Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Sorry no pictures today but progress is continuing.   We are carrying on trying to get the fences and walls completed on boards A3 and A4 (The station approach and coal yard at the front of the layout.)   This has been greatly helped by an article in the O Gauge Gazette about making stone walls with DAS. We have about 20' of walling along the front of the layout to do.  The way it is being done is surprisingly simple.   We took a slice of Styrofoam (blue) the height of the wall and 4" long and then gently dabbed a 15w soldering iron into it to create dimples.   DAS was rolled out and glued to the plywood core of the wall which is already in situ. Then the foam block was pressed into the DAS.  It created an instant stretch of random stone wall.  A second block behind the wall is necessary to produce the pressure.  By accident we found that pressing a second time with the block in a slightly different position produced an even better effect.   This was repeated on both sides and then the top was hand carved to represent the cap stones.   Dave did the first 10" stretch in a few minutes on Monday and I managed about 2' in four sections in about 40 minutes last night. 

We also have progressed with the fencing on the station approach and Tony only has one short section of sleeper built fence to plant.   I have planted a stretch of Slaters Diagonal fencing that goes round several curves and we got that painted last night.   As the Troutons crew weren't there last night we put up another board so that we could match some platform paving across the joint and John Patrick paved a good area of platform.  All steady progress and I'll try and remember my camera on Friday.

All this is working towards our club open day which is Sunday 7th June from 10am to 4pm.   The plan for Green Ayre is to set up several boards surrounding the station and be working on scenery using various techniques, but with a it of stock in place.   If you are near Wakefield come and see us.  Other layout will be operating, the scenic part of Troutons will be on display and work will be in progress on several new layouts.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I actually managed to get some modelling done this afternoon.   One of the things that we have had on the 'to do' agenda for some time is the fence along the river wall.  This was formed from 3" angle iron stanchions with 4 wires strung along.   Each stanchion was secured to the outside face of the wall (overhanging the river) by two bolts.   Altogether there is about 20' of fencing to do.

I measured one remaining stanchion and though I had got plenty of spare lengths of angles I didn't fancy trying to drill 6 holes in each stanchion, accurately and without breaking lots of 0.5mm drill bits.  I therefore decided to get them etched along with some other parts.   The etch arrived last week from PPD, very quickly.  The idea was to secure each stanchion to the wooden sea wall blocks with lacemakers pins.

Tony Bond made a helpful suggestion, that I use a block of balsa and put the pins in them solder the heads before cutting the ends off to about 6mm.   This made sense so I bent up the first batch and batch soldered them.  After looking at some of the sea wall sections last night I realised that I had several base board joints so decided to put two stanchions back to back at each joint with an angled support to make a straining post.  This meant folding two of them the opposite way.

Here's the block with all the stanchions in place.

150521-1.jpg.47d6e252c6e5ed6f8e9e1d1158199b06.jpg

I then used a removable piece of seawall that bridges some tricky baseboard joints as a test piece.   The result is this.

150521-2.jpg.45f18bc938d9136aa8bda3a3f4438c00.jpg

I now have to find my reel of thin copper wire and try threading it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Another morning and some more progress.   I tried my thing copper wire as handrails but it's too thick.  Fortunately I've got a few miles of the wire that I'm going to use for the Overhead so I tried that at 0.3mm it fitted through the etched holes a treat.  Slightly overscale, 1/2" bar rather than 1/8" wire in reality   but it is at least visible.  I threaded all four wires and soldered them as well as soldering up the straining posts and this is the result.  I'm rather pleased with it.  Now I just have to decide what colour to paint it.  As it's by a salty estuarial river rust seems a good bet.

150522-1.jpg.2125468a1385b6861c2e4e46018db2ba.jpg

To get a better photo I decided to use my longer zoom lens, retreat to the other side of the dining room and set it at a higher stop.   I'm gradually learning how to use some of the buttons on the new camera.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back from a good evening at the club.   Dave continued on the stone walling.

This is the tool that he's made from the Styrofoam.

post-6824-0-85653900-1432335073_thumb.jpg

This is the result though a poor photo a I forgot my camera and had to use a phone with a dying battery.

post-6824-0-68567500-1432335070_thumb.jpg

He finished the last 2' of wall off and though the colour is appalling it does look nice. 

post-6824-0-22712400-1432335060_thumb.jpg

Here's another shot that shows the coal yard area that will eventually contain several small buildings/huts and many coal drays, weighing scales and coal wagons.

post-6824-0-57110600-1432335064_thumb.jpg

I tried the pavement area in place in front of the station.   The fencing that Tony is doing shows up nicely but will look better when its painted.

