The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

23 hours ago, Hobby said:

With respect when was that? If you had a rich owner in the 50s and 60s you'd benefit just as now. Clubs have been owned by rich businessmen "indulging" themselves since the early part of the 20thC and for the clubs with the rich owners they were "awash with money" though on a relative level for the times!

Indeed. In the 1980s the club I support, Oxford United, was owned by a certain Robert Maxwell, and despite daftness such as the plan to merge with Reading, it was the most succesful period we have ever had, winning the old Divison 3 in 1984, Division 2 in 1985, and the League (Milk) Cup in 1986 ( I was there at Wembley !) We should have gone on to play in Europe, however English clubs were banned at the time after Heysel. After managing to stay in the top division for three seasons (sadly pre-Premier League riches), we suffered the indignity of relegation out of the Football League before returning to what is probably our natural level, League 1.

16 hours ago, lightengine said:

Oh oh!

Taxi for Steve Bruce.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49109367

Sadly, the fat man holds all the power at the club and Bruce will have to toe the line no matter how much he wants to be positive and proactive. It seems all might not be rosy in the Sports Direct garden though......

19 hours ago, caradoc said:

In the 1980s the club I support, Oxford United, was owned by a certain Robert Maxwell, and despite daftness such as the plan to merge with Reading, it was the most succesful period we have ever had, winning the old Divison 3 in 1984, Division 2 in 1985, and the League (Milk) Cup in 1986 ( I was there at Wembley !) 

Money has always talked. Just the amount of money has increased exponentially in recent years!! 

One week to go until the football gets underway properly again...... cannot wait! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Sadly, the fat man holds all the power at the club and Bruce will have to toe the line no matter how much he wants to be positive and proactive. It seems all might not be rosy in the Sports Direct garden though......

the amount of money has increased exponentially in recent years!! 

Set his stall out and also given himself a way of getting out if it all goes wrong!

Re the second bit, so have transfer fees and wages!

34 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Set his stall out and also given himself a way of getting out if it all goes wrong!

Re the second bit, so have transfer fees and wages!

Very true. Probably better saying "when it all goes wrong!" 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems that there is way round this business of big teams putting their "colts" teams into lower divisions, albeit indirectly........

In May this year Inverness Caledonian Thistle (ICT), which plays in the Scottish Championship, noting that the Highland League had been left with an odd number of teams after Cove Rangers' promotion, suggested that they could make up the numbers with a colts team.. That proposal was rejected.  However, ICT has now loaned nine players to struggling Fort William (last two season goals for 21, against 245) although it has been firmly rejected by both sides that this is in any way a take-over.  So maybe we can expect better things from The Fort this season.

Incidentally, if you can get the new BBC Scotland TV Channel (it's on Freeview 115, but I don't know if that's in England as well) 'The Fort', the story of Britain's worst football team, will be aired on it on Tuesday at 22:00 BST and on the iPlayer shortly afterwards.

DT

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Torper said:

ICT has now loaned nine players to struggling Fort William (last two season goals for 21, against 245) although it has been firmly rejected by both sides that this is in any way a take-over.  So maybe we can expect better things from The Fort this season.

That's very interesting, let's hope it helps The Fort have a better season this year! I am surprised it has been allowed mind...... In most leagues there is a limit on loan transfers from a number perspectives: firstly, the total number of loan players you are allowed; secondly, the number of loan players you are permitted to bring in from one other particular club; and finally, the number of loan players you are allowed to play in the first team (or matchday squad) at any one time. So ICT and Fort William have clearly been able to get round any limitations (someone much more knowledgeable than myself might be able to give details of any loan restrictions in Scotland). 

We can't get BBC Scotland on regular Freeview but it will be on the iPlayer. Sometimes these type of programmes are repeated on BBC4 in due course though - I've seen a few BBC Scotland and BBC Alba football documentaries which have subsequently been shown down here. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I am surprised it has been allowed mind...... In most leagues there is a limit on loan transfers from a number perspectives: firstly, the total number of loan players you are allowed; secondly, the number of loan players you are permitted to bring in from one other particular club; and finally, the number of loan players you are allowed to play in the first team (or matchday squad) at any one time. So ICT and Fort William have clearly been able to get round any limitations (someone much more knowledgeable than myself might be able to give details of any loan restrictions in Scotland).

There appear to be no rules stipulating the number of loan players allowed at one club in the Highland League, although it wouldn't surprise me if some were now to be introduced!

It would seem that The Fort are getting a very decent crowd of talented 18-year olds -

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1805543/caley-thistle-and-fort-william-initiative-adds-new-voice-to-debate-about-colts-teams-and-youth-development/

DT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Torper said:

There appear to be no rules stipulating the number of loan players allowed at one club in the Highland League, although it wouldn't surprise me if some were now to be introduced!

