Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

The Great Bear

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Great Bear said:

In hindsight I should have got something more appropriate ie western,

Might I suggest a Heljan Hymek?  Nice and heavy and should cope with the CMX, although I can’t quote from experience yet.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Do those CMX things work well?

In my experience, yes; and you should find other favourable reviews - I'm sure I looked before splashing out (!?) on it.

My staging tracks are rather inaccessible, hidden behind the branch line terminus (though that can be moved if need be, and have just done that to clean up some out of control cobwebs!) so for me having a hands-free cleaning method was highly desirable.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Might I suggest a Heljan Hymek?  Nice and heavy and should cope with the CMX, although I can’t quote from experience yet.

Paul.

The 37 does have a habit of derailing on double slips, I've just found having done the staging tracks - not sure if that's a trait or something amiss with mine- so maybe a 4 axle loco might have been better.

Now, a proper train. And you can't get much more proper than a Star - at the head of a cross-country express (Birkenhead to Margate/Sandwich or something like that perhaps)

spacer.png

The close up does rather cruely show the limitations of my painting and lining on the leading brake composite.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Great Bear said:

Now, a proper train.

Oh yes!  Lovely stuff. More please.  GWR expresses sweeping through the landscape  do it for me every time. (Though I have been known to glance at the odd goods train.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Oh yes!  Lovely stuff. More please.  GWR expresses sweeping through the landscape  do it for me every time. (Though I have been known to glance at the odd goods train.)

Absolutely, so what have you got planned for the Easter weekend.:drink_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Having bought the Hornby suburban coaches when they came out a year ago, finally here's a train with them in.

spacer.png

The second coach, strengthening the set to five coaches, is a home made C23. The transfers on the coach ends eventually will get changed to London Division; I think from discussion in the topic on the coaches such a set was used; or if it wasn't rule no.1 applies:smile_mini: The Bulldog is a home made hybrid of Bachmann Earl plus 3d printed body. Running it here has exposed a problem, in my excited haste to finish it I didn't put any weight in the boiler, so the phrase "couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding applies". Oops:fool:

spacer.png

The five coach train doesn't quite fit on the platform and on the up side it's shorter still the loco would need to stand off the platform, I don't know if that would be protypical? The siding in the foreground will led to the Bacon factory...at some point. Mind you the inset track in the goods yard ought to be re-done too. Oh and yes, I forgot the tail lamp on the train!

More shortly...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

Having bought the Hornby suburban coaches when they came out a year ago, finally here's a train with them in.

spacer.png

The second coach, strengthening the set to five coaches, is a home made C23. The transfers on the coach ends eventually will get changed to London Division; I think from discussion in the topic on the coaches such a set was used; or if it wasn't rule no.1 applies:smile_mini: The Bulldog is a home made hybrid of Bachmann Earl plus 3d printed body. Running it here has exposed a problem, in my excited haste to finish it I didn't put any weight in the boiler, so the phrase "couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding applies". Oops:fool:

spacer.png

The five coach train doesn't quite fit on the platform and on the up side it's shorter still the loco would need to stand off the platform, I don't know if that would be protypical? The siding in the foreground will led to the Bacon factory...at some point. Mind you the inset track in the goods yard ought to be re-done too. Oh and yes, I forgot the tail lamp on the train!

More shortly...

It's acceptable for the loco to be beyond the platform, provided it is in rear of the starting signal.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had the same problem with a Ratio Johnson slim boilered 4-4-0. It wouldn't pull at all until I put the motor in the tender and filled the whole loco with lead. The funny thing was I also had a pair of the 2-4-0s and they could pull as much as an etched 2F. 4-4-0s have always been a problem. It looks very nice though. Even if it is green.:O 

Regards Lez.  

• Thanks 1

A few shots of a goods train...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Probably the last for a while as I'm running out of working locos:sad_mini: Most are in boxes and not fitted with decoders yet, for safe keeping until the layout is complete and everything tidy... which never seems to happen. Plus a few more are in various stages of disassembly where plans to detail or get running have hit the buffers of time/patience/skill.

Edited by The Great Bear
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• The Great Bear changed the title to Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

Hello, it's been a while. The last big outstanding item for Langford Lane was finishing the goods yard and adding the Bacon factory that was present next to my prototype inspiration station, Kidlington.

For years I couldn't find a decent picture of this building, it being seen in the distance of a few photos, a photo of part of it during its demolition and the overall shape from OS maps. In later summer last year I managed to find a 1960s vintage aerial photo of decent resolution on the Oxfordshire County Council picture library. This allowed me to more or less piece the jigsaw together and work out what the building looked like, a rather distinctive building. Also it was very large, too large. So I scaled it down by about 30% to get something that would fit on the layout. The bacon factory sits beyond the goods yard, served by a private siding that ran across the station approach. To get it to fit, the distance to the factory I reduced and omitting a gaggle of outbuildings (many added during World War 2 I think).

The buidling was made in card, like the other ones on the layout, having drawn it up in CAD. The cylindrical and louvred foor vents I 3d printed. Finishing the goods yard in the autum was frustrating, it taking absolute ages for the DAS clay I was using for the ground surface to dry.

Finally, here it is:

spacer.png

The factory sits on the lifting flap for access into my railway kingdom.

spacer.png

As best I can guess from the limited photos the building didn't have many windows.

I have no idea about the traffic to/from the factory. Kidlington was only served by one down Oxford-Banbury goods a day mid morning, plus possibly with also by an up Banbury-Oxford goods mid afternoon. (I I remember correctly, the first one the service timetable indicates the yard is worked, the second one it doesn't but the train waits at Kidlington for a good while.) I don't know what type of wagons would be used in association with factory, I think I read that animals weren't slaughtered here, but can't recall where.

As may be seen in the first photo, I did manage to run a train (a very rare event) a few more photos to follow later.

All the best

Jon

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

If the animals weren't slaughtered on site, I would suggest that the carcasses would be delivered by refrigerated vans, but whose vans may possibly be dependent on where they were slaughtered, if somewhere on the GW it would be Micas.  The bacon may also depart in the same vans or maybe siphons as per sausages.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

If the animals weren't slaughtered on site, I would suggest that the carcasses would be delivered by refrigerated vans, but whose vans may possibly be dependent on where they were slaughtered, if somewhere on the GW it would be Micas.  The bacon may also depart in the same vans or maybe siphons as per sausages.

Thank you. As the factory, when opened, was owned by a co-operative of Oxfordshire Farmers (later it was taken over by Harris), the animal carcusses I suspect came from mainly the local area so  whether this would still be rail or a mix with road? So perhaps more rail outgoing traffic than incoming?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent build. I like the colour shades, very convincing. Quite an interesting structure too, I imagine some parts - e.g. the roof vents - were a bit tricky.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s an interesting and unusual building for a layout.

The only sausage factory I’m familiar with was the old Walls one at Southall, next to the station and the Maypole margarine factory. The latter was rail connected with its own loading dock.

Although I’ve seen photos of the group of buildings as they are next to the station. I don’t recall seeing any of the traffic.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1