Captain Cuttle's 7mm Workbench

Due to continuing health problems not so active lately but managed to get my Nigel Stanley Cl.47 finished at last, also recently bought a Heljan Hymek, added blue to cab surrounds, renumbered and weathered it. Now halfway on a Slater's Bogie B Van kit and making a start on four old RJH Mk 1 coach kits which I bought ages ago. Photos of the locos attached

post-1123-029491200 1291818744_thumb.jpg

post-1123-090180400 1291818685_thumb.jpg

post-1123-065116300 1291818634_thumb.jpg

post-1123-073534300 1291818652_thumb.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

Looking good can we have some picture of the blue Gresley lurking in the background?

Tis a n Ian Kirk kit I built about six years ago just use it to line up the KDs. I am hoping to make up a typical early to mid sixties parcels train.It is standard with extra plasticard strip to beef up the angled underframe also floor made removable and strips of lead for extra weight

post-1123-034220100 1291831417_thumb.jpgpost-1123-078003600 1291831433_thumb.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 7 years later...

Hi Alan, I recently finished my Ian Kirk full brake in maroon.  It does make a nice model.

I also did a pair of Dapol tankers.  These are sort of LMS in that they have 3'6" wheels (GWR and LNER used 3'1" wheels) but other underframe detail is quite wrong.  I spent of time and effort getting mine to look more like LMS.

Maybe it's time I got off my butt and got to grips with more work.

John

Do you have any details as to why they aren't 'right' please?

Emma

Hello Emma,

If you go to O gauge Milk tankers started by DapolDave from Oct 12 2012, there is a lot of info from various people. I dont know how to create a link from there to here but expect someone will do it shortly.

I think it is an amalgam of models which sort of looks ok and you can improve them but its the only ready to run model so far.

Alan

Hi Alan, I recently finished my Ian Kirk full brake in maroon.  It does make a nice model.

I also did a pair of Dapol tankers.  These are sort of LMS in that they have 3'6" wheels (GWR and LNER used 3'1" wheels) but other underframe detail is quite wrong.  I spent of time and effort getting mine to look more like LMS.

Maybe it's time I got off my butt and got to grips with more work.

John

Hello John,

Seems i have part duplicated this thread with another dated 2017, my memory is shot i am afraid!

I have also got a maroon Ian Kirk Gresley FB and will post a picture later. I would love to see your Dapol tankers as i got another s/h which i have got to start sometime. Also got through the GOG Sales page, a part built CRT tanker and an unbuilt Slaters one.

Alan

Hello John,

Seems i have part duplicated this thread with another dated 2017, my memory is shot i am afraid!

I have also got a maroon Ian Kirk Gresley FB and will post a picture later. I would love to see your Dapol tankers as i got another s/h which i have got to start sometime. Also got through the GOG Sales page, a part built CRT tanker and an unbuilt Slaters one.

Alan

Alan, here's a thread I did on the tankers:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131124-br-milk-train-Dapol-milk-tanks-upgraded/

My plan is to build a milk train.  I have a CRT 6 wheeled LNER brake and D&S 4 wheeled utility van (aka pigeon van)

John

Alan, here's a thread I did on the tankers:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131124-br-milk-train-Dapol-milk-tanks-upgraded/

My plan is to build a milk train.  I have a CRT 6 wheeled LNER brake and D&S 4 wheeled utility van (aka pigeon van)

John

John,

Very interesting, pity they didnt do a better job initially and i wonder why they would not consider doing a more accurate model as its a popular wagon.

Here is my maroon Gresley full brake as part of my parcels train.

post-1123-0-81262900-1544435690_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic Alan.  Here's mine.  I have a brake 3rd and all 3rd to do.

post-5932-0-57132700-1544452449_thumb.jpg

The milk tanks were done just before Richard Webster (Lionheart Trains) came on board.  I read, probably here, that he was appalled with the design but it was too late to change.  A new model design might appear but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The very first Dapol PO wagons were pretty awful.  I only bought one and expended a fair bit of money, effort and time getting it up to snuff.  The most recent Dapol PO wagons appear to be Lionheart clones so thats good news.

John

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/12/2010 at 18:06, Captain Cuttle said:

Tis a n Ian Kirk kit I built about six years ago just use it to line up the KDs. I am hoping to make up a typical early to mid sixties parcels train.It is standard with extra plasticard strip to beef up the angled underframe also floor made removable and strips of lead for extra weight

post-1123-034220100 1291831417_thumb.jpgpost-1123-078003600 1291831433_thumb.jpg

Regards

Alan

I've got one very similar - mine came from John Emerson's old layout.

Martyn,

Yes a good kit  which makes into an affordable model with a long  service life, i tried since to get a Sparmac one and also asked if the Gresley Dia 167 buffet car kit is available and the present owner has intentions of reintroducing the latter but not at this moment  [that was last summer].

I put an advert in the GOG Wanted list and was offered a RJH/Cavalier buffet car kit with bogies and wheels for a very reasonable amount. This is mainly etched brass with tinplate roof and whitemetal castings, i intend to paint in in blue and grey as some lasted into 1976 i believe.

The Dapol milk tankers are adaptable but be careful in taking them apart, i bought four altogether and also have two Powsides kits both bought half built and one a lot better than the other. Whether i will finish them cant say as now  i only build for myself i seem to accumulated  a stack of carriage stock, wagons and locos some RTR some kits.

The first tanker i put on here a year ago i rebuilt in 2016 and decided to see if it would come apart. As you probably saw, it did however be very careful as the ladder is very fragile and cant be bent even slightly or it will break. i replaced that first one with signal laddering.

Most of the parts i removed are held in with a sort of rubbery glue not unlike the type Heljan uses on its coach windows. The tank is actually two halves screwed together and held in with another screw on the underside. I cut off the spring dampers and made a small mould then cast some larger ones as all tankers had these fitted from 1950. There are a lot of variants and as i have said before, so for me i just wanted to improve them and i am reasonably happy with the result. I havent added any extra brake detail and they will be used on the garden railway so need to be fairly robust.

ATB

Alan

S4409.jpg

S4405.jpg

S4408.jpg

S4440.jpg

Dapol underframe.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1