Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2021 at 20:42, steve4rosegrove said:

I note that the brickwork recognises the internal wall but I wonder if 9' walls rather than 41/2" would have been used?  i.e. English or Flemish bond i.l.o. stretcher / garden wall bond?  Super research and photo interpretation by the way.
Steve

Thanks very much for that.  It would make sense for the walls to be 9" thick as they wouldn't be a cavity wall so a double thickness one would make sense.  The photo with the bus in it show capping blocks that overlap the edge of the brickwork.  I suspect that those would be about 1' wide.   I'll have to make the internal wall single skinned and make some sort of roof with glass in it over the ladies.  

On another tack completely a picture came up on Facebook on a site to do with the Waverley route.

1903664403_Luggagecontainer.jpg.4945216e9fba4d6725f76c3f5bfa05fc.jpg

The group members don't know what it is. It's on a farm near the Waverly route.  To my eyes it's obviously built for being slung from a crane and looks to have a secure end door.  The iron straps and bump stops look very like the ones on the Heysham bunker coal boxes.  My guess is that this is a luggage container like the ones that the Midland used for the Heysham to Belfast service.  I plan to use this as a basis for the four luggage containers that I need to go on my open carriage truck.   Any comments would be much appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2021 at 08:59, Dave Hunt said:

Although I couldn't be sure, Jamie, I like your thinking.

Dave

It looks to have an external iron frame with everything bolted to the ironwork. This would leaveva smooth internal surface that wouldn't damage expensive luggage. I'll have a think about how to fabricate 4 of them. Possibly an etched fold up framewkrk that could have wiid lining applied.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I started doing a drawing for the luggage container last night and did a bit more today. I measured the interior space of the carriage truck and that gave me the overall dimensions of the containers so that 4 just fill the space.  My plan is to make a fold up etch for the floor sides and ends then use some scribed thin ply for the carcass.  I did wonder about resin casting but if I need to do artwork for one, I might as well get 4 sets of etches.  If I get things right I might be able to get the truck plus 4 containers on 1 sheet.

I've also ordered some plasticard brick sheets for the toilet block.  English bond for the outer walls and plain brick for the visible inner ones.  Those will hopefully be brought over by some friends next week.

For some relaxation I started a Furness Wagon Co Heysham bunker coal wagon. I've had the kit a wnile and it's now coming on.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the typos, you inhaled more paint than you sprayed!!

Mind you, I am Guiltier than most when it comes to typos.

4 attempts at this, and the smell chucker has gone out the window

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

4 attempts at this, and the smell chucker has gone out the window

There’s an idea for either a dystopian or humorous science fiction story: world brought down by an erroneous autocorrection in an urgent message…

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Regularity said:

There’s an idea for either a dystopian or humorous science fiction story: world brought down by an erroneous autocorrection in an urgent message…

My other half has been known to question whether the world has ended already and we just didn't get the email.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

one you know well but since its local

Yes it's a good video. I know it well and have a PO wagon lettered for Claughton Manor Brickwrks that I got from David Jenkinson. There used to be two parallel ropeways but thevother closed in the 60's.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some progress on two fronts.  A friend has offerred to try to do a 3D print of the luggage containers.  Emails will be despatched in the morning.

Also I got on with the Bunker coal wagon.  Here it us awaiting paint.

20210715_194445.jpg.c074f0628a0661f1fdb9df1cddf7e9bb.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Like it! It looks very good Jamie.

Regards lez.

They were a special build for taking bunker coal from Yorkshire for the ships at Heysham.  I've ended up with 5 of them and plan to have some fulls on a down freight and empties on an up freight. After the ships went to oil, they ended up carrying limestone from Derbyshire.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 21:48, sir douglas said:

one you know well but since its local

I thought it was now the only working gravity ropeway in the world.  I went under it just this morning (twice) as I went up to Hornby and back and it was working.  There was a second one further down towards Caton, and a second set of buildings, and also a protective bridge - all now gone, of course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 45156 said:

I thought it was now the only working gravity ropeway in the world.  I went under it just this morning (twice) as I went up to Hornby and back and it was working.  There was a second one further down towards Caton, and a second set of buildings, and also a protective bridge - all now gone, of course.

