The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

5 hours ago, BoD said:

I wonder what will happen when the owning consortium’s money and/or interest wanes.

Is the answer a quick slide out of the Premier League, down the divisions and into obscurity?

If all non league clubs were funded by rich kids, philanderers and David Bl00dy Beckham then they would all be on tv 24x7.

• Like 1

A discussion on the ownership structures in English football, and their effects:

"The fight for football’s soul: How corporate greed and political apathy poisoned the English game":

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fight-footballs-soul-manchester-united-newcastle-greed-apathy-english-game-a9041066.html

• Informative/Useful 1

On 05/08/2019 at 22:15, lightengine said:

Is the answer a quick slide out of the Premier League, down the divisions and into obscurity?

If all non league clubs were funded by rich kids, philanderers and David Bl00dy Beckham then they would all be on tv 24x7.

Last week I was keeping a tally of how many times Salford City were mentioned on the radio in the lead up to the start of the new season. Needless to say I lost count and the total was certainly more than all of the other 23 teams in League 2 combined. We took 4 points off them last year, just saying.......... :smoke:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought Jurgen Klopp was earning a fair wedge at Liverpool, so why is he doing the Aviva TV advert? I realise the rest of the players are demeaning themselves by doing inane and assinine adverts but I would have thought the manager would be above such things!

Mike.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pH said:

A discussion on the ownership structures in English football, and their effects:

The "Independant" showing that it's anything but... :rolleyes:

I know ST won't agree with me but I do wonder if the "local hub" bit is being overplayed these days. Harriers, my "local" club has a usual gate of around 1000/1200 out of a population of over 55000 so whilst there is some interest, it's not a great deal in the grand scheme of things. Looking at photos of 60+ years ago football stadiums attracted far more people and in those days could be said to be one of the hubs of the local communities, nowadays I'd suggest they aren't. A parallel example would be the local pub, again 60 years ago they were the local hub, but again things have changed, people's habits have changed and most of them have now closed... I just feel that (amongst the politics) that article seems to be harking back to an era which has long gone, and is nothing to do with politics and everything to do with changing habits of the general population... It's just that people would rather spend their money elsewhere...

• Agree 1

On 06/08/2019 at 21:19, pH said:

"The fight for football’s soul: How corporate greed and political apathy poisoned the English game":

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fight-footballs-soul-manchester-united-newcastle-greed-apathy-english-game-a9041066.html

Ever read a book by the journalist David Conn, The Beautiful Game?, in which he made many of the same points  20 years ago? It starts with a description of the events at Hillsborough, and ends with Batchelor's attempt to close down York City F.C. for personal gain.

First north east derby tonight! Darlington 1 - 1 Gateshead nigh on 2000 crowd and honours even! A far better Gateshead team in the first half scoring first with us not getting any real hold of the game until the later stages with an equaliser that ended the contest in a draw!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hobby said:

The "Independant" showing that it's anything but... :rolleyes:

I know ST won't agree with me but I do wonder if the "local hub" bit is being overplayed these days. Harriers, my "local" club has a usual gate of around 1000/1200 out of a population of over 55000 so whilst there is some interest, it's not a great deal in the grand scheme of things. Looking at photos of 60+ years ago football stadiums attracted far more people and in those days could be said to be one of the hubs of the local communities, nowadays I'd suggest they aren't. A parallel example would be the local pub, again 60 years ago they were the local hub, but again things have changed, people's habits have changed and most of them have now closed... I just feel that (amongst the politics) that article seems to be harking back to an era which has long gone, and is nothing to do with politics and everything to do with changing habits of the general population... It's just that people would rather spend their money elsewhere...

My reputation goes before me :derisive: 

Well I both agree and disagree...... we would be in a similar position as Kidderminster. A large town but we get average gates of around 650 to 750. Most of the folk of Gateshead support Newcastle. That won't chagne whatever we do. However we do some excellent work in the local community and have a good impact at grass roots level. So we do lots of coaching with kids, go into schools, run summer soccer schools, we do walking football sessions and do a lot of good work locally. I've read about Maidstone and there 3G (or is it 4G pitch) - they hire that out to schools, youth teams, ladies teams etc and have the community using it all day and every night of the week. Now that's great for the local community! Now I'm not saying Man City (just for you Hobby!) should be doing the same BUT I have no doubt they are doing great things in east Manchester in engaging with the locals, particularly kids. However, for both Gateshead and Man City, those people they engage with in 'extra curricular' activities are unlikely to come along on a Saturday afternoon. There are different reasons, cost for you and probably apathy for us, but it doesn't mean that what goes on outside of the 22 blokes kicking a ball about on the pitch isn't important. 

