For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Module layout at SWAG members day

tim-minay

• RMweb Gold

DonB,

We found that the modules, being made of wood/ply (all except mine!) stayed pretty much static. The plan was to use cable ties, attached to hooks (simple cup hooks) on the ends of each module, under the 4" long bridges, once the modules were in place, to help keep them from moving apart.

This would still seem to me to be the easiest solution - it depends on whether anyone has any better ideas.

Jack,

I agree that 6" would give enough room for point motors such as Tortoise. However, again from expeience at the YMR show, none of the additional track on the modules was used during the exhibition - my preference (and I stress the 'my') would be that each module only has twin tracks running through, with no additional pointwork. This makes the construction simpler (2 yards of Peco Code 100, a bit more if the module is longer...) and the rest is pure scenery.

This might be a good time to get the O gauge module layout project up and running - you could bring them to the Taunton 2012 Meeting as well !

Stu

I agree that 6" would give enough room for point motors such as Tortoise. However, again from expeience at the YMR show, none of the additional track on the modules was used during the exhibition - my preference (and I stress the 'my') would be that each module only has twin tracks running through, with no additional pointwork. This makes the construction simpler (2 yards of Peco Code 100, a bit more if the module is longer...) and the rest is pure scenery.

Understandable, and i have seen a number of exhibtion layouts where goods yards arn't used because everyone is too busy racing trains around, but surely its better to set the standard so extra track work could be used if necessary? I would have thought it is better to allow for development at this stage, rather than have to modify things after people have started building modules. Just a thought ...

This might be a good time to get the O gauge module layout project up and running - you could bring them to the Taunton 2012 Meeting as well !

:unsure: Progress has been slow! However, plans are afoot. Plan A is for a meet in the summer at the main RMWeb shin dig. I have the boards sorted and a thread will be appearing shortly.

• RMweb Gold

Jack,

You are quite right, it is easier to set things out now before we start. But, other than the Tortoise motor, there is little reason to add the extra 2" to the height. If the experience of the YMR show is anything to go by, then a point that moves as quick as possible would be prefered to a nice protoypical slow one !

There are also (obviously) several modules around which are built to the 4" height, some of which have been already promised for the 2012 meeting.

It would be good to see an O gauge module project come to fruition - I can see lots of walking round with tape measures at Taunton in April and people claiming floor space for 2012 !

Cheers

Stu

As there are only 16 months until the show I thought I better make a start on my module :blink:

_DSC0102.jpg

Note the aid to model railway constrution near the far end

Not going to tell you where or what it is yet, but you can have a guess if you like :D

Tigger, may I suggest you have a short headshunt to the sidings rather than directly onto the main line, then you can have your own independent controller to play a little shunting game on your module whilst the main lines are running trains up and down through all the modules - between the two end fiddle yards, if the concept finalises similar to the YMR/Kernow modules set up. This will also allow you to use either a DC or DCC system on your bit, and if DCC, sound etc., with a changeover switch to the main lines power if you want to move something to/from the main line.....

These are purely my observations, to perhaps think about and probably discard - it also helps me to formulate my own module when looking at others...... ;) .

My thinking at present is having the two '00' code 100 main lines and 'independent' sidings to the rear in 'EM', a loco and a few trucks chuntering about.....

One of the YMR/Kernow modules had an underground train circulating within the modules 4" base height and I think there was something at a higher level too (Trams?), with the module main lines forming part of the race track from one end of all the modules to the other........

PS - Who's supplying the end fiddle yards?

• RMweb Gold

Sandy, I've been discussing with Mike (Tigger) via PM about his module and his offer to build one of the fiddle yards..., covering the very points you've raised.

So far, we have offers of modules from :

Sidecar Racer (Mike)

Penlan (Sandy)

Tigger (Mike)

Stubby (well, why not...)

Mozzer (Brian)

and probably Tim-Minay as it was all his idea in the first place.

Please feel free to start your own module thread in the sub-forum. Can you each indicate how long your intended module is likely to be, so as to prepare the good Captain for the space the project will need ?

And if any one else feels like joining in, please do.

Stu

Tigger, is the glass of wine some form of obscure water tower? tongue.gif

WATER !!! :O - Hopefully at least a 13% Oz Chardonney..:P

Presumably this will be on tap at the Swag 2012 dooooooooo.....

;) Thanks Penlan, some good ideas you gave there :D I like the head shunt idea so I can play on my own

Tigger, is the glass of wine some form of obscure water tower? tongue.gif

As to the "Water Tower" not quite prototypical :blink: but more fun.

WATER !!! :O - Hopefully at least a 13% Oz Chardonney..:P

Presumably this will be on tap at the Swag 2012 dooooooooo.....

I will arrange some "water tower" contents to be available at Swag 2012 for anyone who builds a module ;)

Bearing in mind 'Code 100' is an align concept to me, is this a specific manufacturers Code 100 for the Modules, like say Peco or Hornby etc.,

- I only ask as there's a load of Hornby track being sold off in a Penzance shop, and from it's appearance looks to be course enough for 'Code 100' :huh:

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody thought about designing in fixed Fremo style end pieces, so as to guarantee absolute accuracy when connecting it all together? Such end plates would also allow the individual boards to be connected together in various combinations (if required).

This is one of the 'standard' European Fremo profile end boards which were used for the Hölle 'expandable' layout and were supplied to all participants.

post-6728-0-30104800-1294992269_thumb.jpg

The holes are larger than the bolt size to allow for final alignment. These are actually laser cut, but that wouldn't be necessary for just a few for this project. Just one member to make them and distribute them to all. Your own profile (double track?)would of course be a matter of your own group design.

