Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes Jamie. Airfix Spitfire building with the grandsons. A joyous occasion! For me it was during a wet afternoon in a caravan in North Wales. I bought the British fighter combi set in the model shop in PorthMadog and we set about them when we got back to the caravan. Oh happy days.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got back this afternoon from my lining lesson. Some success was achieved and I learned a lot about using both bow pens and a lining pen. I even managed to do one side and the rear of the tender tank.  The other side will need some work and I might even strip it and repaint. All in all a very good morning.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

After some thought and examination of the tender, I decided not to strip the whole tender as the one good side and the rear look quite nice to my eyes.   Last night I escaped to the shed and rubbed the offending side down with wet and dry after soaking the transfers in cleaning alcohol.   I believe that it is the French equivalent of Meths.   

This evening I masked it up and sprayed it with red oxide primer.

P9081013.JPG.eaa59304f242a77b7c0331f5a8ac14e7.JPG

I was quite pleased with it.   Despite the cooler autumn weather it was still well over 20 degrees in the shed so I was quite quickly able to give it a coat of Rover Damask red.

P9081014.JPG.766803659eafc7eaa144052d4fcb17f6.JPG

I'll be able to redo the beading tomorrow so should be able to get the lining done and the transfers done again soon.

Here's the other side that I lined last Thursday under Richard's expert instruction.

P9081015.JPG.f10ec21cdd22279fbf4892ae9f99424f.JPG

It needs a little attention with a cocktail stick to tidy it up in a couple of places but I am very happy with that.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Not too bad Jamie. You should be able to clean that up a treat. I find a matchstick is better than a cocktail stick for cleaning up to a line. Mainly because it's square.

Regards Lez. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Lezz. I got it cleaned up and the black repainted yesterday. The household  stock of cocktail sticks proved worse than useless. I eventually used a small screwdriver used gently and it worked a treat. Supplies of thinners for pen cleaning were delivered yesterday. I then got the black repainted so might have a go at some lining later today or sometime tomorrow. 

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite a lot has happened  today.  I had a go with the lining pen this after with some success.  I now need to make myself some plasticard guides for various curves such as splashers, cabs and tender frames.  The other thing was a rather amazing find on the rue-d-etropal site.  Simon does 3D prints for the LMH electrics, Midland version.  After consultation with the boss, a trailer car body, which is complete with roof, has been ordered to arrive in time for my birthday.  I'm not happy  with my plasticard trailers so will see how it turns out.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well a parcel arrived from the Netherlands today with something in it, white and plasticky.   On opening up the box this emerged.

P9180101.JPG.60661590e1c618461023199821306820.JPG

On first inspection it looks OK though I haven't measured it yet.

P9180102.JPG.26d3accc77b5514c5ca618476e1e8f69.JPG

The cab certainly looks OK , this is the underside.

P9180103.JPG.a772f9d46cf42cdd5a65ec87f6d0ea19.JPG

Hopefully later today I will get the chance to put it alongside one of my trailer bodies to compare it.   The surface finish is a little rough but not as bad as I feared.   It will be interesting putting the simulated chicken wire on the roof.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bill.  Unfortunately that's how the model comes. However it wouldn't be difficult to remove the vents and put some metal ones on.   It would also give me the chance to fit some netting to represent the chicken wire that covered the roofs as an earth strip.

I've been over to the shed and got out the other three coach bodies from the 2nd unit and have had chance to photograph them alongside the print.

Here's it sandwiched between the two trailer cars.  You'll see how these have distorted.  Dimensionally the cabs are identical with the profiles correct.  There is a couple of millimetres difference in length but I haven't had chance to check them against the drawing yet.

Here's the same three trailers cares along with the motor car that will become the Siemens equipped car with bow collectors.

P9180104.JPG.372f99acaa11e65c206dc59d71469c0b.JPG

That has also distorted in several areas so I may well end up buying another trailer car print and one motor car.

P9180105.JPG.c6d3a47238a7ff453441b63637d82959.JPG

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow, that's some distortion there!

One way of strengthening these sorts of opens is to run a strip at right angles to the top edge of the body. This also gives something for the roof to sit down onto.

But I think I would be tempted to try David Jenkinson's 'inner box' method for 0 gauge, I tried it for 4mm, but it was just a bit to bulky for my taste. So I modified it slightly so that you get a stronger bodyside, with a flat back. My method is buried somewhere in my carriage bodging thread..

Oh an a softer solvent!

Andy G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.   I have had quite a but of success with the Jenky method with some clerestories that are awaiting lining, however the very open appearance of the saloons on the trailer cars meant that I couldn't use that method which is why I'm where I'm at.  Thanks again.

Jamie

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 20:47, jamie92208 said:

Thanks Andy.   I have had quite a but of success with the Jenky method with some clerestories that are awaiting lining, however the very open appearance of the saloons on the trailer cars meant that I couldn't use that method which is why I'm where I'm at.  Thanks again.

Jamie

I'm surprised you didn't get them etched Jamie! Those overheads and parts for the greyhound bridge turned out superb!

Jon F

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking of that John. I could certainly do it. However I found this by accident and have been very pleased with it. It's certainly better than the plasticard ones. I actually started these before I learned to produce etches.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had some thoughts today that it was time that I did a little bit of scenic work on the layout.  One area that has been bothering me is the coal yard where there is a lot of dirt surface and a host of mock ups of buildings.   The area that I am thinking about is the area near the Yates brewery store at the front and centre of the layout. The former school that became the brewery store is on the lower right of the photo.  There appears to be fenced yard which would be u sed by brewery drays and for storing barrels. It also had a gate leading into the coal yard for loading wagons.  There appears to be a small shed in the middle of the yard.  

