The white stuff

TommyDodd

What happens on your garden railway when it snows?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What happens on your garden railway when it snows?

• I don't run. WInter time is workbench time
    • I like to run in the snow, so I clear the track using brush, shovel and other non-scale methods.
    • I get out my working snowplough, couple up and CHAAAAARGE!!!

Over the last few years, we haven't had that many really snowy winters, though it feels rather ironic typing that right now. For me, the opportunity to run and take photos in the snow is a rare treat and one to be taken full advantage of. I'd always been jealous of those of my fellow 16-millers organised enough to have built working ploughs in time to use them. Last christmas I finally managed it, had tremendous fun clearing the track the old-fashioned way and look forward to doing the same again this winter (score so far, 40 yards cleared, numerous derailments and 1 broken coupling). I just wondered what everyone else thought and did.

[Edited to correct a spelling mistake]

This is one of the things I'm looking forward to - and I love to look at others photos of garden railways in the snow. I hope to be able to build a line that has some photogenic sections designed specifically for enjoying taking photographs and cameos - so in the snow this will be loads of fun! :)

Got any to share yourself this time?

• RMweb Gold

Well if you have as much snow there as we do in Caistor then you must have some really heavy duty stuff to move it all.rolleyes.gif I recall the last time we had snow as bad as this was in 1979 and I was in Gainsborough then. I agree with James though pictures we need pictures.laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Mine is not a garden railway but I couldn't resist the temptation to get a couple of 40+ year old 00 gauge models out of the loft and into the garden this afternoon. They are beginning to show their age though.

post-5613-010551500 1291301991_thumb.jpg

Somewhere on the Midland Railway

David

It has been a few years and my children aren't as keen to run trains in the snow as they once were...

The snow blowing train-

post-41-072110900 1291416370_thumb.jpg

The turbo blower, an idea borrowed from the Great Western. Since I didn't have a smallish Rolls Royce jet engine I settled on commercial marine bilge blower with a nozzle, the jet of air is quite powerful, the flat car is capable of reaching escape velocities if not coupled to a locomotive.

post-41-053212900 1291416401_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't run in the snow, but I do take photos. One usually ends up on my Christmas Card.

The first one has had the trees in the background deleted. The second has had some 'snow' added to the left of the railcar.

All the best for Christmes and the New Year.

Andy

post-6509-0-04299200-1293125260_thumb.jpg

post-6509-0-72032800-1293125273_thumb.jpg

Has anyone found any damage to the loco from running in the snow?

any rust or anything like that?

Thinking I might one day build a garden railway in 00 as i'm never going to have enough space to build an indoor layout.

The springs Aristocraft uses on their older freight car bogies will rust. The locomotives from Aristo and USA Trains don't seem too bothered by the snow, especially if you are on battery power.

OO is too small to play in the snow with, IMO. Not enough mass to overcome the white stuff, part of the fun is pushing it aside...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Has anyone found any damage to the loco from running in the snow?

any rust or anything like that?

Thinking I might one day build a garden railway in 00 as i'm never going to have enough space to build an indoor layout.

7 years later with a reply....

No loco damage from when i've run in the snow (must have been 2010 last time that happened!), but it did damage an LGB carriage wheel, seperating the metal wheel from the plastic insulating part purely from the force of pulling the carriage through snow still between the tracks and the flange wanting to pull itself towards the centre of the track.

Haven't built up the mount for my LGB butterfly plow yet.  But we get more "dusting" type snow along with brutal cold.  So when we get those dustings of snow that looks like a scale snow fall on the railway, out comes the live steam.  Cold weather running is magical, the plume just hangs above the train. Of coarse having a live steamer that will run well in the cold helps.  My Merlin Major with the gas tank directly above the boiler in the cab does just fine in cold weather.  I normally raise steam on the kitchen counter, then carry the engine to the railway and waiting train with oven mitts once ready.   Now only if I could tollerate the cold better!     Mike

• Like 1

7 years later with a reply....

No loco damage from when i've run in the snow (must have been 2010 last time that happened!), but it did damage an LGB carriage wheel, seperating the metal wheel from the plastic insulating part purely from the force of pulling the carriage through snow still between the tracks and the flange wanting to pull itself towards the centre of the track.

Did have some minor and unusual 'damage' - or at least a rather important bit fall off which could not possibly have happened in other circumstances. Meccano snowplow fitted to mamod flat wagon with a brick on it to keep it on the track.

Apologies for the aspect ratio being wrong - was alright until I uploaded it...

https://youtu.be/kKHpEKV6XFY?list=UUxm2edymrxeAyS9JAcFa3SQ

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Administrators

You know, a couple of pages on snow clearance would be nice in a future Garden Rail. Photos and words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk (Hint!)

Oh, and fitting sound in Thomas would be interesting as well.

Edited by Phil Parker