The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2019 at 15:47, gwrrob said:

Every chance the way you’re playing at the moment and the title decider might even be played this month.

Well that’s done and dusted as it stands. It’s never over to the fat lady sings but she’s just put up her microphone stand.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Well if Liverpool fail to win it this season they don't deserve to win it ever!

Ah, but haven’t you heard?

It’s a game of two halves.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Taxi for Pellegrini, hello again Mr Moyes.

I just hope that this time he gets the backing (and the time) he needs to set the ailing Hammers on the right track once more.

Personally I think he should have been given the job for longer the first time around - it’s easy to be wise after the event but IMHO David Moyes was doing a pretty good job at West Ham by the end of the season and deserved a longer contract.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Colin said:

Taxi for Pellegrini, hello again Mr Moyes.

I just hope that this time he gets the backing (and the time) he needs to set the ailing Hammers on the right track once more.

Personally I think he should have been given the job for longer the first time around - it’s easy to be wise after the event but IMHO David Moyes was doing a pretty good job at West Ham by the end of the season and deserved a longer contract.

Quite simple he hasnt got any time , WHU need to start winning first with Bournemouth ,and for the next at least ten games get some decent results, to create a much needed buffer . Anything else and they are down simple and at the moment they dont deserve anything else.

At that point a total disaster for the team/club, and their superb supporters who have put up with so much for far too long.

COYI

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Tend to agree Mick, as a season ticket holder who’s supported the club for around 50 years, I’ve been used to occasional cup success, the odd good season mixed with relegations, disappointment and a succession of false dawns - after the latest run of results, once again the supporters are fed up and feeling short-changed.  There needs to be a fairly ruthless clear out of underperforming players plus those who are simply not up to it, I’m not naming names as there’s no need. Personally I welcome David Moyes and his no-nonsense approach - he made Everton into a pretty good side, but of course, he had a lot more time in which to do it.

Does that mean that the "interpretations" of the VAR Ref are just as dubious as the "on the pitch" Ref? Or is it more accurate but has other issues such as the time taken to make the review and the disappointment that can cause if the decision goes against you?

The principle of VAR is a good thing as it should in theory stop bad decisions taking place, but in the process it's thrown up a whole load of other issues...

Rather than VAR killing football I'd argue that the trend for filming matches from all angles and then playing them back at length and at every opportunity whilst highlighting the Ref's/Limesman's errors made VAR inevitable. They killed the game, not VAR...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Quote of the day, Jose Mourihno on being asked why he was booked during the defeat by Southampton on New Years Day. "the yellow card was fair because I was rude, but I was rude with an idiot" Jose's back! 

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the Brighton board were so impressed by Graham Potter's mediocre start to his 4 year contract they extended it by another 2 years back in November not that the supporters were that impressed. Sure, the style of play was more attractive than under Chris Houghton, but there weren't exactly hordes calling for Chris to be sacked, points are far more important. We are now hurtling down the table having picked up a whole point in the last 2 games against teams in the relegation zone. He seems devoid of ideas as to how to turn it around. The contract extension just baffled me and still does. By all means offer one if the manager is doing well but when he's not?

At last a return to something like decent form by Leicester City last night, after a fairly dismal run of League results during the last six weeks, since our eight wins on the bounce run ended. Strangely enough after 16 rounds of matches we had a 14 point cushion over fifth placed Man. Utd. and now, after a distinctly average further 8 matches, we still have a  14 point cushion over fifth place Man. Utd. , so not too much damage done in terms of securing a Champions League  spot.

The next three matches will be difficult - Wolves away  then Chelsea and Man. City at home, but I've got a bit more hope that we could get a couple of decent results if we turn up.

West Ham looked a poor side at the King Power last night, largely bereft of ideas and seemingly lacking basic fitness and energy and David Moyes looks to have a mountain of work still to do. 

Edited by cary hill
sense

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cary hill said:

At last a return to something like recent form by Leicester City last night, after a fairly dismal run of League results during the last six weeks, since our eight wins on the bounce run ended. Strangely enough after 16 rounds of matches we had a 14 point cushion over fifth placed Man. Utd. and now, after a distinctly average further 8 matches, we still have a  14 point cushion over fifth place Man. Utd. , so not too much damage done in terms of securing a Champions League  spot.

The next three matches will be difficult - Wolves away  then Chelsea and Man. City at home, but I've got a bit more hope that we could get a couple of decent results if we turn up.

West Ham looked a poor side at the King Power last night, largely bereft of ideas and seemingly lacking basic fitness and energy and David Moyes looks to have a mountain of work still to do. 

The way Chelsea & Man United are playing, I don't think they're interested in 3rd spot, so I think Leicester are safe!

• Agree 1

well you couldn't make it up at ice station zebra as the saga of the owners v the fans took yet another twist today . the lovely new north stand complete with coperate entertainment facilitys has been closed by the local council safety action group after a survey held at a recent game.  the whole sorry sage of this stand grinds on having been built by the previous owners of the club and stadium it and all its non matchday revenue were retained by them when the club was sold on with the rest of the ground leased to the new owners and only matchday revenues from the north stand coming to them . the management of the new stand and its facilitys were handed over to a group of local businessmen who wish to purchase the whole ground and surrounding land to secure it for the future . this lead to a dispute with the new owners of the club with them withdrawing from using the stand on match days even tho they had sold season tickets for said stand they have also made it increasingly difficult for fans to use the fans bar before games and transfer to other parts of the ground all set amongst the owner pleading poverty matchday boycotts by supporters groups actually beginning to fear for the survival of oldham athletic beyond this season much depends on season ticket sales for next season 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, peanuts said:

I feel for you as I know what it's like to have owners who are a bunch of *******.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2020 at 16:13, gwrrob said:

I feel for you as I know what it's like to have owners who are a bunch of *******.

and now it drags on even more winding up petition issued by HMRC and staff wages "late" both of which we were informed by the club finance director would never happen again .realy fear we wont get to see our 125th season .#Aballahout #supporttheteamnottheregime

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

and now it drags on even more winding up petition issued by HMRC and staff wages "late" both of which we were informed by the club finance director would never happen again .realy fear we wont get to see our 125th season .#Aballahout #supporttheteamnottheregime

and boom into Admin 125 years of history in jeopardy 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2020 at 16:54, peanuts said:

500K, how many weeks wages of a "superstar"?

Annoyingly ridiculous.

Mike.