Langford Lane & Marlingford - GWR 1940s Oxfordshire

The Great Bear

Gosh, you've been very productive!  Having just read through the thread on the toplights I'm full of admiration for the way you've mastered and refined the technical issues as you went along.  And what a variety of diagrams.  Nice work.

Think I'll just plough on with the couple of kits I've got in hand, while awaiting the promised Slaters renaissance!

Would love to see more pics of Marlingford & Begbrooke in due course.

John C.

You are making some nice progress, I see what you mean about the 3d hubs ones, that's quite a nice finish. 

Fingers crossed we see some from Slaters, as with those costs I'm thinking we won't see much uptake! 

Thanks, both.

It will be interesting to see what the selling price of the re-introduced Slaters ones are, the unavailable ones on Mr Dunn's site are £45 and some ebay prices have been silly. I am guessing some increase, around the £55-60 mark? That being said, the bogies in the Slaters kit are said to be rather fiddly to build so on top of that maybe another £10 outlay. I would also be interested to see how the finish and details compare with the resin prints I have got done; I suspect the resin prints are as good as/near enough to the Slaters ones based on photos I've seen. The next step up, if you have the skill - I don't, is the gold standard of the David Geen kits, £95 or more if one wants better roof. There are question marks over the future availability of these, the business being sold.

Putting the cost aside, the beauty of the 3d printing approach is that an unlimited array of diagrams can be produced eg the 70 footers or brake composites or slips or indeed non-corridor stock. Also it would be pretty easy for panelled stock to delete panels here and there or the toplights to represent stock in its later life. It's just the design time to do it and - as it stands - me having the need for such stock. (Edit - and a drawing or photos to work off: enough to at least be able to make reasonable guesses as to dimensions, anyway!)

The Slaters range I think only covered panelled diagrams so the steel bodied multibar ones plus the more eccentric diagrams as above might be an opening for a cottage industry, if it can be done for something more reasonable in cost and reliable supply. I am thinking about this but no promises!

Happy to receive peoples' thoughts on this.

Jon

Edited by The Great Bear
  • Like 1

Jon

I love the layout. Track, ballast, scenery all very good and evocative.

Can I ask a few questions about your grass banks.

Is that hanging basket liner?

Did you tease it out and glue the fibres down? Or did you lay the liner as a sheet?

If its teased out fibres glued down, whats underneath it?

How did you colour the liner/fibres? Paint or fabric dye?

Rich

Jon

I love the layout. Track, ballast, scenery all very good and evocative.

Can I ask a few questions about your grass banks.

Is that hanging basket liner?

Did you tease it out and glue the fibres down? Or did you lay the liner as a sheet?

If its teased out fibres glued down, whats underneath it?

How did you colour the liner/fibres? Paint or fabric dye?

Rich

No problem, Rich. Yes it is hanging basket liner. It was just placed on slopes and then given several goings over with a comb and beard trimmer. The bits of it are still all over the place and are resisting the Dyson - be warned! Most of it was bought years ago now, blimey 5 if not more, and needed no colouring. The last lot I bought of the same brand, Guardsman rings a bell, was a lot paler in colour, not very green so I resorted to painting it, dying it, whatever. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26456-marlingford-begbrooke-southbound-freight-and-a-new-name/?p=2158644 and the following few posts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My latest coach builds.

A C32 "Multibar" Toplight 3rd

p2971334007-5.jpg

and a D45 "Bars I" Toplight Brake 3rd

p2971333999-5.jpg

(I am a bit confused with the diagrams of some of the coaches based on Russell, especially those that were used for Ambulance trains.)

My painting and lining is still not great but slowly improving with practise. The C32 was done by 3d hubs as before, the D45 was a sample I got done by Photocentric a UK manufacturer of printers to see what their HR2 printer could produce.

• Like 12

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Back in the autumn, as detailed in my 3d printing topic, I bought my own resin 3d printer. I'm finally getting around to finishing the models I've made with it. Most of the below are some of the earlier prints I did with it.

D56 Brake Third:

p3478399693-5.jpg

This was one of the fist prints I did with the machine whilst testing out resins, it's not perfect, nor is my finishing either!

D52 Brake Third:

p3478399707-5.jpg

E98 Composite:

p3478399728-5.jpg

C25 Non-Corridor Third:

p3478399746-5.jpg

This is one of the most recent prints. This diagram being a clerestory body but with an arced roof. My intent is to put this coach in to a rake to add to the Hornby non-corridor ones. There are some niggles with the above in addition to my painting and lining, the fit of the underframe to the body.

I've a large backlog of other efforst to finish. Nonetheless I ought to tidy the layout and run some trains...

All the best

Jon

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

A couple more recently finished home printed coaches. Both are brake composites, filling a gap in the RTR provision. Whilst my painting and lining is very slowly improving its doesn't bear close scrutiny:(

An E83, originally a tri-composite brake compo

p3542118790-5.jpg

and a E94:

p3542118728-5.jpg

A couple of other coaches are neary there - infuriating how taking a picture shows problems! There are also a couple of other brake compos in the pile of semi-finished models.

All the best

Jon

• Like 9

A couple more, further variety not catered for by RTR

A K22 full brake

p3550372879-5.jpg

With all the toplights the body proved a bit vulnerable with my rough handling, one crack being pretty obvious still

A way down the to-do list is to add grills to the luggage doors of this and the other brakes.

My first go at a clerestory, a C23 non-corridor all third.

p3550372858-5.jpg

The commode handles were a different design I got printed due to issues with Shapeways checkiung and are noticeably more chunky. I've since managed to tweak the original design to get past their checking again.

I also had a go at showing some of the panelling being boarded over. Just need to weather this now to show a coach on its last legs. It should nicely break up the Hornby suburban set creating a 5 coach set.

All the best

Jon

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Have you had any further thoughts of making these available? You certainly seem to have got over many of the hurdles.

The printer broke, PSU went bang, in April and I haven't got around to fixing it yet:sad_mini2: So I need to get over that hurdle first. Also actually building some has shown some minor tweaks to the designs needed but achievable. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 7 months later...

After a long gap, a train...

spacer.png

Not what you were expecting?! Probably the only time a photo of a diesel will appear here. Well, unless I succomb to a Dapol railcar:smile_mini2:

In hindsight I should have got something more appropriate ie western, a Warship maybe. But, whereas before the 56xx I used to shove the CMX around really struggled the 37 shifts it no problem. Running this around has revealed a few niggles in the up fiddle yard, which I had forgotten about whilst doing my coach building.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1