. He would want to win something at Rangers before moving.

That's true. I think there are certain parallels with Liverpool and their fanbase, but obviously not in the success of the club. Personally, I wouldn't touch it whilst Ashley is still there. 

25 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Wasn't there some sort of legal stuff?

John

I think you're right - as it not to do with not being allowed to have a certain percentage of ownership in two clubs?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2019 at 14:47, south_tyne said:

It's a cliche that the North East is a 'hotbed of football',

I was idly musing over this very fact reading the foregoing posts, and wondered why there are as many of the  the "interesting" owners who manage to put the kybosh on so many of the local teams as there are in the area, think Gateshead, NUFC, Sunderland, Darlington etc, it must be a honeypot!

Mike.

5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I was idly musing over this very fact reading the foregoing posts, and wondered why there are as many of the  the "interesting" owners who manage to put the kybosh on so many of the local teams as there are in the area, think Gateshead, NUFC, Sunderland, Darlington etc, it must be a honeypot!

Mike.

I think that when a certain type of wannabe Chairman thinks the supporters genuinely are super passionate they see the potential to behave less than perfectly towards the club - Not at all dissimilar to happenings someway further south in the S6 area.

• Like 1

All this talk of Newcastle United reminded me I took a few pics at St. James' Park (prior to the recent redevelopments) at a reserve match against Preston North End Reserves on 4th November 1974.

How many players (on each side) can you recognise? (Were you at the match? - Well that's makes two of us, by the look of it!)

I have more from the same match if anyone is interested.

393476499_(2-861aS)NewcastlereservesVPrestonres09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.6b380b54ff1a0a8815c80f2b32e79dfd.jpg

1865347859_(7-046a)NewcastleUnitedreservesversusPrestonNorthEndreserves09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.b750352cd807a595f45a591160dadcec.jpg

147013215_(7-047a)NewcastleUnitedreservesversusPrestonNorthEndreserves09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.72a044f5164d54bb9439b00e62b103f2.jpg

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

All this talk of Newcastle United reminded me I took a few pics at St. James' Park (prior to the recent redevelopments) at a reserve match against Preston North End Reserves on 4th November 1974.

How many players (on each side) can you recognise? (Were you at the match? - Well that's makes two of us, by the look of it!)

393476499_(2-861aS)NewcastlereservesVPrestonres09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.6b380b54ff1a0a8815c80f2b32e79dfd.jpg

1865347859_(7-046a)NewcastleUnitedreservesversusPrestonNorthEndreserves09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.b750352cd807a595f45a591160dadcec.jpg

147013215_(7-047a)NewcastleUnitedreservesversusPrestonNorthEndreserves09-11-74(TErmel).jpg.72a044f5164d54bb9439b00e62b103f2.jpg

Cheers

Trevor

When someone scored did they go and shake hands with the crowd?, it was quicker than with their team mates.

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

Cheers

Trevor

I'm not sure about the last two photos but in the first is that graham souness at the far left with graham souness at the right of the picture with graham souness in the foreground?

(I'm not sure about the other three, and no I wasn't there - honest!)

Kev.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

I'm not sure about the last two photos but in the first is that graham souness at the far left with graham souness at the right of the picture with graham souness in the foreground?

(I'm not sure about the other three, and no I wasn't there - honest!)

Kev.

Hey der Lah, dats our Tel

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

We do seem to have a disproportionate share of rogue owners in the North East. It's happening lower down too.... just read a little of the carry on at Durham City and you will quickly realise why folk become disillusioned with football.

Having said that, the more interest you take, you soon realise that this kind of thing is going on all over the country at all levels of the game. There are George Reynolds and their like ruining football clubs throughout the land!! 

Thankfully we (Gateshead) seem to have settled down now and I am looking forward to next season. Will be acquiring my season ticket in the next few days. It's the hope that kills you...... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Having said that, the more interest you take, you soon realise that this kind of thing is going on all over the country at all levels of the game. There are George Reynolds and their like ruining football clubs throughout the land!!

I can't possibly mention Steven "cough" Vaughan!

There was something sad but ultimately inevitable about Martin O'Neill's exit from Forest on Friday. Unfortunately, I think his managerial style has been somewhat left behind. He was hugely effective, particularly in his Leicester days, but I wonder whether he has failed to adapt to the modern game. Although I hate to hear rumours that 'player power' has forced him out, football has maybe moved on. I hope that isn't it for his managerial career though, it would be a sad way to how out - you never know, there might be a coda to come as a final swansong.  

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if Martin O’Neill was one of those managers who worked best in partnership with one particular assistant.  Most of his succes seemed to come when John Robertson was his assistant.

In case anyone is still trying to put names to faces in my post from last Thursday (13 posts ago), the Newcastle Utd players in the pictures from November 1974 were as follows:

1st photo: Micky Burns on the ball, with Derek Craig, Dennis Laughton and Terry McDermott  in the background

2nd photo: Terry McDermott again, in what turned out to be his last game for the Magpies before his transfer to Liverpool later that month. (He did return to Newcastle in the 1980s, of course)

3rd photo: Alex Bruce on the ball, with Preston's Nobby Stiles on the left and, as been suggested by Gareth Collier, what appears to be Mark Lawrenson in close proximity

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I do wonder if Martin O’Neill was one of those managers who worked best in partnership with one particular assistant.  Most of his succes seemed to come when John Robertson was his assistant.

You could be right there. Like his mentor...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Trev52A said:

In case anyone is still trying to put names to faces in my post from last Thursday (13 posts ago), the Newcastle Utd players in the pictures from November 1974 were as follows:

1st photo: Micky Burns on the ball, with Derek Craig, Dennis Laughton and Terry McDermott  in the background

2nd photo: Terry McDermott again, in what turned out to be his last game for the Magpies before his transfer to Liverpool later that month. (He did return to Newcastle in the 1980s, of course)

3rd photo: Alex Bruce on the ball, with Preston's Nobby Stiles on the left and, as been suggested by Gareth Collier, what appears to be Mark Lawrenson in close proximity

Trevor

Entirely possible. Preston was his first club, and his hometown

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 62613 said:

Entirely possible. Preston was his first club, and his hometown

Just checked in my treasured and dog-eared Football Who's Who from the late '80s and Mr Lawrenson was with his hometown club from 1974 to '77. Given the year of the photo, playing in a reserve game at the start of his professional career would make perfect sense. 

13 hours ago, Trev52A said:

In case anyone is still trying to put names to faces in my post from last Thursday

It's a fascinating set of photos. What is just as interesting az the players are the glimpses of the ground at St James Park in the background. Very evocative. Mind what I love most is the hairstyles, facial hair and sideburns!! :laugh_mini: