Woodhead Electric Loco Liveries

edcayton

It is. And one of the UK based preserved EM2's has been used here in its UK EM2 livery some years ago, on at least one Special. One NS 1500 has been preserved here in Holland (in Dutch livery, of course) and as far as I'm aware, both UK machines are technically still NS 1500's ;)

So far, a book describing the EM2/NS 1500 has not been published, although other Dutch loco's do have a book dedicated to them: series 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1300 (as well as diesel series 2400 and various EMU's and DMU's and the French ancestor of the series 1100, the SNCF BB300). I suppose when a writer has been found the book would be bi-lingual and include their UK heritage as well as their Dutch history, but I don't know if any plans exist for writing that book. I won't, that's for sure ;)

27000 ELECTRA with special (Tommy Style) nameplates ran in Holland on the Dutch Network (Nederlandse Spoorwegen 'NS') She ran in 100% NS Condition with the exception of Dummy Vac Hoses on each cab and BR Horns (Non Working) on the roof. The loco was in BR Mid Brunswick Lined Livery with a small yellow panel, we could not identify the Buff colour for the roof so it was painted cream.

She ran on 9 special trains / workings & 4 EM2 Society Railtours covering over 2500 miles in total including empty stock and light engine movements.

On a Friday Evening during the NS 150 Celebrations she was called on to work a Utrecht to Rottadam Intercity working covering for a failed unit!

Hello There,

A very quick question regarding EM1 / Class-76 locomotives: my memory is most probably deceiving me, but something suggests that certain of these locomotives were used as dead load test weights during the electrification of the WCML north of Crewe. This is based on a very vague recollection of seeing a couple of these locomotives lying at Carlisle Kingmoor while electrification north of the border was underway. Am I mixing this up with something else, or was indeed this the case ? (Perhaps I am confusing with early generation AC electric locomotives which certainly arrived at Carlilse before electrification was complete). Many thanks,

Regards,

David B

I read somewhere, no idea where, that some investigative work was done regarding converting some EM1s to 25kv for freight work on the northern west coast.

It was not taken forward following the introduction of new 25kv locos releasing older ones for freight work.

No idea whether any were taken north though.

In a sense there were three classes because 'Tommy' was quite different in appearance to the other 76s/EM1s. I last saw her at Bury shed of all places where she was stored along with certain other rejects. Haven't a scooby what colour she was though.

I might be wrong but my impression was that the lined green EM1s were the namers - at least originally. I think green was eventually applied to most if not all. These named engines sometimes appeared on passenger trains even before the EM2s were withdrawn, although the EM2s were always preferred for passenger work. I suspect the 'greening' of the engines took place when names were applied - the names were not an original feature.

In a sense there were three classes because 'Tommy' was quite different in appearance to the other 76s/EM1s. I last saw her at Bury shed of all places where she was stored along with certain other rejects. Haven't a scooby what colour she was though.

By then Tommy was lined green with small panels.

Which "rejects" were there...? Bury also hosted 83's and 84's, which all returned to service after their troublesome rectifiers were replaced and put in a sterling service when compared to their diesel counterparts.

From the previously mentioned RCTS book "Locomotives of the LNER Part 10B":

EM1:

Tommy - LNER period = lined black (prior to being added to stock), then in lined green

BR period = lined black (BR emblem), named 1952; then lined green (BR crest).

Remainder of the class originally delivered in lined black with BR emblem. Later (commencing in 1956) lined green with BR crest. Nameplates added to select few 1959-61. Blue appeared from 1966.

EM2:

Delivered in lined black (BR emblem). Lined green (BR crest) from 1956. Nameplates added 1959-61. Blue from 1966.

I read somewhere, no idea where, that some investigative work was done regarding converting some EM1s to 25kv for freight work on the northern west coast.

It was not taken forward following the introduction of new 25kv locos releasing older ones for freight work.

No idea whether any were taken north though.

One Loco went to GEC Rugby for costing re 25Kv Conversion, Nothing known after this, Woodhead Route also costed for 25KV. I have the report somewhere here, will look for it one day! Charlie

Hello There,

A very quick question regarding EM1 / Class-76 locomotives: my memory is most probably deceiving me, but something suggests that certain of these locomotives were used as dead load test weights during the electrification of the WCML north of Crewe. This is based on a very vague recollection of seeing a couple of these locomotives lying at Carlisle Kingmoor while electrification north of the border was underway. Am I mixing this up with something else, or was indeed this the case ? (Perhaps I am confusing with early generation AC electric locomotives which certainly arrived at Carlilse before electrification was complete). Many thanks,

Regards,

David B

Nothing known of this! Personally I think this is unlikely but often seen around Crewe & Longsite re Crewe Works visits after Gorton closed.

By then Tommy was lined green with small panels.

