The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

13 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Never really got into Subbuteo but we had another football game.  This had a hard plastic pitch about 20" x 12" on legs about 6" tall.  There were only 2 or 3 model players each side and they had magnets in their bases.  Each human player had a "stick" about 12" long with a magnet at the end, which was used to control the players on the pitch.  This was good fun but liable to disruption by cheating (particularly by my Dad), either by inverting one's stick (and hence the magnetic pole) to control the opponent's players, or by striking the underside of the pitch!

I can't remember the name of this game - does anyone else remember it?

I had this game also, you often ended up hit the underneath of the pitch making things jump.

Another game was "Floppy Soccer." It had a flat round disc ball like a draughts piece and both players had a similar disc that was on the end of a piece of thin flexible wire about a foot long, maybe 18". The pitch was about 2' long and had 1" high rivets sticking up to represent fixed players (fixed obstacle).  You had to kind of slide the floppy wired disc around to hit the disc goalward whilst your opponent did similar. 

Edited by lightengine

9 hours ago, lightengine said:

I had this game also, you often ended up hit the underneath of the pitch making things jump.

Another game was "Floppy Soccer." It had a flat round disc ball like a draughts piece and both players had a similar disc that was on the end of a piece of thin flexible wire about a foot long, maybe 18". The pitch was about 2' long and had 1" high rivets sticking up to represent fixed players (fixed obstacle).  You had to kind of slide the floppy wired disc around to hit the disc goalward whilst your opponent did similar. 

Simpler times. I wonder what kids of today with their Xbox and PlayStation would think of these type of games. I can't imagine Subbuteo holds much appeal for the girls and boys of 2019. 

• RMweb Gold

My childhood football game consisted of a plastic tray type pitch about 2' by1', the players mounted via their feet on springs into a circular dish, the modus operandi being to spring the players back and pass the ball from one dish/player to the other.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Super Soccer' was the game using magnets under the plastic pitch surface to control the player figures. I recall there was the option of a half round or smaller 'complete' ball to play with.

I think the brand logo was printed in white in one corner of the pitch or board surround ?

On 15/08/2019 at 08:57, south_tyne said:

That's triggered my memory.... we had a similar one, there were magnets on the player bases but to pass the ball you pushed the head of the player down to squeeze the base and fire the ball. It was great fun and far better than Subbuteo! Similarly I think the goalies were on a stick. Cannot remember the name of that one though. 

striker or superstriker  

4 minutes ago, Brit70053 said:

'Super Soccer' was the game using magnets under the plastic pitch surface to control the player figures. I recall there was the option of a half round or smaller 'complete' ball to play with.

I think the brand logo was printed in white in one corner of the pitch or board surround ?

My Super Soccer pitch was tin/metal. Little plastic corner flags had a 'foot' that was tucked under the wooden surround.  The goals were similar.

• Like 1

So Jan Siewert has been sacked already. He's got a terrible record, 1 win in 19, but to give a manager the boot after 3 games of a new season smacks of a club without a plan. Why give Siewert a pre-season and a transfer window and then sack him straight away? Seems completely bizarre. They must have been thinking of making this decision since the end of last season, so why not do the deed in May and give a new man a fair crack of the whip? :scratchhead:  It is surprising because Dean Hoyle has always seemed a steady hand with a long-term vision but this appointment and subsequent sacking just hasn't worked. It was clearly an attempt to find 'Wagner mark II' but it just didn't have the impact. Interesting to see where they turn next; will it be another similar appointment or will they panic and turn to the merry-go-round of washed-up dinosaurs? :laugh_mini2:

Elsewhere Sol Campbell has walked out of Macclesfield. I must admit I never particularly warmed to him, I used to think he had such an ego and inflated sense of self esteem, but I will have to eat humble pie on this one. After years of complaining that he wasn't given the Man Utd/Chelsea/Spurs etc job, he finally bit the bullet and took a job in League 2. He performed a minor miracle in keeping Macclesfield up last year in extremely difficult circumstances and really showed his managerial potential. He hasn't been paid for 8 months and the way he has kept himself and everyone at the club motivated during this period is remarkable and something he deserves massive credit for. No matter how wealthy you are, not being paid for doing a job must be soul destroying and Campbell has clearly reached the end of his tether. I'm sure he will now get a chance elsewhere on the back of this but it's the club and the Macclesfield fans who I feel sorry for and worry for their future. They have maybe fine a little under the radar given what is going on at Bury and Bolton but they are yet another club in trouble.

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You would be surprised.

https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/

Jason

Interesting! I have no evidence for saying this, but I do wonder if the buyers now are older collectors and 40+ year old enthusiasts, who played it in their youth, rather than today's kids? Fits a trend of 21st Century 'big boys toys', em just like model railways.......... 

14 hours ago, lightengine said:

Mitrovic rolled around with absolute facial pain after NOT being struck in the face.

I hope he is punished retrospectively.