On the crowds point, yes we got bigger attendances in the Football League. However, one thing you do notice in looking back is that crowds were much more variable 30/40/50 years ago. They would often drop off markedly towards the end of the season; in pre-play-off days many clubs had nothing to play for in the last couple of months. I would imagine this has to do with lower prices and a relatively smaller proportion of season ticket holders. Not forgetting that in the 1980s, when football and the country was at its nadir, crowds were pretty dismal. Newcastle for down to around 15,000 for home gates, Sunderland similar and Middlesbrough far less! There are no rose-tinted spectacles here......

But ultimately you're right, the world has changed. Most fans would rather sit at home with their Sky Sports subscription as watch 3 games on a Saturday rather than going to their local club. That isn't going to change, no matter what clubs do. Football now competes with loads of different leisure activities for people's disposable income. 

The pub parallel is a good one. Folk would rather sit at home with their tinnies from the supermarket, rather than go to their local. Life changes, the world moves on, habits and behaviours change. That's just the way it is and things definitely were not always better in the past! The football 'product' we have now is incredible at the top of the game in particular. We are spoiled as football fans, but we all get our enjoyment where we choose and where we feel comfortable, whether that is sat on your sofa in front of your massive HD telly or down at a cold, wet and windy Gateshead International Stadium :laugh_mini: No approach is more virtuous or better than another, they are just different ways of appreciating the game. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

First north east derby tonight! Darlington 1 - 1 Gateshead nigh on 2000 crowd and honours even! A far better Gateshead team in the first half scoring first with us not getting any real hold of the game until the later stages with an equaliser that ended the contest in a draw!

Good game last night and great crowd. We were far better in the first half but Darlo certainly came out much better after the break. It's going to be great having all these local derbies this season!! :clapping:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

No doubt lots of hype around the Premier League today. I listened to some of the Liverpool/Norwich match last night. Routine win and pretty ominuous evidence of the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. I'm sure we will have another two-horse race this year. And folk are brazen enough to complain about Scotland....... 

At least there have been several teams involved, unlike the Scottish Prem where it's just been two with the odd appearance by another from the NE... And I'd suggest that the football itself in the EPL is better to watch as well...

• Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 22:20, andyram said:

Still recovering from the shock!

We've got Wayne Rooney!!!!!

Don't worry Forest fans - you have Carl Jenkinson!!!!

The same Wayne Rooney that let down a generation of England fans with his petulant behaviour. Just as Mr Bl00dy Wonderful had against Simeone.

I haven't got time for either of the money grabbers.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

At least there have been several teams involved, unlike the Scottish Prem where it's just been two with the odd appearance by another from the NE... And I'd suggest that the football itself in the EPL is better to watch as well...

Well it's clearly of a far higher standard. Sometimes though, quality does not equal entertainment. Conversely, relatively low standard football in terms of technique can be tremendously exciting! Although there is an awful lot of dross out there too :laugh_mini: (says the man who spends his life watching National League football.) 

Remarkably, VAR seems to be working quite well (and importantly quickly!) in the early PL kick-off. 

• Like 2

Regarding the EPL being a higher standard and more competitive than the SPL; the great Jock Stein once compared it to all the eighty year old men in the village having a running race around the village green. It would be highly competitive; but that doesn't mean it would be quality. 

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hobby said:

And I'd suggest that the football itself in the EPL is better to watch as well...

I'm sure that the quality is excellent, but as others have said that doesn't mean that it's "better" to watch.  I suspect that the 4-4 draw between Albion Rovers and Cove Rangers today was much more exciting than, say, the Crystal Palace/Everton game.  I'm sure that there was more skilful football in the latter match, but I bet the former was a lot more entertaining.  In fact, one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to recently was last Sunday in Dundee when I watched my 13-year-old grandson playing in a boys league game.  Lots of energy and commitment from all concerned, no little skill from several of the players, and lots of goals!  And of course there was a certain degree of emotional involvement on my part too!