IMG-20150529-00022.jpg.474ae9239fa975dc1d12439e1d945685.jpg

Mark finished off paving the platform near where the exit from the gents will be.  I got the fence planted round it and then got it painted.

IMG-20150808-00027.jpg.d0b454e643138d669172466f585044d5.jpg

It should look OK on the open day with a fresh un-sceniced board attached to it as a complete contrast.

Jamie

IMG-20150529-00021.jpg

IMG-20150529-00022.jpg

IMG-20150522-00013.jpg

IMG-20150522-00016.jpg

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

Another morning and some more progress.   I tried my thing copper wire as handrails but it's too thick.  Fortunately I've got a few miles of the wire that I'm going to use for the Overhead so I tried that at 0.3mm it fitted through the etched holes a treat.  Slightly overscale, 1/2" bar rather than 1/8" wire in reality   but it is at least visible.  I threaded all four wires and soldered them as well as soldering up the straining posts and this is the result.  I'm rather pleased with it.  Now I just have to decide what colour to paint it.  As it's by a salty estuarial river rust seems a good bet.

attachicon.gif150522-1.jpg

To get a better photo I decided to use my longer zoom lens, retreat to the other side of the dining room and set it at a higher stop.   I'm gradually learing how to use some of the buttons on the new camera.

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

one thing that you could try with the wire fencing is to pre tension the wire by pulling it between two sets of pliers to get the wire straight. Then put it in place and solder it at one end, add a small weight (say about 2oz.) at the other end and then solder the remaining uprights to the wire, this should then give you a straighter run of wire.

You could do something similar with the over head contact wire. On our layout with OHLE we use N/S/ wire over the baseboard joints that clip on the line masts and at the ends we use a tensioning springs to keep the OHL taut.

OzzyO. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments Ozzy, very much appreciated. It is only a test piece so I'll try your suggestions out on the next bits.

Anyway, progress has continued on several fronts. John Patrick and I did some more work on Monday and got various bits of platform surfaced. On Tuesday Tony came down with me and finished the fencing on the station approach, and gave it a first coat of paint.

150526-2.jpg.5f3cc903ee8dbdfda4eb4412d6c1b6c7.jpg

The unpainted parts in the coal yard are sleeper walls for diving the coal merchants cells up in the yard.

I installed some fencing at the end of the down platform.

150526-3.jpg.8d0dea92df66dde254e4e81a9e320bce.jpg

The rear wall section Is only fixed on a temporary basis at the moment.

Today two parcels arrived via Ebay, both brass and Midland shaped.

The first is this part built Alan Gibson 2P of which several were shedded at Lancaster.

150527-1.jpg.e4cc8d73d365f456c004611a4db3086e.jpg

This will become 448. The tender is wrong but plans are afoot to swap it to another purchase in due course.

The other is a Gibson 4F. None of these were shedded at Lancaster but this one will be a visitor from Toton, no 3877 which was my old Police collar number.

150527-2.jpg.b097ed88be667cda9e3cd7887694a349.jpg

The cab needs a little tlc but otherwise I'm very pleased with it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  Another evenings work and some progress.

I put the station board back up and Paul started work on the second half of the ash heap that's beside the coaling stage.  This straddles a baseboard joint and the first part has been done for some time but now some more blue foam has been carved and the rest is in place.  It just needs covering in ash now and a fellow with an ash barrow to be put in place.   I also planted the horse dock canopy that Mark has made and put the Furness horse box in it.

post-6824-0-38989400-1432937521_thumb.jpg

I couldn't get the flash on the phone to work but you can see the horsebox.  I've now got to spend some time looking at photo to se what the surface on the horse dock was made of and do some detailing such as buffers etc on the siding ends.

I was then able to trim the pavement that fits in front of the station to length and it all fits into place.  This meant that I was able to place the station buildings and see what they look like. 

post-6824-0-10994200-1432937524_thumb.jpg

Not the best of photos but hopefully I'll get a better one at the open day on the 7th.

