Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

The Great Bear

• RMweb Gold

I know I've asked you before but what have you used in the photo in post 301 to do the point rodding.A shopping list would be great Jon.As you may know I'm installing signals on ANTB at the moment.

I know I've asked you before but what have you used in the photo in post 301 to do the point rodding.A shopping list would be great Jon.As you may know I'm installing signals on ANTB at the moment.

Yes you have, Rob but no problem. Here you go:

• Rodding - 0.38mm dia steel piano wire bought on Ebay in 915mm lengths - note you can see this is rusting a bit on the layout. I used this to minimise the number of joints, you can get 0.4mm dia wire/rods in brass and maybe nickel steel from Model signal engineering or Eileen's
  • Rollers - 3d printed from Modelu - need to specify if round or square rodding. Alan is very helpful and if you ask he can probably send you a little sample to try - that's what I did
  • Cross-run rollers - cast rodding stools from MSE sawn up to suit
  • Stools - 1mm card strips glued onto the ballast
  • Cranks, compensators - from Brassmasters - you get a lot more per sheet, especially compensators than the MSE ones, the bits being assembled on wire as above
  • Brass washers 16BA from Eileens for the cranks, compensators to lift the cranks off the base
  • Balsa wood for the foundation blocks for the cranks and rodding which I then cut holes in the ballast to accommodate
  • ​Gun blue pen to blacken the rods - note slightly mixed results
  • Railmatch sleeper grime to paint the rollers 
  • Superglue as needed to hold it all together - I generally use zap a gap, mostly the yellow slower and more viscous one, sometimes the green one if I want quicker bond

Planning this stuff is quite a task, you can see I ended up doing scale drawings (quite easy for me, have the tools and a modicum of CAD skill from work). Of course I tapped into the usual source of prototype information, Stationmaster, as evidenced in this thread and another one on point rodding I started. I also got a couple of old issues of Model Railway Constructor which had some good details in, there is also some stuff in GWR branchline modelling.

The Modelu 3d printed rollers don't come cheaply, mind - but in my view you get what you pay for, something that looks realistic close up. If you're prepared to accept (much) less detail an impressionistc blob look at MSE point rodding (eg on Captain Kernow's Callow Lane). Alternatively, on Stoke Courtney Checkrail I think used Peco plastic bits; I don't think they come cheaply either, though.

Good luck with it.

Jon

• Like 1

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/wd-020-gwr-point-rodding-rollers/

I assume these are the rollers you mention. Not sure whether I would need square or round as yet, how many would I need to do an eighteen inch run for example Jon.

Yes, those are the ones, Rob. GWR rodding was round with point rodding stools/rollers at 6' centres so that makes 20

• 3 months later...

After a six month or so hiatus in the last month I've summoned up the enthusiasm to complete most of the remaining point rodding, the large run (up to 11 rods) in the up cess running from the signal box toward the station. The parts and techniques are all as per previous posts.

p2160865944-5.jpg

p2160865939-5.jpg

The close up shows that yet more vacuuming of grass cuttings (hanging basket liner) is needed!

p2160865941-5.jpg

p2160865943-5.jpg

Due to the number of rods, as a shortcut for most of the many compensators I didn't try to break the rods and connect them, too tricky and not easily noticed; I only did this where they were on the nearest one to the track, and so more visible, like the one in this photo.

The only remaining bits of rodding now to complete are the underline crossings and the run next to the branch into the bay platform and goods yard. That's only 3 rods max so should be a lot more straightforward. Then another big tidy session is due and maybe some trains can run.

Whilst posting, may I take this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year and thank you for the continued interest and support in my efforts.

All the best

Jon

• Like 13

Very nicely done indeed, and puts my own much more perfunctory 'suggestion' of point rodding to shame!

Look forward to more photos of M and B.

John C.

Thank you, John. You're being too modest; the (Ratio) rodding on Stoke Courtenay and detailing of the cess looks good to me, very tidy.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jon.  Actually my rodding isn't Ratio - it's fabricated from MSE whitemetal stools, with rods and rollers fashioned from handrail wire.  As I'd omitted to plan it at the outset it kinda disappears under the track and supposedly goes round the back of the platforms.  That's my story!  I took one look at the little brass frets for cranks, compensators etc.. and decided that I had neither the patience nor the dexterity required for full authentic detailing, so fell back on the old saw that "a coat of (grimy) paint covers a multitude of sins". But it's nice to see someone do it properly.