It would seem that The Fort are getting a very decent crowd of talented 18-year olds -

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1805543/caley-thistle-and-fort-william-initiative-adds-new-voice-to-debate-about-colts-teams-and-youth-development/

DT

Very interesting. You can imagine there is going to be a right carry on if Fort William do have a good season. I imagine the other clubs will not be happy. However, if they are operating inside the rules then so be it. I expect the Fort fans will just be pleased to see their team win a few games and score some goals!

The future is looking so bleak for Bury. Sounds increasing likely that they may not even start the season next weekend :cray_mini2:  Let's hope a rabbit can be pulled out the bag, a miracle is needed. The Football League has confirmed that League One will go ahead with 23 teams if the worst comes to pass. 

In much more positive news, great to see that the takeover of Notts County has been completed. It means they can concentrate on the football ahead of the new season rather than worrying about off-field issues. I would love to see them bounce straight back from the National League but, as many big teams have found in recent times, it is such a tough league to get out of. There is a way back though County fans, just look at Luton for inspiration :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its been a stressful time for many fans of many clubs and a sigh of relief for all Notts fans. The new owners however do not appear to have that much money themselves and I seen it suggested they are a front for other parties; what obviously is urgently needed is settling the tax debt and paying the staff who have not been paid for the last two months. Even the other red team acknowledged their roots yesterday  by having a collection for Notts staff although as that would haven taken place after the takeover had been announced I do wonder how little was collected. Thoughts are heavily with Bury; Bury v Notts being the most played fixtures in the football league. Notts by all accounts actually look a fit team by all accounts of pre season matches unlike last season where any jokes about Danish Bacon would have been quite factual - still cannot fathom what Kevin Nolan was playing at- could he not see the players were on the way to challenge his own waist line - of all the parties to blame for last season I'm surprised so few are critical of him.

• RMweb Premium

I feel very sorry for Bury.  It seems they oew £1.6 million and it is difficult to see how they can raise that.  On the other hand if, say, four top players from the two big Manchester clubs got together and each donated a week's wages, the debt would be paid off and the players would hardly miss it.  Now I emphasise that there is of course absolutely no reason at all why they should do that save perhaps for the love of football and the saving of a community asset but I don't think that these are particularly important in today's Big Football where players all too often have no connection whatever with the local community.  What it does again show is the enormous gulf between the Big Clubs and the rest and perhaps the lesson is that one has to cut one's coat according to one's cloth - in other words, aspirations are all very well and who doesn't want to see their club do well, but if you're in the lower leagues and don't have a really wealthy sugar daddy who loves the club for itself, overspending, however well intentioned, is unlikely to lead to more than disaster.  Just as an example, Scottish Premiership clubs are paying out on average £53 in wages for every £100 of income they generate.  This compares to £67 in the Premier League, and £101 in the English Championship, where club owners throw money at players in a desperate attempt to gain promotion and access to the lucrative TV monies  (not something on offer in Scotland!).

DT

P.S.  And Saturday brought one of those joyous days of success experienced by smaller clubs when my team, Forfar, beat Premier league St Johnstone to progress into the last 16 of the Scottish League cup (for which I undestand they get a very welcome £40000 even if they progress no further).  On a less happy note, The Fort's problems appear to continue with a 6-0 defeat against Brora.

Edited by Torper
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/07/2019 at 10:55, Torper said:

I feel very sorry for Bury.  It seems they oew £1.6 million and it is difficult to see how they can raise that.  On the other hand if, say, four top players from the two big Manchester clubs got together and each donated a week's wages, the debt would be paid off and the players would hardly miss it.  Now I emphasise that there is of course absolutely no reason at all why they should do that save perhaps for the love of football and the saving of a community asset but I don't think that these are particularly important in today's Big Football where players all too often have no connection whatever with the local community.  What it does again show is the enormous gulf between the Big Clubs and the rest and perhaps the lesson is that one has to cut one's coat according to one's cloth - in other words, aspirations are all very well and who doesn't want to see their club do well, but if you're in the lower leagues and don't have a really wealthy sugar daddy who loves the club for itself, overspending, however well intentioned, is unlikely to lead to more than disaster.  Just as an example, Scottish Premiership clubs are paying out on average £53 in wages for every £100 of income they generate.  This compares to £67 in the Premier League, and £101 in the English Championship, where club owners throw money at players in a desperate attempt to gain promotion and access to the lucrative TV monies  (not something on offer in Scotland!).

DT

P.S.  And Saturday brought one of those joyous days of success experienced by smaller clubs when my team, Forfar, beat Premier league St Johnstone to progress into the last 16 of the Scottish League cup (for which I undestand they get a very welcome £40000 even if they progress no further).  On a less happy note, The Fort's problems appear to continue with a 6-0 defeat against Brora.

