Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

this one was my first/last landing on the Ark watch f4 002. :help:

My Dad served on the Ark during the 60's......not certain exactly when without checking. He also served on the Albion, Bulwark and two others I can't remember.

I dont remember him talking about the F4's, so maybe that was after his time. I know he served with the first Carrier based Buccaneer Squadron. There was another jet as well but my memory is terrible..........Sea Fire's and Fury's (correct?) were the main stay when he first went to sea.

Thank you for that L-C-H (probably Attacker, Scimitar or Sea Vixen - good from a retired crab eh?) . We laid more track in the fiddle yard last pm, Jamie completed another point, so, we just have a couple of points to go then joinup the dots, as it were. You may get an impression of the scale of the fiddle yard from the previous small video - the link is repeated here:-

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hurrah the image problem seems to have been solved. here is the promised photo of the Fiddle Yard taken just before Christmas. Since then we've managed to finish two more sidings and several points.

PC208294.JPG.047a6fbc425c67e00e64ba1e54557f7f.JPG

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

Hurrah the image problem seems to have been solved. here is the promised photo of the Fiddle Yard taken just vefore Christmas. Since then we;ve managed to finish two more sidings and seveal points.

post-6824-0-02498100-1325593512_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

EERRRRR Jamie you could have shown a picture with all the wheels of the coaches on the track

• Like 1

7 Jan 12. Good morning everyone. Jamie, I finished one and a half sidings last night, those to the Eagle Rock side. It is starting to look like we have more than enough track. I have Mike's xuron cutters in my toolbox - was a little late leaving. Tony was in full agreement with you about the redesign of the two tracks and point at the Earlsheaton end, "we" managed to blacken up his lovely soldering iron - but he has a special tinning product in a tiny container - so "we" were thwarted; he has taken his shim and I have the books. JP was very interested in the Midland loco books, commented how quiet it seemed to be!! So, the redesign AND the isolation pattern for the loop are now needed to crack on.

• RMweb Premium

Well a red letter day today. We had another good evening tracklaying in the fiddle yard and I realised that the crossing vee at the end of the light engine loop was the last one that I will need to make for the layout. That's a total of 49 pints and 2 diamond crossings. There are still 2 roads to finish in the up yard and various finishing off jobs on some of the points, such as check rails, blades and tie bars but the end of tracklaying is in sight. I better hurry up and get the control panels sorted so that we can start wiring the layout. Then progress will really slow down when w2e can start to play trains.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

Well a red letter day today. We had another good eveneing tracklaying in the fiddle yard and I realised that the crossing vee at the end of the light engine loop was the last one that I will need to make for the layout. That's a total of 49 pints and 2 diamond crossings.

Jamie

I hope you managed to keep the gauge consistent after that lot :lol:

Well a red letter day today. We had another good eveneing tracklaying in the fiddle yard and I realised that the crossing vee at the end of the light engine loop was the last one that I will need to make for the layout. That's a total of 49 pints and 2 diamond crossings. There are still 2 roads to finish in the up yard and various finishing off jobs on some of the points, such aas check rails, blades and tie bars but the end of tracklaying is in sight. I better hurry up and get the control panels sorted so that we can start wiring the layout. Then progress will really slow down when w2e can start to play trains.

Jamie

Didn't you say we had to rebuild the points near the platform?

these pics were taken at the club last evening (Firday 13th Jan 12) showing Jamies last frog being fabricated:-post-13806-0-50339200-1326539581_thumb.jpgpost-13806-0-08861900-1326539617_thumb.jpgpost-13806-0-82190600-1326539650_thumb.jpgpost-13806-0-72573300-1326539723_thumb.jpgpost-13806-0-93322600-1326539763_thumb.jpg

I uploaded these pics, after correctly orientating them, and they arrived sideways, with the big lad balancing on his elbow!!

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2012 at 12:58, Xerces Fobe2 said:

Jamie you are obviously a well-balanced modeller. :lol:

XF

It comes with having to adjust to a daughter in Oz whose the other way up.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another good evening at the club and we finally finished laying track in the fiddle yard. The last two sidings nearly used up the last few pieces of recovered track from Long Preston, Marthwaite/Kendal Castle and Dixon Green that the layout has been built with. These last two were built from a succession of pieces btween 6 and 15 inches long, each section having brass screws under the rails as droppers.

Anyway Uncle T (Alias supersonic of this forum) soldered the last two droppers into place

P1208332.JPG.4552b7de2d825b2b5a14009282a49d41.JPG

We then adjourned for tea before clearing the boards and the final result looked like this.

1847411271_FiddleYard.jpg.ded64d117e46552fe6f0e9a6b5790c3a.jpg

I couldn't resist putting what stock we had on the tracks and here is my little half cab in the light engine run round loop.

P1208336.JPG.62ec278b2a01bcfaf76b5ef52b481a2e.JPG

There are another couple of evenings work to gap all the points and fit tie bars as well as a few other small jobs then we have virtually finished the tracklaying. The wiring awaits.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

I like your layout. Do the electrics just run on standard 2 rail electrical pickup or doe they make use of your nicelt fitted conductor rail?

Hello supersonic / all,

not to sure if this is in the correct thread as Lancaster Green Ayre was overhead line equipment and not fitted with conductor rails

Have you any photos of the E.M.Us. that you are going to run on the layout?

The build is coming along nicely, traveled along this line once in the 60s IIRC it was a very busy line but Morcambe was popular at that time.

OzzyO..

• RMweb Premium

Hi OzzyO. The EMU's will be the original Midland ones from 1907. I'll try and find a photo that I can post that isn't copyright. They are 3 car sets witha 60' motor car with 2 45' trailers.

Cheers

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

are they the ones that were known as Orlican (not to sure about the spelling) stock? Or am I getting mixed up with something else.

OzzyO

PS. where are you based? Going to have to let our exhibition manger know about this layout.

PPS, you could PM me a copy of any photo, that should not breach copyright.

Edited by ozzyo

Hi OzzyO. The EMU's will be the original Midland ones from 1907. I'll try and find a photo that I can post that isn't copyright. They are 3 car sets witha 60' motor car with 2 45' trailers.

Cheers

Jamie

Has copyright not expired by now Jamie? Any photos must surely have been a long time ago.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2012 at 13:04, Ohmisterporter said:

Has copyright not expired by now Jamie? Any photos must surely have been a long time ago.

I'm not sure but don't want to cross the line. I can recognise most of the photos as original Midland railway ones now in the Derby Collection at the NRM. The others are with the Cumbrian railway Association and such bodies as the Kidderminster Railway Museum. All these organisations claim copyright. Most of the photos that exist date from the early days of the system so must be over 100 years old. as far as I know copyright lasts for 70 years from the death of the photographer but I'm not sure about such things as postcards and photos owned by the national collection. I will take advice.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208