Waverley Route Stations

DaveArkley

Here's another old Waverley thread reawakening after some time off the front page. Rechristened from Dave Arkley's St Boswells thread, here is the WR station discussion and resource park, entering its second page!

RCAHMS is a great source of unexpected treasures, and this is no exception: Fountainhall in 1976. Boarded up for seven years, it awaits its next tenants. The desolation period, post-asset stripping is evocative in an uncanny way. Usually it's the photos of Gala, Melrose and Hawick that convey the brooding emptiness the best, but the B&W one buried in here is simply incredible.

http://canmore.rcahm...details/509217/

• 3 months later...

Penton had the curious reason to remain staffed to The End, as the caption to this poignant photo explains: http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=26271

However, could the BRB be held to be in breach of its conditions of carriage for selling a ticket valid for three days? Would alternative arrangements have to be made, or would it be valid on the 'replacement bus service?'

However, could the BRB be held to be in breach of its conditions of carriage for selling a ticket valid for three days? Would alternative arrangements have to be made, or would it be valid on the 'replacement bus service?'

There are distant bells ringing here! I've a hazy memory of somewhere in the BR timetable in the years before closure, there was mention of railway tickets being valid on the bus. I suppose in the case of buying a return to Edinburgh from a Border station and using the return half for a bus journey.

Teamwork Bruce, teamwork! I've got somewhere, the emergency/ interim bus timetable bulletin issued by Eastern Scottish leading up to closure. If I remember rightly, there is a full explanation of inter-validity for tickets. I'll try and dig it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention the turntable, or lack of. The Peco one is way too large, so I think options are:

Omit the turntable (don't fancy that)

Scratch build a static one - does anyone know the dimensions or have a photo with something I can scale from?

Scratch build one, and find a genius to motorise it.

On another note I belive cattle were deliverd to the auction by rail and road. By the 1960s I think the market behind the station and A68 was gone.Does anyone know if all cattle left the market alive in cattle trucks, or if there were butchering facilities at the auction and more mundane vans were involved?

Cheers

Dave

St. Boswells was a 51ft turntable.

Roygraham

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, a picture of Longtown Engine Shed; or its twin at Gretna?

Anyone know what engines were located there?

roygraham

No.

No. But I have some information on what locomotives were used on the branch.

How far are you going back?

All I have to hand is for 1910 when passenger services Longtown-Gretna were operated by ex Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway 0-4-2 locos. Freight was worked by a Drummond 0-6-0 Tank No49 named Gretna. Passenger trains ceased in 1915 when the MOD took over the area.

After 1923 the LNER ran freight services on the line using locos from Carlisle.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard,

I was hoping to get a clue as to what worked the yards at High Moat with their incredibly tight curves and other indusrial locations in the area. Thought it might have been a Sentinel of something similar? I know that the Longtown E.S. had working turns on the Gretna service.

I drove through Moat last Sunday and slowed down to show Mrs 37175 the old cast iron road sign that points towards Riddings Station .... only to find that it has now been altered (or renewed, which I doubt) and the word "station" has disappeared, the letters having possibly been ground off which is such a shame. This is a photo of what it used to look like:

RiddingsRoadSign.jpg

I used the word "altered" where perhaps I should have used the term "officially vandalised"? Such a shame another piece of the area's heritage goes the same way as the line went before it.

Even though it dates to more recent times the plastic sign at Penton still points to Penton Station, so why oh why has the beautiful old cast sign at Moat had the word "station" removed?

PentonRoadSign.jpg

It's amazing what the original costs were for these items. I have a friend who purchased almost a complete set of WR totems from the stores at St Enochs in 1971 ... for £1 each. Plus a few other items at not too dissimilar prices, including a large Eskbank & Dalkeith station sign and Hawick South 'box enamel. I daren't even divulge how much the Galashiels & Gorebridge totems cost me as they sure as hell were nowhere near those prices!

Longtown is the only non-Scottish one on the route?

This never crossed my mind before, but the remaining stations 'this side' of the border crossing itself at Kershopefoot, had pale blue totems, even Riddings Jct that was pretty well on the Regional boundary. I suppose we can excuse the seller the omission of Harker and Lyneside from the analysis!

Guest Max Stafford

I presume that's the real-deal and not a replica?

Absolutely 100% genuine and original, sir! :) Agreed with the carpet, Mick. it's got to go!

Dave.

Absolutely 100% genuine and original, sir! :) Agreed with the carpet, Mick. it's got to go!

Dave.

Quite superb condition then, ;-). Must have been really clean locos that used to pass Ruberslaw.

Can I ask where you got it? I'd be interested in something similar.

"When Ruberslaw puts on his cowl,

The Dunion on his hude,

Then a' the wives o' Teviotside

Ken there will be a flude."

Darn it, ought I rechristen T'bank Teviotside now I've unearthed this 14th century gem? Better make my mind up before I get running-in boards made up :scratchhead:

• 3 weeks later...

And it's from Disused Stations that I've culled this shot of Parkhouse in 1978:

http://www.disused-s...lt/index2.shtml

Pretty much as I remember encountering it for the first time, maybe a year later. Note how there appears to be a fence-line beyond the old A74 bridge, as just there is the vast swathe taken by the M6 as it becomes the A74 (another step beyond the Final Insult).

In another shot on the site purporting to be Parkhouse, there seems to be a signal box right in the path of what would become the motorway, however it claims to be 1975 yet it's more overgrown than '78, the platform faces are precast concrete, and moreover I can't see a S/B in photos from the sixties, so I reckon that is a misnomer.

EDIT: the pylon in the interloping photo is the giveaway - it's actually a photo of Harker looking North to the minor road bridge from the platforms of the second station.

Moving up the line a wee bit, this is Longtown as I remember first seeing it: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/longtown/index9.shtml

Still in the Holy Grail section is footage of Longtown's freight-only years... I can't get over the fact that I would have passed this spot even earlier, most probably in Summer '72, when there was probably a fair amount of railway remains. As an excitable six year-old enthusiast I'm sure I frothed over it, at the same time being unable to take it all in.

And it's from Disused Stations that I've culled this shot of Parkhouse in 1978:

http://www.disused-s...lt/index2.shtml

Pretty much as I remember encountering it for the first time, maybe a year later. Note how there appears to be a fence-line beyond the old A74 bridge, as just there is the vast swathe taken by the M6 as it becomes the A74 (another step beyond the Final Insult).

In another shot on the site purporting to be Parkhouse, there seems to be a signal box right in the path of what would become the motorway, however it claims to be 1975 yet it's more overgrown than '78, the platform faces are precast concrete, and moreover I can't see a S/B in photos from the sixties, so I reckon that is a misnomer.

EDIT: the pylon in the interloping photo is the giveaway - it's actually a photo of Harker looking North to the minor road bridge from the platforms of the second station.

Moving up the line a wee bit, this is Longtown as I remember first seeing it: http://www.disused-s...wn/index9.shtml

Still in the Holy Grail section is footage of Longtown's freight-only years... I can't get over the fact that I would have passed this spot even earlier, most probably in Summer '72, when there was probably a fair amount of railway remains. As an excitable six year-old enthusiast I'm sure I frothed over it, at the same time being unable to take it all in.

Here's the real Parkhouse in 1969. The footbridge is a bit of a giveaway.

roygraham

post-13258-0-59155800-1321890107_thumb.jpg

Archived