Paul carried on with some platform paving and I finished the fencing on the Up platform.

post-6824-0-14124100-1432937526_thumb.jpg

I quite like the view across to the horse dock but must get the OLE gantry painted.

post-6824-0-35627100-1432937529_thumb.jpg

A good evenings work.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Strangers on the Line

Last night we had an 'All Your Own' evening at the club and Mark brought his NBR C16 down and I had wheeled the first North British 6 wheeler.  Thus Green Ayre got a visiting working from north of the border.

post-6824-0-02794100-1433230875_thumb.jpg

I also managed to get a rather better shot of the horse dock.

post-6824-0-41198000-1433230877_thumb.jpg

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jamie,

one thing that you could try with the wire fencing is to pre tension the wire by pulling it between two sets of pliers to get the wire straight. Then put it in place and solder it at one end, add a small weight (say about 2oz.) at the other end and then solder the remaining uprights to the wire, this should then give you a straighter run of wire.

You could do something similar with the over head contact wire. On our layout with OHLE we use N/S/ wire over the baseboard joints that clip on the line masts and at the ends we use a tensioning springs to keep the OHL taut.

OzzyO.

Another advantage of slightly stretching the wire is that it is made harder so is less likely to bend

Edited by dhjgreen

• RMweb Premium

6 boards have now been put up and tidied for the clubroom open day. The next pair that need scenic work have arrived at the club and this is the result.

150606-1.jpg.f80b8bc9c6977619006a28149f661377.jpg

150606-2.jpg

The contrast between the first coal yard board (A4) and the next one along (A5) is startling but we did manage to get the plywood installed last night so that we can get some DAS on them tomorrow. Come along and see us if you are in the area between 10am and 4pm.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

What a difference a day makes. On Friday board A5 was bare boards with unballasted track.

150606-2.jpg.3b6c86993303664eaf51aeb59dd93864.jpg

By 4pm today it was like this.

150607-3.jpg.1aa1ba3488cde8a024da5a9e37640ef8.jpg

We have had a great day with Tony modelling from his wheelchair, Sam (Sir Douglas) paving a large part of the up platform.

This was the end result with what he had done plus some finishing off from Mark.

150607-5.jpg.0411c249baa8a2ef9aaa054758d390ed.jpg

The day was warm and sunny so we were able to have the back door open and this was my workshop where the carpentry and foam swing was done.

150607-1.jpg.e70fd1a1c24795a4ec87d66893cd407a.jpg

I had taken a lot of stock with me and it was great to see the coal yard full of private owner wagons, all from Yorkshire collieries. Tony did a lot of painting of fences and the outer stone walls by dabbing it with his finger ends then giving it a wash of dirty turps.

150607-2.jpg.bf4bb553be16798eaaed3a3854545a0d.jpg

My first job was to cut some ply to make an edge to board A5 that will form the rear wall of the down platform which comes up to the edge of boards B5 and B6. This was cut, assembled then glued down.

150607-6.jpg.0521376545a54f9c88d589acf8fef6b7.jpg

As you can see we placed the unpainted and unfinished locos on the unsceniced board. The 2-4-0 hasn't been out of it's box since Long Preston was put away in 2010 and I'd forgotten that it has working inside valve gear. I must get it finished.

I also got the chance to sort out a very awkward corner at the west end of the station and put some walls in, made the ramp down to the ash pile and put some coping stones on the horse dock that will be tarmacked in due course.

150607-4.jpg.6e86776ba49553b0e02cd877009f2b1d.jpg

No 2P I'm afraid Jock the chassis is still on the building jig but it will appear in due course.

A great day was had by all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I keep thinking 'what...all day to ballast a board' but then I keep forgetting this is O gauge!!!

Thanks Ian I was sieving ash last night after the outlaws had departed. But the litre that we used would no doubt cover a lot of Banbury. We had a great day though with some very interested visitors.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just because I'm away on my jolly's things haven't ground to a halt.   I've brought a crate of modelling stuff with me, m wife realised it was in the car halfway to Bournemouth.  I thought I'd brought all the parts needed to build the bogies for the EMU's that got part built over a year ago.  I had however forgotten the sheet of etches that I need to complete each one. 

However progress is ongoing and 2 more bogies now have wheels fitted and I am continuing to add details.  They are fiendishly complicated but hopefully will look nice when finished.

Hopefully some pictures before the end of the week.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all from a sunny Bournemouth.

The modelling has continued this afternoon as SWMBO was tired after a bike ride this morning.

As I've mentioned these Slater's bogies are very complex which makes me wonder if anyone thought about how they would be made when they were designed.

They contain brass castings, brass etches, white metal castings, plastic mouldings and of course steel wheels.

The plastic brake shoes need to be secured to their hangers with a little bit of soldered wire, without melting the brake block. 

My 15w iron came in useful here.

