Westerns Volume 1 by Adrian Curtis

Ben04uk

I was just wondering if anyone has received a copy of the new Adrian Curtis book entitled 'Westerns - Volume 1: A Definitive Record of the Western Region Class 52 Diesel-Hydraulics Locomotives'? If so, would you recommend it? Is the book mainly text or is it a pictorial record? Are there details about workings and diagrams for each Class 52?

I understand that 'Cast of Thousands' by the same author was also very good but unfortunately I don't have a copy of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Would highly recommend the book has a well balanced mixture text & pictures. Received it earlier this week though not yet read it in detail but at first glance is very informative on the lines of previous publications by Adrian Curtis.

Format is similar that of the Irwell Press “The Book of the “series. After a brief introduction each loco is covered over at least four pages giving Date Built / To Traffic, Liveries Carried (with dates), Depot Allocations, Last Day in Traffic, Withdrawn, Reason for Withdrawal, To Swindon & Cut up dates & Millage with at least 6 to 9 pictures. Details are given of the last hours / workings leading up to withdrawal with the Swindon works histories also supplied. This covers the first 129 pages for the Swindon built D1000-1029 Westerns. Pages 130-144 are more textual. With volume two covering the remainder of the class would certainly live up to the title of a definitive record.

Archived