Chiltern Railways shunters

RSA

Chiltern Railways now (as of last year) have a couple of shunters, one at Aylesbury the other at Wembley. They are sister locos: Ruston & Hornsby LSSH, see picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_adams/4944925833/. Having done a bit of reading around they seem to be ex. MoD locos, one of which then worked in Eastleigh.

Something for a 4mm kit manufacturer to consider?

Rob

An 07 should be suitable (see link below). BR 07s were Ruston model LSSE, identical to the LSSH apart from the transmission system (electric instead of hydraulic). The only thing to look out for is the number of wheels. THe ruston classification took into account loco size & power and transmission system but didn't differentiate between wheel arrangements. LSSE meant Locomotive, 275hp, standard gauge, electric transmission and was available as an 040 or 060 depending on what the customer needed.

http://www.silverfoxmodels.co.uk/shunters_trams/british_rail_class_07_Ruston_0-6-0_shunter.htm

• RMweb Gold

the wembley shunter has been named now. Its called "scaz" after one of the maintainance crew who has just retired or had long service or something.

Only a few drivers sign them, i did have a look on the one in aylesbury a couple of months back while i was doing traction.

An 07 should be suitable (see link below). BR 07s were Ruston model LSSE, identical to the LSSH apart from the transmission system (electric instead of hydraulic). The only thing to look out for is the number of wheels. THe ruston classification took into account loco size & power and transmission system but didn't differentiate between wheel arrangements. LSSE meant Locomotive, 275hp, standard gauge, electric transmission and was available as an 040 or 060 depending on what the customer needed.

http://www.silverfox...6-0_shunter.htm

The LSSE - BR 07 seems to have a longer rear bonnet and no rear walkway. I also see that there are differences to the bonnet sides (number of grilles) between the two. Besides the hydraulic vs. electric transmission.

Craftsman also do a BR Class 07 model.

Anyone any ideas on a good match for Chiltern Railways blue?

i used a generic humbrol dark blue when i painted up my 165, looks close enough to me!

the RAL code is useful though as i fancy doing another one at some point

At the risk of stating the obvious, be wary of using the 'RAL' colour as is

I once painted a 4mm Leyland Atlantean with paint 'borrowed' from South Yorkshire PTE's paint shop and it just didn't look right. Something to do with distance colour density perception I think. :unsure:

At the risk of stating the obvious, be wary of using the 'RAL' colour as is

I once painted a 4mm Leyland Atlantean with paint 'borrowed' from South Yorkshire PTE's paint shop and it just didn't look right. Something to do with distance colour density perception I think. :unsure:

Quite right. Given that the prototype has been painted with blue paint with a wavelength of 450-495nm, for a 4mm scale model you need X-ray paint with a wavelength of 6-7nm! B)

Archived