Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Hi Jim, very sorry to hear of your good lady's health issues and the decision to dismantle G&N, fully understandable under the circumstances, none of the reaction buttons seemed appropriate to me on this occasion.

Having followed your thread across the different sub-projects I hope you are able to continue your modelling activities when time allows and fully appreciate this will take a back burner for the time being.

Best of luck with the move when it happens and my best wishes to you and Mrs. Luckymucklebackit.

Regards,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes sorry to hear this news Jim .  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading about the layout. You have certainly captured Central Scotland very well.  Wishing you and your good lady all the very best . Take care

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • luckymucklebackit changed the title to Gateside & Northbridge Back again!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all - I am delighted to say that work has begun on the re-incarnated Gateside and Northbridge!  There have been a few false starts as initially it was to be in the loft, then in a shed in the garden and finally back in the loft.  The problem has been access to the loft and a distinct lack of height up there, but I have persevered and most of the boards are now down.

The plan is to have the same basic idea of Gateside as the Glasgow end of the layout and Northbridge as the Edinburgh end.  Unfortunately after drawing up and discarding a few more complicated trackplans I have had to do without Mavisbank, but to compensate there are a few new features.  Allanshaw and it's cradle will now become an intrinsic part of the layout and there will also be another "Spacesaver" type shunting yard - I plan a lot more freight operations as the old layout was run with passenger trains only 95% of the time.  Many lessons have been learned from the last layout, it will all be on the one level, no hidden tracks, no inaccessible pointwork, no complicated pointwork, better quality wire used.  The whole thing is also being planned as one big project, although it will be split into smaller schemes for track laying and scenics.

Here is the basic plan, excuse the quality it was drawn using old fashioned pencils and set squares, scanned then modified using Microsoft Paint 

trackplan.jpg.3f3e5b1f73edfbe7f8780450a05d3320.jpg

This view down the length of the loft shows how cramped it is!

501899650_20200710_194950(2)(1024x768).jpg.8b1f68d87007545fbaebbe5ccd879253.jpg

Allenshaw partially reassembled in its new home, lot of work to do to the yard as it was originally designed to be worked from the rear.

50185441398_e9bdf88fcf_c.jpg.922482cfe1eeedacc9add16627c70d73.jpg

Great to be back modelling!!

Cheers

Jim

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Andy/All - Well I am afraid to report that all that planning and woodworking from last year came to naught.  My wife started to get homesick over Christmas and then her elderly Uncle fell ill and he now needs care, subsequently we decided to move back to Eaglesham and we are currently preparing for that move.  We have bought a flat and I have been promised that the second bedroom is mine for layout construction.

It will be nice to have the warmth and natural light of a room to model in, the space will not be as generous as the loft but we are still looking at 10ft by 8ft so I will be able to create something in that.  I have done some initial outline planning but nothing concrete - I am waiting for the ink to be dry on the legal documentation before progressing to anything detailed as I have had too many false starts in the last two years.  Looking at a terminus fiddle yard based around Gateside/Glagow Buchanan Street  with some freight interest starting with the existing Allenshaw.  Right now everything including the timber is in secure storage waiting for the move to be completed, currently the target date is 2nd July.  Will give an update around then.

Cheers

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 7

So if you are thinking of moving house just now, my advice is DON'T, we have just been told by the lawyers that that is our move finalised and we move on the 2nd of July, just over 3 months from putting in our offer. Everyone is blaming COVID but it is just sooooo slow. Still I can look forward to starting a layout in the not too distant future. As you can see I have changed the title of the thread, Northbridge is not going to feature in the new railway room, there simple is not enough space, so it is going to be a slightly larger Gateside Buchanan Street, more accurately based on the Glasgow Buchanan Street Station with five platforms, along with some expanded freight sidings and depots etc on a lower level. Allenshaw will be salvaged and rebuilt, needing some major repairs as the moving about and storage hasn't done it any good.

Watch this space.....