799850295_BreweryYard.jpg.40866cd7facebdbbd3a6c8eefb3a5589.jpg

The area has had to be adjusted to fit the layout and the yard isn't as deep as it should be.   This leaves me with a space about 450 mm by 130mm and the need for some gates.  Here's

an extract from the railway 2 chain plan of 1910

1627558935_CoalYardPlan2.jpg.e7572144ca475d6a6fce87777294a2f2.jpg

And here is what it looks like at the moment.

P9220120.JPG.9bf9db5af4aeaa8e7ad85cb35796db26.JPG

Somewhere I have a set of Poppy's fencing of the correct type.  I drew a plan and worked out what I wanted then spent 45 minutes looking for the fencing with no joy.

The time was not wasted however as I found 3 sets of inside valve gear from Shedmaster/Laurie Griffin and 2 complete sheets of HMRS Midland Loco transfers.   Midland Railway along with a box of motors and gearboxes.   Not a bad result.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies to followers of this thread that there hasn't been much to report recently.  The day after the last post we discovered that Beth had a broken ankle and she is now well plastered and confined to various wheelchairs that allow her to access different parts of the house.  Thus I haven't had much time to get to the shed.   However for the last few days our daughter and her wife plus our only grandchild have been staying with us.    Little Emily Lancaster obviously needed to be introduced to the hobby.   She was captivated by the moving trains.

PA140156.JPG.dc4476b21093fc3b08356cdd0f13067c.JPGMy daughter Rachel is on the left.   Obviously such an important visitor with the surname of Lancaster had to see the layout.

PA140160.JPG.ff2a1874cc1c54768c9ea6ca5b34a380.JPGAs you can see I am trying very hard to be a grumpy grandad but don't think I'm quite succeeding.  

I am now instructed by Laura that I have to build a train set for her and Emily to play with as she had a deprived childhood with no train set to play with.  Rachel of course cannot say that.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The last time I broke something Jamie I was well plastered beforehand. I'm afraid from the last post that your membership of the grumpy old man Society is under severe threat. Well done on the catch 'em young stakes though.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all from La Belle France. As some of you may know I have been in the UK for a few days seeing members of the family. However I did manage a day out to meet some RMWeb members in London.   Bill Bishop had instructed me to take a rucksack.  I was rather bowled over when He presented me with 7 wagons and a kit for an 8th.   These are on long term loan to Green Ayre.  All in all a very generous gesture for which I am very grateful. he next day I went down to the clubroom and put the wagons on the test track.   Here they are.

PB290249.JPG.d61b4fdb89bb686dc154e7cd75bb19df.JPG

They are all Furness Wagon kits and some of them need finishing off and lettering.   From left to right they are as follows:-

2 North Eastern Tarrif Vans for me to letter

2 Midland Vans

1 L & Y 3 plank wagon

2 Midland Bunker coal container wagons plus one still to build.

The Bunker coal wagons, which were used to take coal to the boats at Heysham will complement the other that I've got and I'll be able to have some full in a down train and empties for an up train.  The vans will go either in trains or in the goods yard.  Thanks Bill.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The Midland vans are also tariff vans I believe, D382, and appear to be numbered as such, although half-a-dozen torpedo ventilators could turn them into banana vans, D365.

For Lancaster, I'd have thought banana vans unlikely? But one stooping goods train per day each way over every route would include a tariff van for small consignments at goods rates.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But one stooping goods train per day each way over every route would include a tariff van for small consignments at goods rates.

Were they the special ones for limited clearance tunnels Stephen?

Dave

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Midland vans are also tariff vans I believe, D382, and appear to be numbered as such, although half-a-dozen torpedo ventilators could turn them into banana vans, D365.

For Lancaster, I'd have thought banana vans unlikely? But one stooping goods train per day each way over every route would include a tariff van for small consignments at goods rates.

Yup, they are MR Tariff Vans and provided for the road traffic.  (That identifies my LSWR pedigree!).  The NER ones are actually Perishable Vans.  Note that Marc now produces the bunker wagons as a 3D print, which minimises build time; cleaning out the axle boxes for the bearings and then fitting the wheels is a bit scary but nothing went "snap".  The L&Y wagon was an absolute sod to build and I'm still not sure how I got it all square.  The vans were an enjoyable build.  There are still another half dozen wagons to build, in fact as I type there are two NER opens on the bench. 

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But one stopping goods train per day each way over every route would include a tariff van for small consignments at goods rates.

I should add the caveat that, in addition to my inability to type accurately late in the evening, this statement represents my current understanding of how tariff vans and tariff brake vans were used but is not verified in the case of the Midland. Once the Midland Railway Study Centre's website search facility is back up and running, I'll have a hunt - there might be some mention in the Superintendent of the Line's notices, some of which have been digitised. @bbishop, most of what I know about this traffic does come from LSWR and S&DJR sources, though I think it is also well-established that the Great Western had a system of Road Vans, though not specific vehicles for the purpose.

I wonder if the use of cupboard doors rather than the usual Midland goods van sliding door has to do with ease and speed of access at wayside stations. My understanding (again based on accounts of LSWR / S&DJR practice) is that this traffic would be handled at the passenger platform. This has implications for the operation of our model railways: a stopping goods train with a tariff van will come to a stand at the passenger platform and then detach wagon-load traffic and shunt into the goods yard - the timetable providing enough time for this, with the rest of the train occupying the running line under the protection of the guard's brake. That's my inference - any direct evidence would be very interesting.

Edited by Compound2632
Can't type accurately in the morning, either.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1