The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

You hope... As did United...

Maybe, but he still won 3 trophies at Utd. 

Guess another question would be what happens after Jose, bearing in mind he's not at clubs longer three seasons. I think all Spurs fans have to see it as a short term appointment.

Steve.

He didn't win the ones that mattered, though, there are only two that really count for a top PL team, PL Champions and Champions League Winners...

I am surprised that Spurs fans are looking at it that way, for someone so high profile that seems a very negative view, unless they are just looking for him to win a trophy for them and are not bothered what it is... Will he have money to spend and what does the existing squad think, I wonder?

Wonder who'll get Poch?

Edited by Hobby

28 minutes ago, Hobby said:

He didn't win the ones that mattered, though, there are only two that really count for a top PL team, PL Champions and Champions League Winners...

I am surprised that Spurs fans are looking at it that way, for someone so high profile that seems a very negative view, unless they are just looking for him to win a trophy for them and are not bothered what it is... Will he have money to spend and what does the existing squad think, I wonder?

Wonder who'll get Poch?

It would be nice to start winning something.  Spurs have got the tag of serial losers  the PL and CL would be fantastic but a long way off realistically, as of yet I think last year was their best chance and they didn't show up in the final. 

Questions about money etc are all valid but I don't think he would have gone there if he wasn't satisfied with that. It's interesting that he's known for spending and gone to a club with a shrewd businessman owner, I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the 'please Mr Levy can I have some cash' meeting! 

I always thought Poch was destined for Man U but would Arsenal fans have him?

Steve 

• Like 1

The main thing that matters to the "top" Premier League team owners is consistently qualifying for the Champions League. Tottenham are well off the pace this season. No win in five and in 14th position.

But his mannerisms was the most telling to me. He looked like he didn't really want to be there and has for months....

I reckon he'll be off to Spain. Maybe after a little holiday.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

West Ham must hold the record for playing teams, that have just changed their manager, immediately as their next game. Usually it ends in a defeat for us, as the players up their game to impress the new man. Maybe a draw at the weekend will please both sides.

I liked Poch', as a manager and a person. Hope you don't suffer too much with the "new bloke".

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Loving Vardy and VAR working in unison for Leicester against Everton yesterday evening. Ideally I'd have preferred a more comfortable win against Everton's time wasting big brutes (although I don't blame them for that approach given their current predicament) but a win is a win.

I don't wish to count any chickens, but up next are three "winnable" games against Watford, Aston Villa and Norwich City before the Xmas period crunch games against Manchester City and Liverpool.

Leicester City are 12 points ahead of the three faltering "Big Six" teams at the moment and if that gap can be maintained or increased going into the second half of the season Leicester should have good chance of aiming for a Champions League spot.

If none of the above comes to pass so far this season the football Leicester have played is the most entertaining I have seen Leicester play since the 1970's days of Worthington, Weller et al.

The current team is much better to watch than the 2016 "Legends" team, which mainly relied on a few moments of  individual  brilliance  and lethal counter attacks backed up by long periods of dogged organised defence to get results.

I wouldn't mind hearing the Champions League "music" playing one more time in little old Leicester's ground.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cary hill said:

Loving Vardy and VAR working in unison for Leicester against Everton yesterday evening. Ideally I'd have preferred a more comfortable win against Everton's time wasting big brutes (although I don't blame them for that approach given their current predicament) but a win is a win.

I don't wish to count any chickens, but up next are three "winnable" games against Watford, Aston Villa and Norwich City before the Xmas period crunch games against Manchester City and Liverpool.

Leicester City are 12 points ahead of the three faltering "Big Six" teams at the moment and if that gap can be maintained or increased going into the second half of the season Leicester should have good chance of aiming for a Champions League spot.

If none of the above comes to pass so far this season the football Leicester have played is the most entertaining I have seen Leicester play since the 1970's days of Worthington, Weller et al.

The current team is much better to watch than the 2016 "Legends" team, which mainly relied on a few moments of  individual  brilliance  and lethal counter attacks backed up by long periods of dogged organised defence to get results.

I wouldn't mind hearing the Champions League "music" playing one more time in little old Leicester's ground.

Heard rumours this morning that Arsenal are considering Brendan Rodgers for their next manager, hope he has the sense to stays where he is. 

6 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Heard rumours this morning that Arsenal are considering Brendan Rodgers for their next manager, hope he has the sense to stays where he is. 

Those rumours have been going on ever since Unai Emry got the boot. I can't see why he would move to Arsenal, unless he is absolutely  desperate to manage a "Big Club" in a total mess, and is promised £500 million to replace the whole of Arsenal's defence, which is an utter shambles and defends like a bad  pub team in most games.

If, as he claims, he most enjoys coaching and improving young players he is at exactly the right club. Leicester have as good a group of key young players as any team in the country at the moment and they have been improving continually ever since Rodgers arrived a few months ago.

We just need to keep the vultures away in the January window.

Leicester also have a brand new £100 million state of the art training and coaching facility due to open in the summer  next year which should also be right up Rodger's street.

But then again there's nowt so queer as folk and  Rodgers has got previous.

Edited by cary hill
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Rogers has already dismissed the rumours saying he was happy at Leicester and doesn't need to look elsewhere.

I guess the odds for him going shortened straight after that. 

Rogers showed what he can potentially do at Liverpool, though imo he wasn't at the right stage of his career as a manager for such a big step up at the time (plus was certainly hampered by the transfer committee system in place (which seems to have also effected Man Utd since Ferguson left).

He has the best opportunity to make a success and win some English trophies at Leicester, they've some promising (and very good already) young players, so I can see them fighting season-on-season for top 8, maybe top 6 consistently.

Arsenal is a 5 year+ task of total rebuild, and not just players, the philosophy of the club and backroom is in dire need of a shake up, Wenger really stayed too long and let rot set in before he left.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2019 at 16:02, cary hill said:

Every chance the way you’re playing at the moment and the title decider might even be played this month.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sad to read that West Ham, Tottenham and of course England World Cup legend Martin Peters has passed away  at the age of 76 after suffering with Alzheimer’s for some years.

Not sure I ever saw him play at Upton Park as he was slightly before my time, but older Hammers fans always spoke of him as one of the all time greats. RIP Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 21/12/2019 at 18:21, Colin said:

Sad to read that West Ham, Tottenham and of course England World Cup legend Martin Peters has passed away  at the age of 76 after suffering with Alzheimer’s for some years.

Not sure I ever saw him play at Upton Park as he was slightly before my time, but older Hammers fans always spoke of him as one of the all time greats. RIP Martin.

Well, as he's one of the only two Englishmen ever to score a goal in a World Cup Final, that would to for me........

• Like 1