Waverley Route Stations

DaveArkley

I know this is a bit too late really but I thought it worth a mention - GCR Railwayana Auctions have this up for grabs today...

http://www.gcrauctio...141/lot171.html

Yep ... and I'm pleased to announce that it's coming home, well to Whitrope Heritage Centre at least :sungum:

For what you get for the money, I think signal box name boards are a better buy than totems ... there are certainly less of them, that's for sure!

Ouch! By just a tenner is quite harsh, sorry to hear that mate.

By the way, I don't suppose you've still got that old copy of D6875 in green have you? I can't recall where it was taken - your bro' showed it to us years ago.

Ouch! By just a tenner is quite harsh, sorry to hear that mate.

By the way, I don't suppose you've still got that old copy of D6875 in green have you? I can't recall where it was taken - your bro' showed it to us years ago.

Do you mean the colour shot of it on the Glos & Warks line c. late '60s...? It might still be on the Bill Potter Collection website, or linked from it. Off to work now, but will scour my hard drive and discs for it tomorrow ;)

S141L0171.jpg

The above is what will be coming back to the Waverley Route ....

.... though since 1969 it has obviously had a repaint, given it was black letters on a white background for the final few years (pre 1965 to 1969), as below, from Geoff Cryer's site at http://www.geoffspag...ry/waverley.htm

93.jpg

... and on the Disused Stations site at http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fountainhall/index7.shtml

fountain(jmc1.1969)hall_old1.jpg

Did the previous owner think it was a station running-in board, hence the colours? Although I'm no expert on these matters, I doubt that a signal-box name board would ever have been painted in this fashion by the Scottish Region. Certainly the board off Blackford Hill box (which I acquired shortly after it closed - don't ask how) is painted black and white.

Bill

PS Would the latter be of any interest to the WRHA even though the location is a few miles away from the WR? - it's been languishing in my parents' garage for over 40 years now and could do with a good home.

You're probably spot on there Bill ... my guess is the same - I'll see what it's like when it arrives and will have to weigh up whether it gets left as-is or is repainted as per originally. Knowing that it has already had a repaint since closure & removal may make the decision easier.

That's a very kind offer for Blackford Hill, and one which we most definitely would like to take you up on.

Matt - PM sent regarding D6875 ;)

Looking at PINZA (RIP) in that Fountainhall shot immediately made me think of the Heljan 7mm model which in turn made me wonder.... has anyone ever built a Waverley based layout in the larger scale....? Given enough space (and dosh of course) it would certainly appeal, along with all the locos and stock that are currently available via kits, r-t-r and bespoke / handbuilt types.

You're probably spot on there Bill ... my guess is the same - I'll see what it's like when it arrives and will have to weigh up whether it gets left as-is or is repainted as per originally. Knowing that it has already had a repaint since closure & removal may make the decision easier.

That's a very kind offer for Blackford Hill, and one which we most definitely would like to take you up on.

Matt, it's in Duns so would you be able to collect as I don't have any means of transporting it? - there's also the wooden arm of the down (?) distant signal from Duns station (the cast iron spectacle plate is broken off) which you would be welcome to.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

Sadly 'baby English' appears to have reached the Waverley, but the quality of the image more than compensates!

D.

• 3 weeks later...

Were there any stations on or around the Waverley route that had station buildings over/ above the track and access down via steps? I've been trawling but can't see any so far...

Thanks in advance!

Ian B

None were directly over the tracks. At Eskbank and Tynehead the buildings were not on the platforms but at road over bridge level with a path/steps down to the platform.

None were directly over the tracks. At Eskbank and Tynehead the buildings were not on the platforms but at road over bridge level with a path/steps down to the platform.

Thats kinda what I thought! Thanks for confirming that for me- means I can make some decisions about where to place my station on my layout... :locomotive:

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, a nice pic of a Peak at Melrose from a previously unseen collection. There are loads of pics to be sorted through with quite few from the Waverley Route and sourrounding branches, all are in colour as well. Just a wee taster! I still need to talk with the copyright owner of them to see what he wants to do with them as it would be nice to get them all on the web for everyone to enjoy.

Alasdair

post-15601-0-35817900-1346484135_thumb.jpg

Archived