The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Ejecting Bulgaria from Euro 2020 qualifying would be pointless now as they only have one game left and are not going to get through anyway ! Plus it would remove from the records the performances, and goals, of the other teams in the group. Banning them from, say, the 2022 World Cup AND 2024 Euro qualifying, on the other hand, would certainly make them (and others) take notice.

Valid point. At this point in the campaign that would be nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

But they were not banned by UEFA. They were banned by Mrs Thatcher.

Given my football allegiances, I remember it well.

incorect Mrs Thatcher requested that the FA withdraw English  teams from European competitions before they did the Eufa banned English teams https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/english-football-clubs-banned-from-europe

• RMweb Gold

British fans were banned because of the hooliganism, not racism. There was a lady on the Today programme  this morning who  put the proposition that some Italians fans and Eastern Europeans fans were motivated by by politics, not football and there was a Cardiff City fan on the previous evening who used to be a hooligan and said that there should be sanctions on the people who create the trouble. He talked of reporting to police stations at kick off times, temporary removal of passport to prevent travel to away matches. It all seemed reasonable to me.

I do wonder what UEFA will do, Bulgaria are almost certain not to qualify for Euro 2020 anyway and the game finished, England won and it's all in the past now. I While I think the best way to behave is to answer the abuse on the pitch, which England did superbly, I think if they'd have walked off UEFA would have had a bigger problem do deal with. 

After all the pre match threats it seemed like the abuse was an act of defiance from the Bulgarians and what I've read some of the stewards were involved  as well. 

I do fear that  unless a team walks off, no '3 step protocol' it all get's washed under the carpet, and even if a team did that, the problem in certain countries seems deeper ingrained in the culture, after all it seems like the Bulgarians didn't think the abuse was worth mentioning.

At least there seems to have been arrests made and internal investigations taking place.

My heart also goes out to the family of the supporter that was found dead in Bulgaria, last I hear was they cant seem to get any information as to what might have happened or how he died, I cant imagine the trauma and pain they must be going through.

Steve.

12 hours ago, 96701 said:

British fans were banned because of the hooliganism, not racism. There was a lady on the Today programme  this morning who  put the proposition that some Italians fans and Eastern Europeans fans were motivated by by politics, not football and there was a Cardiff City fan on the previous evening who used to be a hooligan and said that there should be sanctions on the people who create the trouble. He talked of reporting to police stations at kick off times, temporary removal of passport to prevent travel to away matches. It all seemed reasonable to me.

Please get your terminology correct - English fans were banned from Europe, it did not extend to Scotland, although please believe that I am not saying that we were exempt from the odd spot of thuggishmess (mostly Rangers).  The ban did have a knock on effect for Scottish football, as many English players moved to Scotland (again mostly Rangers) in order to be involvd in Europe.  Something that I strongly believe had a detrimental long term impact on Scottish football as it stifled the development of young Scottish Players

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Hobby said:

Actually no, I've no axe to grind at all. But the way some (luckily not all by any means) Scousers put themselves across (and that post was one) is that they are always the "victims", I was just pointing out that isn't the case and they'd get a lot more sympathy if they realised that. Unfortunately your post rather confirmed mine. There was a very good book written about the "North" a few years ago by an ex-pat northerner who'd been living in the south and went back up to see what it was like and it he put it far better than I, if I can remember the name of it I will post it. Hooliganism was a problem shared by all of us back then and no-one blamed Liverpool fans in particular for it, far from it. From what i remember the Leeds and Milwall fans of the day had a lot bigger "reputation" (if that's the right word!)! I went to both Liverpool clubs many times in the 70s and never had any issues, even when i cheered when my team scored when surrounded by Scousers, I wouldn't have dared try that in Leeds, though! 

Getting my posts removed now. Stop playing the victim and looking for sympathy. You’re pathetic.