When I was a callow youth in the early 60's on the Pennine bus to Lancaster, both ropeways were working. On the maps, both brickworks had their own connection to the railway. I believe that there is still evidence of the 2nd ropeway and that the modern brick kiln is on the site of the brickworks that it served.

Jamie.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looks like really good progress Jamie. Keep it going!   

You need a customer for those urinals!  In fact I think a few little people around the layout may really bring it to life.

Does the 2-4-0 still have its headless driver?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Shez said:

Looks like really good progress Jamie. Keep it going!   

You need a customer for those urinals!  In fact I think a few little people around the layout may really bring it to life.

Does the 2-4-0 still have its headless driver?

Yes there will be a customer. Fortunately  the cubicles will be roofed.  I was told that someone does a cast urinal with customer but haven't had any luck looking on line.  Yes the layout does need people and I have quite a few in stock but have never had any luck at painting figures.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a lot of figure painting tutorials on YouTube Jamie. Whilst mainly of military figures the same principles apply to railway modelling.

Regards Lez.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• jamie92208 changed the title to Lancaster Green Ayre - New residents move in.
  • RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from a rather warm Charente,   A rather surprising discovery was made yesterday.  In the afternoon I was moving some stuff with a friend and we saw Black Redstarts flying above the layout and chirping coming from underneath at the west end.   No trace of trapped fledglings could be found but later on my good lady made a discovery. Underneath board C1 part of a nest could be seen.  This board has a void in it as part of making the river bed.  

P7281232.JPG.f60db0121507b5336299338ae9fc4194.JPG

Above the nest is the removable viaduct that forms part of the Castle Branch.  This handhole was cut to allow a power lead to be connected to the viaduct.  The nest is actually inside the void and can't be photographed. I will obviously not be running trains or disturbing the parents,

This is the view of the same area from above.

P7281233.JPG.b616bc3dcd899be48b3506d405cc0992.JPG

The nest is about under the overhead pole on the viaduct.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

There are places where low flying is banned during the nesting season, Jamie, but this is surely the first time that rail services have been disrupted for that reason?

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

You will all no doubt be pleased to know that the Redstarts appear to have successfully fledged their brood.  Only one has had to be given assistance to get out of the shed and when I was in there this afternoon there were no adults flying around.  It appears that services may now resume.

I have not been idle though.  Another wagon is ow ready for painting.  I have finished the construction of another bunker coal wagon.  One pf the batch on long term loan from @Bill Bishop.  I took the opportunity to photograph my collection of such wagons.

P8011235.JPG.3575372028d03893544bd008a0f948e8.JPG

Typically the gremlin of a wheel off the track struck.  It's also interesting how the kit has developed over the years.  The two nearest the camera are all white metal. The rear left is a resin cast body with white metal containers and the rear right is a complete 3D print with just etched brake gear added.

The front right was bought from Arthur Whitehead. Front left was the one I bought first. rear left was bought part built on a GOG Bring and Buy stall and rear right is Bills. 

I now need to get them all in the same livery which will be the front left.  I think that I may have another lurking somewhere on the shelf of shame.  They will be in the up and down Heysham goods trains.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

Really pleased to hear about the black redstarts. I know they are relatively common in mainland Europe but in the UK they are one of the rarest breeding bird species. We have a few pairs each summer in Manchester city centre; here's a female I photographed last year during lockdown.

BlackRedstart

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good evening from a former colliery site in West Yorkshire.

I may be having to isolate but modelling has not stopped totally.   I brought a couple of coach kits with me and in between grandparenting duties have actually managed a bit of time, working on a table in the back garden. Firstly though I went to the Wakefield Club last Monday and Chris Mead had bought the luggage containers that he's printed for me.  They are superb.

P8151300.JPG.bc2c5b4e9bc8ddf1326137f1e0abead3.JPG

I just need to build the wagon now.  

The coach kits are two from a  batch of 4 that I bought some time ago. No soldering equipP8151301.JPG.ede13720a257f21a5500194832626513.JPG

Two underframes well on the way, 3 sides made and now work is being done on partitions and seats.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3