So do I. His pathetic behaviour was captured by the cameras, so something should be done. Why do players do such things, especially when the game is covered by TV ?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Interesting! I have no evidence for saying this, but I do wonder if the buyers now are older collectors and 40+ year old enthusiasts, who played it in their youth, rather than today's kids? Fits a trend of 21st Century 'big boys toys', em just like model railways.......... 

And LEGO etc. But there must be a trickledown effect. If you get a few kids interested then it could become the next trend.

Jason

59 minutes ago, caradoc said:

So do I. His pathetic behaviour was captured by the cameras, so something should be done. Why do players do such things, especially when the game is covered by TV ?

Maybe it will happen.

https://www.givemesport.com/1497856-aleksandar-mitrovic-could-face-a-twogame-ban-after-disgraceful-playacting-v-huddersfield

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe that a so called professional footballer isn't aware that nowadays there is a camera filming every slight movement any player on the pitch makes.

A season long ban might make him come to his senses and dissuade repeat performances by others, I don't think deducting points is a fair penalty, Huddersfield will be relegated with a minus total if that happens!

Mike.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

So Jan Siewert has been sacked already. He's got a terrible record, 1 win in 19, but to give a manager the boot after 3 games of a new season smacks of a club without a plan. Why give Siewert a pre-season and a transfer window and then sack him straight away? Seems completely bizarre. They must have been thinking of making this decision since the end of last season, so why not do the deed in May and give a new man a fair crack of the whip? :scratchhead:  It is surprising because Dean Hoyle has always seemed a steady hand with a long-term vision but this appointment and subsequent sacking just hasn't worked. It was clearly an attempt to find 'Wagner mark II' but it just didn't have the impact. Interesting to see where they turn next; will it be another similar appointment or will they panic and turn to the merry-go-round of washed-up dinosaurs? :laugh_mini2:

Elsewhere Sol Campbell has walked out of Macclesfield. I must admit I never particularly warmed to him, I used to think he had such an ego and inflated sense of self esteem, but I will have to eat humble pie on this one. After years of complaining that he wasn't given the Man Utd/Chelsea/Spurs etc job, he finally bit the bullet and took a job in League 2. He performed a minor miracle in keeping Macclesfield up last year in extremely difficult circumstances and really showed his managerial potential. He hasn't been paid for 8 months and the way he has kept himself and everyone at the club motivated during this period is remarkable and something he deserves massive credit for. No matter how wealthy you are, not being paid for doing a job must be soul destroying and Campbell has clearly reached the end of his tether. I'm sure he will now get a chance elsewhere on the back of this but it's the club and the Macclesfield fans who I feel sorry for and worry for their future. They have maybe fine a little under the radar given what is going on at Bury and Bolton but they are yet another club in trouble.

Performance based contract ? sack after so many defeats ?

Sadly as predicted the latics are propping up the football league with zero points after three games and i cannot honestly see where the first points are gonna come from toothless upfront abject midfield and defense if we didnt have a descent keeper we would be taking some mauling s no quality or creativity anywhere in the squad . off the field the club is in absolute turmoil  the owners brother is the Director of football whose main recruitment policy is to bring in players from French fourth division and lower clubs who just happen to be represented by his other brothers player agency ? .the team is picked by the Director of Football with no reference to the coach with him playing favorites no matter the players ability or form the coach is a mere figure head by the name of Laurent Banide who has no experiance in English football  and has come from several seasons in Kuwait who sits on the touchline mute brooding and looking increasingly sour with his lot ..off the field the goings on are beginning to resemble a teen soap opera i genuinely fear for the future of our once proud club  

• RMweb Premium

Not a great weekend for my teams with four points from a possible fifteen. Arsenal managed to bundle their way past Burnley with the usual whinges from Mr Dyche afterwards. Sets up a first v second at Anfield next weekend but with our terrible record there I'm not confident. 

Atherton Collieries took a point from Ashton United in their first game up in the 'big league'.

BWFC's young lads felt the strain and got hit for five by Tranmere, reinforcements are desperately needed.

Southport's good start of two wins and two draws and no goals conceded took a 2-0 reverse to Darlington but stay in the top six.

Finally Waterford blew a six-pointer in the Munster derby by losing 2-1 at home to Cork City and are now third bottom in the Irish Premier with only Finn Harps and UCD below them. A real disappointment after a great season last year back in the top division. This is becoming a carbon copy of many European leagues with one team, in this case Dundalk, dominating the division.

Big decision for Mrs L and me on Tuesday evening. Is it to be BWFC v Doncaster Rovers or Atherton Collieries v Warrington Town? Just call us glory hunters . . .

David

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I can't believe that a so called professional footballer isn't aware that nowadays there is a camera filming every slight movement any player on the pitch makes.

A season long ban might make him come to his senses and dissuade repeat performances by others,

Whilst we are at it perhaps some bans for players who surround the Ref and shout at him. I'm sick and tired of that sort of behaviour and can't understand why it's not clamped down on but seems to be accepted. If someone did that on my train they'd be off at the next stop and, if I could, having a chat with the BTP.

13 hours ago, BoD said:

Well that’s blown the premiership wide open, hasn’t it.

Naw, Liverpool just need to win all their remaining matches... ;) :)

• Like 1