5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Please get your terminology correct - English fans were banned from Europe, it did not extend to Scotland, although please believe that I am not saying that we were exempt from the odd spot of thuggishmess (mostly Rangers).  The ban did have a knock on effect for Scottish football, as many English players moved to Scotland (again mostly Rangers) in order to be involvd in Europe.  Something that I strongly believe had a detrimental long term impact on Scottish football as it stifled the development of young Scottish Players

It also had a detrimental effect on my club, Oxford United, who won the League Cup in 1986, but were denied what would without doubt have been their one and only chance to compete in Europe by something totally beyond their control or responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Apologies, it was getting a bit late, and couldn't be bothered to check. I was originally typed "English" and then an unmistakable case of doubt overtook me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

It also had a detrimental effect on my club, Oxford United, who won the League Cup in 1986, but were denied what would without doubt have been their one and only chance to compete in Europe by something totally beyond their control or responsibility.

Just me being pedantic, but Blackpool have played all their league games in Europe since the club was founded in 1887.  

I know what you mean though, Caradoc.

A major upset is still on the cards in the Scottish Cup, RMweb's favourite Scottish club Fort William drew 1:1 away from home with league two Albion Rovers and will be hoping for a big result in the replay, unfortunately for me if they win they would then play my team Airdrie in the next round and as we are absolutely awful just now we could be facing a big embarrasment.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great result for The Fort and a terrible embarrassment for Albion Rovers who had been hoping that they'd score a barrowload of goals and thus help revive their current poor form.  Replay at Claggan Park on the 26th.

DT

Southampton 0 Leicester City 9..............perhaps we can do "something" this season after all.  Premier League era record away win ....... not bad. One very happy Foxes fan.

Edit .....I undersold that it a bit.......... highest ever top flight away win. 

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:53, Claude_Dreyfus said:

In other news, Bury's demise has given the mighty Chichester City a bye into the FA cup second round. A nice touch from Chi is the donation to the Bury continuation appeal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50130136

Good on them and hopefully it might make other clubs feel guilty they have done nothing; 1% of the transfer fees on Premierships deadline day would have paid off Burys debts.

8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Good on them and hopefully it might make other clubs feel guilty they have done nothing; 1% of the transfer fees on Premierships deadline day would have paid off Burys debts.

and what happens when the next club comes along cap in hand having overspent for three seasons chasing the dream of promotion ? Bury  made thier bed now they have to lie in it championship wages in league two on gates of less than 3k was only ever going to end one way yes i feel sorry the supporters who were powerless to do anything about it and the EFL have to take along hard look at themselves for missing the warning signs untill things were to late but the end at Bury was inevitable 

23 hours ago, peanuts said:

and what happens when the next club comes along cap in hand having overspent for three seasons chasing the dream of promotion ? Bury  made thier bed now they have to lie in it championship wages in league two on gates of less than 3k was only ever going to end one way yes i feel sorry the supporters who were powerless to do anything about it and the EFL have to take along hard look at themselves for missing the warning signs untill things were to late but the end at Bury was inevitable 

I agree with your thinking there, shades of what the government decided not to bale out Thomas Cook, it is all about precedent, as in all probability there will be others.

On a Scottish note Fort William's giant killing efforts came to naught as they were soundly beaten at home in the replay by Albion Rovers to set up another "El Bukfastio" home derby against Airdrie

Jim

Ok expecting clubs to bail Bury full stop might be going too far but its a simple the majority of the 92  91 clubs are either deeply in debt or have an owner throwing money about in a  usually failed attempt to progress while top clubs rake in money. Some levelling out of finances is needed or there will be more clubs going bust. For many clubs its a continual cycle of debt, almost bust, new owner promises the earth, new owner runs of money, debt, almost bust...

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Ok expecting clubs to bail Bury full stop might be going too far but its a simple the majority of the 92  91 clubs are either deeply in debt or have an owner throwing money about in a  usually failed attempt to progress while top clubs rake in money. Some levelling out of finances is needed or there will be more clubs going bust. For many clubs its a continual cycle of debt, almost bust, new owner promises the earth, new owner runs of money, debt, almost bust...

Even the top clubs can and do throw lots of cash and end up with little to show for it.

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

Two words:

No Chance!

correct if you think the top money making clubs are gonna give up there ritches is but a dream .as an aside have a look at the geography of the clubs that have gone into or are currently teatering on the edge of meltdown and then look at where the two ritchest clubs in the world are in relation to them .