150617-1.jpg.c4531800398f384ee1e762503243673b.jpg

Here all 8 blocks have been secured to a bogie frame together with the bolster and spring assembly which has four more small bits of wire securing it. The W/M frames have been hacked about to make sure that the wheels don't bind.

150617-2.jpg.67a7a3d5580406b100ae8c83e6a3ebc9.jpg

Then the bearings and their sliders have to be fitted.  I haven't got the little etches that the springs engage with here so they are just popped in for the moment.

150617-3.jpg.62c3a135d19921117c70b150ee735a13.jpg

Finally two bogies are on their wheels (temporarily and without springs and keepers)   They even run sweetly on the glass of the dressing table that I'm using.

150617-4.jpg.525cb44bb1bf7068b7be4ff9174dd28a.jpg

And behind the cutting mat are the remaining six frames that are still to be finished, together with some completed sub assemblies.

150617-5.jpg.0a7b714630dc3b1d45bf8a973b5c2b0c.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

PS due to carp internet where we are this post may appear with some photos missing.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We are only about 20 miles north of you. Grey skies and cold here.

Grey here but we did have sun earlier. However we've just had fun watching people throw themselves out of a perfectly serviceable Hercules that's still stooging around.

Jamie

• Like 2

Jaime,

Can I ask you how long it has taken to get this far?

I have been working on a pair for what seems like a lifetime and have another 9 sets to do.

I noticed you haven't followed the order of assembly given be Slaters in there instructions.

Any tips?

Regards

Barry

• RMweb Premium

Jaime,

Can I ask you how long it has taken to get this far?

I have been working on a pair for what seems like a lifetime and have another 9 sets to do.

I noticed you haven't followed the order of assembly given be Slaters in there instructions.

Any tips?

Regards

Barry

Hi Barry, I think I've been working on them for about 4 years on and off and have 5 sets to do in total. 1 set is nearly finished. and the other 4 are t the stages you can see on the photos.

As regards the order of assembly I have been thinking about that and it would be worthy of a thread of it's own. However you certainly need to get the bearings sliding nicely on the hornguides as soon as possible. If I was starting again I would do that as soon as I folded the hornguides. I would certainly experiment with attaching all the brake supports and the step supports that retain them as early as possible probably before assembling the bogie frames. I wish you every luck with yours. If you trawl back through the thread you will find that I got the 8 frames assembled when I was grounded with tendonitis. Since then I have procrastinated like mad. I am now on holiday for nearly 5 weeks and as I didn't want to get bored brought the bogies and the coach bodies that they go under as I want to get at least one EMU set running for November when the layout makes it'sdebut. However I realised when I got here that I've left one box of bits behind so have concentrated on doing what I can.

Cheers

Jamie

Good afternoon all from a sunny Bournemouth.

The modelling has continued this afternoon as SWMBO was tired after a bike ride this morning.

As I've mentioned these Slater's bogies are very complex which makes me wonder if anyone thought about how they would be made when they were designed.

They contain brass castings, brass etches, white metal castings, plastic mouldings and of course steel wheels.

The plastic brake shoes need to be secured to their hangers with a little bit of soldered wire, without melting the brake block. 

My 15w iron came in useful here.

attachicon.gif150617-1.jpg

Here all 8 blocks have been secured to a bogie frame together with the bolster and spring assembly which has four more small bits of wire securing it. The W/M frames have been hacked about to make sure that the wheels don't bind.

attachicon.gif150617-2.jpg

Then the bearings and their sliders have to be fitted.  I haven't got the little etches that the springs engage with here so they are just popped in for the moment.

attachicon.gif150617-3.jpg

Finally two bogies are on their wheels (temporarily and without springs and keepers)   They even run sweetly on the glass of the dressing table that I'm using.

attachicon.gif150617-4.jpg

And behind the cutting mat are the remaining six frames that are still to be finished, together with some completed sub assemblies.

attachicon.gif150617-5.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

PS due to carp internet where we are this post may appear with some photos missing.

Jeez, those bogies are definitely from the "why use 1 part when 3 will do" school of thought.... :jester:

JF

• 4 weeks later...

There are a couple of photos here http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LMSSteam/Fowler-LMS-Locomotives/Fowler-Tank-Engines/Fowler-3PA-tank-engines-400014/i-Zz25pRpthat might be of interest - one in the station of the platforms & buildings and one showing part of the bridge I think.  Enjoying this thread - I was around Lancaster 1971 - 75 and remember the shed plus some of the track, also driving past (1970?) before the station was sadly demolished.

Steve

• Like 2