Which "rejects" were there...? Bury also hosted 83's and 84's, which all returned to service after their troublesome rectifiers were replaced and put in a sterling service when compared to their diesel counterparts.

Do you know, I don't recall the detail. There were certainly some Bury-Manchester EMUs still in green that hadn't turned a wheel in years. And I have an idea that there may have been some 76s or 77s. But my memory is going down hill. As I said, I couldn't even remember what colour 'Tommy' was, though I distinctly recall seeing the loco. Naively, I hoped she had been put aside for preservation.

Do you know, I don't recall the detail. There were certainly some Bury-Manchester EMUs still in green that hadn't turned a wheel in years. And I have an idea that there may have been some 76s or 77s. But my memory is going down hill. As I said, I couldn't even remember what colour 'Tommy' was, though I distinctly recall seeing the loco. Naively, I hoped she had been put aside for preservation.

26000 Tommy was offered to the Dutch Railways (NS) in the same tender as the EM2s, the NS turned her down as they were after usefull locomotives to solve their stock shortages. The NRM at Clapham I think were offered her but they declined.

....There were certainly some Bury-Manchester EMUs still in green that hadn't turned a wheel in years. And I have an idea that there may have been some 76s or 77s. But my memory is going down hill. ....

Definitely some Manchester - Bury units, pic I took.....

file.php?id=70350

Visited Bury in 1971 and 1972 and there were no 76s or 77s there then - plenty of 83s and 84s though.

Hello There,

Regards,

David B

David,

Could this have been the Met Vic ex-gas turbine 18100 (E2000 ??) which was certainly used around Manchester and Glasgow during the electrifiaction work. An artical in BRILL some time ago about it.

• RMweb Premium

The Stationmaster : No.6000 was returned to England in 1952 and subsequently named Tommy in honour of its work in The Netherlands and in commemoration of the part played by the British Military in the liberation of the Dutch people from the German occupation during the Second War....(E. M. Johnson 'Woodhead, The Electric Railway' - Published by Foxline 2001).

Really?

Quote from LNER website http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/em1.shtml on earlier post:

The prototype, also received the name Tommy whilst on loan to the Netherlands, and retained its name when it returned. Tommy's nameplate was inscribed "So named by drivers of the Netherlands State Railways to whom this locomotive was loaned 1947-52"

Keith

From "Locomotives of the LNER part 10B" by the RCTS:

"During its stay in Holland No. 6000 had been known as "Tommy" by Dutch railwaymen. After its return from loan it was officially given this name at a ceremony at Liverpool Street station on 30th June 1952 by Mr. F.Q. den Hollander, President of Netherlands State Railways".

Hope that clears it all up.

Peter

What is the story with the Kent clear-view screens please?

Ed

IIRC these marine "spinning disc" wipers were only fitted to one EM2 (27002?) and at one end only on an experimental basis.

Similar systems were also fitted to D1006 & D1039 on the WR for a while in an effort to overcome the wiper lift that occurred on these locos at high speed, again these did not last long and looked even more peculiar.(There was a picture of one so fitted in Brian Haresnapes "Fleet Survey" edition on the diesel hydraulics)

Apparently they did throw the water clear of the spinning area, but as a side effect produced an opaque film on the rest of the screen, so the poor driver ended up peering through a "port hole" in those massive windscreens!

• 4 weeks later...

David,

Could this have been the Met Vic ex-gas turbine 18100 (E2000 ??) which was certainly used around Manchester and Glasgow during the electrifiaction work. An artical in BRILL some time ago about it.

Derek,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I had not realised that this GT loco was subsequently converted to 25kV AC operation. Unfortunately, the timeframe is out for my hazy Carlisle recollections. I was fairly young at the time, but distinctly remember there being "dead" Class 84's and other AC electrics lying at Kingmoor. Amongst these were some twin windscreen oddities, (not the the then new Class 87's, since I had just seen the pristine 87001 / 2 at Crewe). Perhaps these were some form of engineering / overhead infrastructure installation vehicles ? Otherwise, a mystery !

Regards,

David

• 3 months later...

I believe there is a book in progress, using a similar foormat to the Yeadon's LNER loco books, after all the EM1s were as much LNER locos as Peppercorn pacifics (dons tin helmet and ducks) :D

For all fans of Woodehad stuff, Nottingham show, next March, will have layouts in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm.

Arthur Peppercorn signed the order for the EM2 locos, there is a reproduction photo of the paperwork in one of the Woodhead books.

The order also shows the original quantity of locos and the revised figure of 7

EM2 loco had similar bogies to LMS 10000/1. ,For 10000/1 the middle axle was offset from the exact centre by several inches due to clearances of the traction motors.

Did the EM2 loco have the same arrangement? Or are they symmetrical?

Archived