More Harton/Wesoe questions especially one for wagon buffs!

westoe kid

Work is progressing on my layout based rather loosely on Westoe in N gauge. Things are going well on the "scenary" front with a mix of Bachmann and Hornby colliery buildings with the excellent Walthers hopper making a very convincing coal washery. Also a start has been made on catenary with the tramway type being built currently.

The problem I currently have is rolling stock and motive power, I have scatchbuilt a fairly convincing EE type loco no 12 from pasticard but powering it is another story, I have used the Kato shorty to some effect but it is not a great runner being too high geared, I have the Cherry kit for 13 - 15 but no idea how to power that, any ideas folks?

Also the next thought is wagons, I have to admit to being a novice in this department, I managed to obtain a few Dapol 21 tonners which are nice but not really typical as the most commontype seems to be the one with less ribs similar to the BR rebuilt type, any idea if there is a kit available? i havent been able to locate pics of the NGS kits to see what type they represent, also the Dapol ones seem to be out of production and becoming hard to get (and expensive!) as I will need quite a large fleet.

One happy thing on the motive power front is that Ashington are to lend a new class 14 to Harton for trials, it is expected to arrive on 25th December via the chimney!

Any thoughts please?

• RMweb Premium

Work is progressing on my layout based rather loosely on Westoe in N gauge. Things are going well on the "scenary" front with a mix of Bachmann and Hornby colliery buildings with the excellent Walthers hopper making a very convincing coal washery. Also a start has been made on catenary with the tramway type being built currently.

The problem I currently have is rolling stock and motive power, I have scatchbuilt a fairly convincing EE type loco no 12 from pasticard but powering it is another story, I have used the Kato shorty to some effect but it is not a great runner being too high geared, I have the Cherry kit for 13 - 15 but no idea how to power that, any ideas folks?

Also the next thought is wagons, I have to admit to being a novice in this department, I managed to obtain a few Dapol 21 tonners which are nice but not really typical as the most commontype seems to be the one with less ribs similar to the BR rebuilt type, any idea if there is a kit available? i havent been able to locate pics of the NGS kits to see what type they represent, also the Dapol ones seem to be out of production and becoming hard to get (and expensive!) as I will need quite a large fleet.

One happy thing on the motive power front is that Ashington are to lend a new class 14 to Harton for trials, it is expected to arrive on 25th December via the chimney!

Any thoughts please?

Hi

For my 13/14/15 locomotives I was planning on looking at the Portram bogies although the wheelbase at 12mm is alittle short and the wheel diameter at 4mm is also too small.

Picture of the NGS 21 Ton wagon here

y34223.jpg

Cheers

Paul

I believe those hoppers were purpose-built for the NCB's North-Eastern Region. They differed from the LNER/BR type in having a longer bottom door, which was less prone to blockage when carrying large chunks of minestone for tipping. That said, several north-eastern pits used to run them through a tippler instead...

The Area Workshops did quite a lot of major surgery on these wagons, even rebuilding steel hoppers with planked wooden bodies. As always, Paul Bartlett's site has some useful photos:-

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c296167.html

I believe those hoppers were purpose-built for the NCB's North-Eastern Region. They differed from the LNER/BR type in having a longer bottom door,

The NCB wagons were purpose built by Charles Roberts, Hurst Nelson and Standard Wagon. The original bodies are in effect a PO/LMS coke hopper for coal complete with the 'mokey tail' trap doors as per NER/LNER wooden hoppers.

The rebuilt ones with planked side are fom Seaham Wagon Shops and are a stright replacement of timber for steel (at least one preserved at Tanfield).

The rebodied ones are very similar to the BR ones (I understand that these were done at Lambton Workshops) but retained 4 of the 8 bottom doors but also differ in the angle of the end and the width at the bottom of the doors is wider than the BR one.

There were also some LNER hoppers rebuilt at Hawthorn with the same body as the BR rebuilds but with a diamond bash plate at each end of the body (the only survivor is at Springwell).

Drawings are in 'Industrial Wagons an introduction' by David Monk-Steel published by the Industrial Railway Socity.

Mark Saunders

Thanks for the info might have a crack at a couple of NGS kits for variety and just keep looking for Dapol ones around, if anyone wants sell about 20 of them at a knock down price get in touch! One other question, does anyone know the shade of red used on NCB hoppers in the late 70s? its pretty hard to tell from pictures.

I used to live in Sunderland and well remember the railway operating but since I got into this model the bug has well and truly bitten me, it really was a remarkable system. My next project is to be a potted low staiths with grvity working, thinking of a magnet below the baseboard to propel the hoppers, that should keep me out of trouble for the next few years!

Really interested in these Portram bogies, anyone got any tips of where to get one at a sensible price? I see Gaugemaster list a chassis but not available, I think this news might inspire me to make a start on the edge kit and maybe even order another, I have a feeling I may end up with 13, 14 and 15! Also looking into 1 or 2 using single portrams, any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Problem with this for powering the low electrics is that the motor will most likely be vertical. The locomotives 13/14/15 are only 15mm high from the top of the rail to the top of the bonnet. The cab is about 19mm high but in the middle of the BO BO wheelbase so not sure how you would drive the wheels.

On the Portram the best prices I have seen have been on eBay but then there may be duty to pay. On another forum it was mentioned that the model shop at the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways http://www.festshop.co.uk/ may be able to get just the chassis but no further information has been given at the moment.

Cheers

Paul

Yeah I think the Portram is the only answer but I was thinking that small loco was not unlike Westoe E10 and might look quite convincing with a pantograph, a few mods and a paint job, it is a bit high but would make a cute little loco!

I e.mailed Gaugemaster about the chassis only and no news, surprised Kato haven't got into offering the bogie in singles seems to be a lot of interest from th NG fratenity!

Thanks for the replies, I will get round to posting some work in progress soon!

Archived