PILOT ROAD

mason

Hi all i thought id re post my box file layout from the old forum, firstly id like to kick off with thanking everyone for there posts on the old forum and on pilot road, iv enjoyed everyones comments and advice so thank you all.

ok for those who dont know, pilot road is made form 3 box files, 2 for the scenic section and 1 for the fiddle yard and depicts a belfour beatty storage and service/repair yard.

i happened to glance at the boxs files, which where reduced to a mere ??1.97, so i got 2, flew home with excitment and started building, i decided to use the scalescene kit from the mag, 2 points, a few oddments of track and some trickery with a few images and some hole cutting in the box file ends, i few bottom supports and within a few hrs id got the basis of a small, industrial layout, measuring just 29" x 10" and easy to store.

nearly everything is scratch built on this layout, the freebie scalescenes building was bashed around and had a photographic interior, card inlaid track and toilet roll holders for the silos.

even the point controls were bashed together by using some wooden dowell, a pin and some cut in half biro pen outters.

ill try and let the photos tell the story and journey of pilot road and please ask questions and comments are always welcome

also Pilot Road is available for exhibitions and shows, having succesfully been on its first outing at corby MRS.

post-6696-12577139774588_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577140370591_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577140650947_thumb.jpg

post-6696-1257714089689_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577141300911_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577141389253_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577141458651_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577141702092_thumb.jpg

post-6696-1257714578265_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577145948049_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577146052252_thumb.jpg

post-6696-1257714631727_thumb.jpg

post-6696-12577146475391_thumb.jpg

hi all and thank you for all the great comments, its nice to see you all havent forgot about pilot road with the crossover from sites.

ok ill try and answer all i can...

firstly thank you jonntgt.....but i cant take credit for the 25, that was a visit from sandhills many fine locos when he came over to the corby show in october.

Buffalo...im glad the joins look hidden, iv added a pic below which will help to describe the way it was done, but basically i positioned a block of wood underneath the end of the scenic section and left it over hanging by about 10-15mm, this allows the card base of the fiddle yard board to slide tightly upto the scenic board and the track to suit, it isnt permantly fixed only the ? scenic sections are as one and the fiddle yard is seperate for ease of carrying, but at exhibitions i put 2 screws, 1 either side of the opening just to give it a little sturdiness. i hope that all makes sense? ? ? :D

post-6696-12578713788467_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12578713788467_thumb.jpg

thank you agentskj....i hope i do recieve more, i would really like to do a few more shows with this, i had so much fun at corby and was a little worried about the operation factor and if id get bored within a few hours but i found so many ways to move things around in a whole weekend.

thanks again ragtag...hopefully i can get some lighting fitted over the next few weeks, maybe a few small yard lights and i think a couple of point levers, but i want to mostly get mt stock a bit better and get a few more locos, i found that my 20 will run all day long, but i had 3 08's on it and they would not play ball at all, maybe its a power issue over the crossover im not sure, and eventually id like to have a play with dcc sound on it, but i fear that because of the confide space it might just annoy me to much?  :D. how are your projects going ragtag?????

thank you again

neil

post-6696-12578714666324_thumb.jpg

thanks jazman, its nice getting compliments.

well not much to update at the moment as another project is starting to come together, but i still want to tweek a few bits on pilot road, iv just got some new signage for the whole layout which looks pretty cool and frames it well, pics soon.

also i want to improve the signage on the belfour building, maybe bring it off the frontage to make it look like a real sign and some safety signs around the place, also i want to work on the lighting, i think maybe just 2 yard lights and maybe a building light above the unit entrance, who does small yard lights and building lights????

and i want to get hold of some point levers also, maybe get to spend some pennies at spalding

regards

neil

hi all, just a little update, which are getting kinda thin on the ground as i suspected when i started this project, there is only so much you can do in a box file and you start to run out of bits to detail and scenics are tight. iv basically gone over some of the things that where nagging at me from when they where done.

iv redone the belfour signage onto thick card so that it stands off the building and added a few more signs around the layout like highly flammable on the tank and warning signs on the buildings, iv also redone the front doors on the main building as originally they where printed on gloss paper and iv redone them on matt which has improved the colour.

the next step now is to get some nice lighting probably attached to the buildings as wall lights and also a ground frame lever for each point.

also did any ground frame levers have a light above them for night working in yards such as this????

hopefully some pics soon

thanks for reading and dont forget this is avaiable for shows now?  :P

regards

neil

Hi Neil

I saw this layout at the Corby show on the 11th oct (now my local show since the dreaded moving upheval)and was mightily impressed with what you had done in such a small space

I particulary like the inside of the shed picture as it gives some perspective of depth which some much bigger layouts fail to achieve

Dave

Hi Neil

I saw this layout at the Corby show on the 11th oct (now my local show since the dreaded moving upheval)and was mightily impressed with what you had done in such a small space

I particulary like the inside of the shed picture as it gives some perspective of depth which some much bigger layouts fail to achieve

Dave

hi and thank you dave, its really nice to get compliments like that and especially as it was my first ever exhibition for pilot road and for me with my own layout, really glad you came on and remembered pilot road from the show at corby.

im also glad that my building interior got a comment like that, i cant take all the credit as it was partially SWMBO'S idea and she had the final say on the image used? in the end ? :D i think thats the beauty of a small layout in that you can give it alot more character than a huge layout ( bound to get flack from that ) with just adding the little unique details that are more noticeable on a small scene

thanks again dave and hope to see you again next year?  :)

regards

neil

? hi tom, go for it, its simple to design because you have a restricted space and its a lot of fun too, i totally enjoyed building this and to be honest iv had a lot of fun running it too, just tryin to figure out where to move that loco or that wagon, and you can just pack it away on to a book shelf an it wont get damaged

thanks for the comments tom, there always welcome

regards

neil

thanks gary, the 04 is running pretty well, i have to admit though, i have attacked it with my weathering wand?  :lol: :lol:? but it still likes a good pose on the layout

looking forward to seeing some pics and a topic thread on your box files

hi all? 

i had a little play around with pilot road and couldnt resist a few pics, quality isnt great as i am not the best with the camera, i think im going to get more to grips with the photo side of things.

post-6696-12597777003238_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12597777046021_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12597787440786_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12597787501416_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12597787569197_thumb.jpgpost-6696-12597787630843_thumb.jpg

regards

neil

Great pics Neil, but how did you compose them. really like the way theyre condensed.

Tom

hi tom thanks for the comment, do you mean how did i get the pics together like they show??

:lol:? thats ok tom

its pretty simple really, when you add your pics to your post, make sure the attachment detail all adds next to each other instead of pressing enter each time

like this

attachment 1jpg1, attachment 2jpg2 attachment 3jpg3

they should all end up as they have above, hope that rambling helps tom

regards

neil

Thanks Neil, next time i update my layout ill give it a go. makes a change from scrolling through loads of pics.

Tom

yeah i know what you mean tom, to be honest it was pure accident, but im glad it looks good

look forward to seeing your updates

regards

neil

Archived