Hope your not so happy next Saturday - 'mon the Diamonds!:D

Edited by luckymucklebackit

8 hours ago, peanuts said:

not looking good for Bury there game off on saturday noblots game is still on 

Busy seem to be on the brink. I really feel for their fans. Bolton going ahead but rumour has it they only have 7 players at the moment. What a mess.

As I have said before though, unfortunately it's going to take a no club going under for the football world and authorities to really do something about it. The woes of Darlington, Halifax and Hereford may have been felt deeply in their own communities but after some initial furore they are soon forgotten. There seems to be a revolving cast of around 10 clubs in crisis at the moment, and that's just in the Football League, never mind before stepping into the non-league game. I really have no idea what the answer is. 

• Agree 1

if you are looking to make some money lump on Oldham as lowest scorers in the league currently 28/1 with bet fred a bargain .club are in real trouble  due to heavy recruitment from french lower leagues we are realy gona struggle this year 

Gents & Ladies, I am an exiled Shaker (Bury), and our plight really does come down to tomorrows High Court Case in London, as whether our rogue "beloved" Chairman can prove the finances to go ahead with the CVA that was agreed last week, but request after request from the EFL have been met with a lack of communication for Steve Dale, hence why the EFL have had no option to force his hand and dish out the suspension.

Fingers and everything else crossed for tomorrow, our fate should be known by around 11.00-11.30am, but if it all goes awry, that's 45 years of love, joys, tears and emotions down the tubes ... as the late great Bill Shankly once famously said about football being more important than life and death .... sorry it isn't now ... it's all about the purse strings, tax fiddles, sponsorship deals, branding, signing on fees, agents fees and everything that has turned the Footballing Community rotten to the core with chasing the holy grail of money.

Up The Shakers, Bury till I die, or the Club dies before me :cry:

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Gents & Ladies, I am an exiled Shaker (Bury), and our plight really does come down to tomorrows High Court Case in London, as whether our rogue "beloved" Chairman can prove the finances to go ahead with the CVA that was agreed last week, but request after request from the EFL have been met with a lack of communication for Steve Dale, hence why the EFL have had no option to force his hand and dish out the suspension.

Fingers and everything else crossed for tomorrow, our fate should be known by around 11.00-11.30am, but if it all goes awry, that's 45 years of love, joys, tears and emotions down the tubes ... as the late great Bill Shankly once famously said about football being more important than life and death .... sorry it isn't now ... it's all about the purse strings, tax fiddles, sponsorship deals, branding, signing on fees, agents fees and everything that has turned the Footballing Community rotten to the core with chasing the holy grail of money.

Craig.

good luck and hope you survive in some form hopefully still in the football league saddly it looks like we Oldham are set to follow due to the clowns in charge who appear to be following the Oyston method of handleing the club the goings on of the last 18 months leave those of us who love this club in depair .for those not in the know the club is now in the hands of a morrocan former players agent who has bought basicly the badge who rents three sides of the stadium from the former owners who own and run the one new stand that makes any money none of which other than matchday takings goes to the club.all other revenue from hospitality gym etc on site goes to them .another  fan lead group have now taken on the day to day running of this facility with a view to purchasing all the stadium to secrure its future for the club .this has now lead to a dispute with our morrocan owner who refuses to use the stand on matchday despite havibg sold season tickets in that stand . on the field we are now managed by a mr hadide whos last post was in dubbie .player  recruitment is being run by our morrocan owners brother who mainly recruits from french reserve teams .todate in pre season friendlys against mainly none league opposition we have looked slow vulnerable and toothless  we have had to come from behind in everygame bar the last two where we have failed to score and have not won a single game .the consensus among fans is that we will be lucky to finish outside the bottom two .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Craig.

I know exactly how you are feeling coming within minutes of extinction ourselves! But there is always hope! Never let them win over your (the fans) passion and love of the game!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hi, 

Not so many years ago I felt the same way after our board stole our ground and rode off in to the sunset and we needed a draw on the last day of the season to avoid relegation from the football league. If someone had told me then that 20 years later Brighton would be in the Premier League I'd have questioned their sanity.

Fingers crossed Bury survive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Hi, 

Not so many years ago I felt the same way after our board stole our ground and rode off in to the sunset and we needed a draw on the last day of the season to avoid relegation from the football league. If someone had told me then that 20 years later Brighton would be in the Premier League I'd have questioned their sanity.

Fingers crossed Bury survive.

always had a soft spot for Brighton fans came to Boundary park first game 2003 season when we were in dire financial problems .some of your fans went to the local B&Q bought a bucket and passed it around the away end and raised over £1k for our fans fighting fund much cudos to your fans forever 

• Like 2