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torper said:

I'm sure that the quality is excellent, but as others have said that doesn't mean that it's "better" to watch.  I suspect that the 4-4 draw between Albion Rovers and Cove Rangers today was much more exciting than, say, the Crystal Palace/Everton game.  I'm sure that there was more skilful football in the latter match, but I bet the former was a lot more entertaining.  In fact, one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to recently was last Sunday in Dundee when I watched my 13-year-old grandson playing in a boys league game.  Lots of energy and commitment from all concerned, no little skill from several of the players, and lots of goals!  And of course there was a certain degree of emotional involvement on my part too!

DT

How very dare you! We had 68% possession, far more attempts on goal and clearly deserved to win. So, a very typical Everton performance.

10 hours ago, lightengine said:

The same Wayne Rooney that let down a generation of England fans with his petulant behaviour. Just as Mr Bl00dy Wonderful had against Simeone.

I haven't got time for either of the money grabbers.

The same Wayne Rooney who has lit up the English game with quality football for a long time. Funny how, when mentioning petulant Englishman you conveniently leave out a certain Mr Gascoigne who had a similar temperament to go with his obvious skill.

4 hours ago, lightengine said:

2 Arsenhole players won't play at NUFC because of a serious threat.

I have a cunning plan.

some time later

I've just got off the phone to Manure, Man City, Chelski, West Ham, both Scouse, Wolves and Southampton, I didn't bother with Arsenhole. 

Didn't want to overdo it so I only threatened 10 of each squad.

Whether the above is meant as a joke or not it is poor taste and some of the language could be deemed offensive. Do not stoop into the gutter where some so called fans of all clubs can frequent. You are better than that surely. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, lightengine said:

2 Arsenhole players won't play at NUFC because of a serious threat.

I have a cunning plan.

some time later

I've just got off the phone to Manure, Man City, Chelski, West Ham, both Scouse, Wolves and Southampton, I didn't bother with Arsenhole. 

Didn't want to overdo it so I only threatened 10 of each squad.

I didn't realise being held up at knifepoint was a joking matter. 

• Agree 1

Been at Hillsborough this afternoon to watch SWFC beat Barnsley 2-0 with my Dad. Good game - a proper local South Yorkshire derby, with a good atmosphere from both sets of fans.

With the chances on goal my team had, if they'd all been scored, we would have easily at least won 5-0!

Lee Bullen's (Our 'temporary' manager who is a Wednesday legend) Barmy Army!

Sam (A happy Wednesdayite tonight!)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Torper said:

I'm sure that the quality is excellent, but as others have said that doesn't mean that it's "better" to watch.  I suspect that the 4-4 draw between Albion Rovers and Cove Rangers today was much more exciting than, say, the Crystal Palace/Everton game.

Strange! I was comparing the EPL and SPL, I hadn't realised those two had got promotion! ;)

Yes there will be good and bad games in all leagues, whatever the level, however I stand by my point when comparing EPL/SPL...

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, sammyboy said:

Sam (A happy Wednesdayite tonight!)

Who needs a manager after all!?! :pardon:

35 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Yes there will be good and bad games in all leagues, whatever the level, however I stand by my point when comparing EPL/SPL...

That's very true. It's funny I don't equate quality to entertainment when it comes to football but I do when it comes to my other hobby/interest. I'm a musician but I would never go and listen to a group/ensemble who were not of a high standard. I just couldn't face it! Maybe that because I play, so I completely understand the technical qualities and proficiency needed to perform at a high level, whereas with football, although I have played it was never to any great standard so maybe I am not so picky. Having said that, a large part of the joy of football for me is found in the social aspect, the friendships, the cameraderie of going to the match, rather than particularly in the 22 blokes kicking the ball around on the field! :laugh_mini: What I love is the history and tactical analysis of the game, the collective spirit and links that cross generations. I know I'm very strange though and definitely not reflective of the norm ( @Hobby probably things I am even more of a weirdo now!! :laugh_mini:) but it's everything surrounding the football that makes me love the game. Mind I will still be at the GIS all season cheering my lads on..... bring on Bradford PA on tuesday night... Haway the Heed!! :clapping:

• Like 3