Just a thought.

John

• RMweb Gold

That end plate is a nice idea.:)

I've been wondering about joining in but my track record is poor (pun intended)! :rolleyes:

I assume that the modules are laid out on a string of normal tables - there's no mention of legs, height of board etc?

Also - is the actual length an issue - would a module over 4ft long be allowable as it's only the width / track position that's crucial? (I don't have anything actually in mind, but over 4ft length might allow some gentle curves incorporated).

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

Yes, the modules are laid on tables - the challenge of everyone making lags the same height is probably too great, plus finding a height all would agree on.....

So the module track is 4" off the table, nice and simple (if yopu wanted to add legs and fiddle yards to make your own module a standalone layout, you of course have that freedom too).

No, length is not really an issue - the module idea is that each one is just one unit, and 4ft seems to be a good limit for physically man-handling and transporting. But if you want to make a longer one, no probs - we'll just need to add up all the planned lengths for CK so he can allocate enough room (s !).

As for the Freemo end plates John, they are a great idea, and obviously work.

The benefit of the 4" bridges is that the end of each module doesn't have to be 1000% accurate, in any dimension (track distances, height from the table, etc) - the bridges resolve the imperfections, which can happen when the modules either cannot be pre-tested together or the builder is not confident in meeting the stricter connecting standards.

There is no reason why anyone, of any skill level, should feel intimidated by having to make a module to any perceived quaility of scenery or carpentry.

Cheers

Stu

....Yes, the modules are laid on tables ...... The benefit of the 4" bridges is that the end of each module doesn't have to be 1000% accurate, ....

And of course most tables in village halls etc., have an ali edging strip that stands proud of the table top a little bit :O

• RMweb Gold

And of course most tables in village halls etc., have an ali edging strip that stands proud of the table top a little bit :O

Good point well made!

How about using a styrofoam base - you could then just shave away any problem areas.... :P

.......(I don't have anything actually in mind, but over 4ft length might allow some gentle curves incorporated).

I did ask what the min. radius was in an earlier posting just for such an eventuality - some nice curves - bearing in mind that the modules at YMR/Kernow Show seemed to have trains thundering along from end to end ASAP, unlike those nice gently moving trains on the Dutch Fremo layout.

• RMweb Gold

We can look at the suitability of the tables this April (provided they don't change them before 2012...)

The Fremo modules were all open ended, so matching to the next one was less obvious.

The YMR / Kernow modules were all individual, with back & side scenes. By making ours in the same way, it means the builder can have anything they want as a scenic backdrop and it doesn't look odd along side the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been following this with interest, I'm just a little puzzled (it's probably an age-induced thing!) about the connecting 4"bridges.

You specify track ending 4" short of the each end of the module, then a 4" bridge. I assume then that the overall length of the connecting unit will be 12" ?? (2 x 4" plus a 4" gap to span), or have I mis-understood your intentions?

Apologies for intruding into Swagonia without a valid Visa!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

The track is to be at a height of 4" This is measured from the table the module rests on to the top edge of the rail.

On the modules, the tracks will be to the edge of the module at each end, and then 4" bridges fit between the modules.

Hope that makes more sense.

Plus, you're welcome in SWAG anytime!

Stu

Some practical advice from a module builder:

Instead of inventing yet another "standard" why don't you steal from the very best?

NMRA Module Standards

I will be in the UK in April and will probably come to the Taunton gathering if anybody wants to discuss module construction.

• RMweb Gold

Hi LSWR,

Thanks for the link to the NMRA module standards - they seem quite comprehensive !

However, what we are aiming at with this project is to continue to use the existing standards as used by the CRM group in Cheshire and the YMR group (worldwide, but with the first module layout displayed in Cornwall last year). This means that all the modules so built will be compatible together - the ideal scenario.

Where these standards differ from the NRMA are :

* in the need for legs (as different modellers have individual home set up requirements)

* the need for exact dimension control (as not all modellers can make baseboards to the same critical standards)

* complex connection criteria - so any module can link to any other

* complex wiring

What I'm hoping to do at this year's party is finalise all the necessary standards, so individuals can get involded knowing what they need to do, and decide the set up requirements for the organisers, so any practical advice on those aspects will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Stu

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok folks, this is the official launch of the

2012 SWAG Module Project (SWAGMOP !)

Standards for the modules can be found here

The Good Captain will need to know how big the project is going to be by October this year, so no firm commitment is necessary at the moment, but it would be nice to get a feel for how many potential modules we may have. Please can you indicate in this thread if you are hoping to take part - for those certain, please start a new thread in the Modules sub-forum.

Any questions ???

Stu ( & Mike (Tigger) & Mike (Sidecar Racer))

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi to everyone coming to the Captain's Party !

The module layout is going well, but we'll need stock to run.

If you'd like to bring something to trundle up and down, please remember :

• Code 100 track, 00 gauge DC only
  • Don't bring anything too delicate as there will be manhandling of stock involved
  • Mark anything you bring - if 10 BWTs turn up you need to know which is yours !
  • Full size Eurostars probably won't fit in the fiddle yard - a GWR tank & B-set is probably a better option.

Please let me know if you intend, or would like, to bring something to run, just so we get an idea of how much room we are likely to need around the fiddle yard.

And if you're not bringing anything to run, please come and have a look at the modules too !

Stu

Archived