John C.

Lovely work John

It's been quite a while since I last looked in but the standard of work is just as good if not better than it was then, I have made a note to refer back here if/when I get around to rodding, I can only hope to match what you have achieved, Great work.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Photos of the last bits of point rodding, along the branch and into the goods yard. Good to get this done. Next time I'd do this a lot earlier in the layout building process to ease access (and prevent bashing signals :cry: ) and get a few details like the under track crossings a bit better.

p2190653777-5.jpg

p2190653780-5.jpg

So now on to tidying up and adding more details. And run some trains :) 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A few more shots

p2201203445-5.jpg

Still some of the terra cota DAS clay showing. A little job is to top up the ballast on this pointwork a bit which should fix that. Also needing fixing is the autocoach which I started detailing with the Dart Castings kit oh fve years ago. Think I still have the bits, though pretty sure the instructions have gone missing in this time.

p2201203473-5.jpg

I do like these track level or trackside views, done by controlling my camera via wifi.

And an overview of the station area

p2201203525-5.jpg

The goods yard (under the book) needs finishing off. The top siding will lead off to the bacon factory which I may leave for a while to do.

All the best

Jon

• Like 19

Also needing fixing is the autocoach which I started detailing with the Dart Castings kit oh fve years ago. Think I still have the bits, though pretty sure the instructions have gone missing in this time

I have recently updated an Airfix autocoach with the Dart Castings kit, and I think I still have the instructions.  My scanner is knacked, but if you want want to pm me your address I'll lob them in the post for you

Jules

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/wd-020-gwr-point-rodding-rollers/

I assume these are the rollers you mention. Not sure whether I would need square or round as yet, how many would I need to do an eighteen inch run for example Jon.

Assuming you haven't gone and purchased yet, Brent needs square rodding for 1947 according to the data Mike has posted in my thread.  though I have yet to find a source for square rod in meter lengths, and not looking forward to making it all up in 12inch lengths

• 8 months later...

How has this layout NOT gotten into Hornby Magazine yet?

Thank you, that's very kind to think it's worthy of a magazine. If only the layout was finished, another six months maybe - but I thought that six months ago and six months before that and six months before that etc... At the moment, after a summer off largely, attention is focusing on locos and rolling stock. With my usual messy self, the layout in the meantime is a bit of a dumping ground and at least one signal has suffered as a result - oops.

Thanks again

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

One of several projects on the go at the moment is a more appropriate autotrailer for the branch line. Photos of the real Woodstock branch show trailer 110, a matchboard side trailer diagram A7 being used post war. Having seen what Simon Dawson, Rue_d_etropal of this parish, could do with 3d printing http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124562-dear-hattons-time-for-a-proper-autocoach-please/?p=2886454 with a diagram Z trailer, he kindly made the modifications to get an A7.

Simon's Shapeways shop can be found here https://www.shapeways.com/shops/recreation21

Here is the model as received from Shapeways (and the world's messiest workbench!). It is in what they term their White Strong and Flexible material, I don't know the technical details. 

p2689674187-5.jpg

The material is not smooth so bit of research on this site suggested using Halfords plastic filler primer then sanding down and repeating a few times

p2689674193-5.jpg

p2689674191-5.jpg

I've made a bit more progress since these photos, will post details of this anon. In the meantime, thank you for the interest shown and encouragement given and I wish you all a good Christmas.

All the best

Jon

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the autotrailer over Christmas. Firstly, a rudimentary interior

p2701130707-5.jpg

My painting and lining even using transfers not brilliant.

p2701130708-5.jpg

Initially I used a precision enamel for the cream but I didn't like the colour and it didn't take so well to the plastic so reverted to Railmatch acrylics. The photo is a bit cruel and the surface blemishes around the windows (coming from my painting I think) I could try and sand a bit but will leave for now.

Now onto the underframe, the cab and exterior detailing like grab rails...

• Like 6