Jim

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

The low-level station, in particular, reminds me of one of your earlier designs for a certain model railway group.  Is 'Allenshaw' sitting at the same level as the loco shed and suburban station?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

11 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Jim,

The low-level station, in particular, reminds me of one of your earlier designs for a certain model railway group.  Is 'Allenshaw' sitting at the same level as the loco shed and suburban station?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, spot on with the low level station, the low level section will have a Central Low Level theme, and that station will be an amalgam of stations typical on that line.  Allanshaw will be at the same level, so unfortunately I can't run the lines from the LL station under the bridge at Allanshaw, did think about it but it wouldn't work

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

13 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Here is the plan, is the C.J. Freezer influence pretty obvious?20210606_163008.jpg.e4486a50f3823f92678092e5705893e6.jpg

Jim

If I remember correctly, I think I saw this crop up on Facebook. An impressive track plan! I’m glad I’ve found it on RMWeb so I can follow the process!

Good luck with your house move!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all, so 14 months on and I am finally back modelling.  The first plan was not exactly what I was looking for and I still yearned for the old concept.  By chance I was getting  my book collection sorted out and I came across my old C. J. Freezer books, and I looked at plan L24 in "Plans for Larger Layouts" which had been the inspiration for my original G&N and realised that this plan had been shoehorned into a 8' 6" by 7' 6" room, I had 6" more all round so the challenge was on to do the full G&N concept in that space.  A lot of drawing later I came up with this plan.  It is a true Freezer inspiration, basic plan L24, low level  station under Mavisbank  is from S22 "Plans for Small Railways"and the multiple bridge river crossing P25 from "Track Plans".  Purists will be horrified but I just like lots of operating potential.

20220831_113533.jpg.3488dc10918e34a3f5b7f91e247609d7.jpg

Baseboard building started just before Xmas last year but the room needed to be used for storage which prevented any further work.  I decided then to work on what will be the lowest level at the bottom R/H corner of the layout.  This had originally been planned as a non scenic low level locomotive storage fiddle yard and turning facility, but since I had time on my hands it has developed into this...

FB_IMG_1661938532771.jpg.f01bf7bf15e8125efb7313aad2e841e2.jpg

FB_IMG_1661938545780.jpg.0147ec00ce8d38bf57bb9d199632c2ce.jpg

FB_IMG_1661938519401.jpg.bc0cd9442a1e74f5f72f8db7527f68f9.jpg

A lot of buildings from the old layout have been re-purposed, the only thing that is new is the Peco turntable.

Great to be back modelling.

Jim

• Like 10

Great to see a new version of G&N coming into being Jim, I think if I was building a fixed "home layout" it would take a similar direction with a terminus, through station, yards and lots of operational possibilities. 

Looking forward to further instalments!

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Hi all and thanks Martyn.

Now that the low level Gateside depot is nearly complete, I have turned my thoughts to the next stage, which will be a refurbished Allenshaw inglenook adapted for this layout. The yard suffered a lot of damage during the various moves and times in storage so a lot of repairs are required. 

The new headshunt will not be on the girder bridge (which will become a mainline feature) but will be immediately behind the backscene for the depot and the approach track will be changed from a straight approach to a 1st radius curve :shock: ! No biggy there as this yard will be restricted to small tank locos and 4 wheel wagons, indeed there will be a height restriction on the headshunt, with the Barclay pug being the yard shunter. The curved approach will also mean that the Foundry building will be rebuilt on a different footprint.

This was the old plank being tried in place

FB_IMG_1662482967795.jpg.b03a04efb30aaa2a8fecae439ada670e.jpgFB_IMG_1662482974454.jpg.f99dfe440b17e4b101da0aeda15ff084.jpgFB_IMG_1662482985127.jpg.b25492b9cb3377637546e885c1f31fb2.jpg

Cheers everyone.

Jim

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Just finished reading your whole thread. What inspirational and inspiring modelling. Your original layout was brilliant and worthy of the many complimentary comments. 
Have you made any further progress on your new layout since your last update, it would be good to hear and see any updates 

• Thanks 1