Woodhouse Lane

torkardlane

Woodhouse Lane

by torkardlane

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Somewhere in late 1990's Nottinghamshire you will find Woodhouse Lane station on the edge of a once proud coalmining town. The Beeching cuts of the 1960's made the line freight only, and the double track line serving the now shut pits in the area has been mostly mothballed for more than fifteen years . Since the pit strikes of the early eighties times have been very tough here for the local population. A local firm in the region was able to offer jobs to miners who had lost theirs and has steadily built up into a major wagon building business. With large national and international companies contracting them to refurbish and build they have now become a major employer.

Nearby the old Midland and GCR line has been reopened as the Robin Hood Line and been succesful in taking a lot of passenger traffic off the local roads and helping those who need to commute into Nottingham and further afield. With encouragement from Government the County Council and the Strategic Rail Authority they have now decided to reopen fully the Woodhouse line and build a new "station" on the old pit site. This will join up with the Robin Hood line on its way into Nottingham.

Thats basically the story in my head and I have now started on building part of this on a 4' X 1' board I have managed to recover from my other aborted layout. All track will be Peco OO code 100 and DCC operated using my NCE Powercab set. Hopefully Woodhouse station with a single platform and siding leading to David Wile Smith Ltd Wagonworks will be the result. Photos of my progress to follow.

Comment posted by 18B on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi

nice thread, sounds familiar, lol, have you seen the "Shirebeck in Elmswell" layout in Model Rail a few years back, that's obviously based on the area you are reffering to. Perhaps something like re-opening Shirebrook to Warsop sounds something like your layout?

Look forward to seein gsome pics.

PM your way.

Comment posted by Sir Jacky on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 am

Sounds like a good plan. Exciting stuff. icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 am

Sounds familiar 18B ill have to get my old mags out and have a look at it. With RMweb and all the mags i buy its no wonder layouts look similar, so much inspiration there is. I have been working on it for ages now and the layouts on here have given me so much to think about I am not surprised people will see other layouts in it.This layout I woke up with one morning in my head, wrote it down played about in Xrtrkcad and with bits of track on me table. I was very pleased with it then St Peters St thread was updated and I thought o s**t i have copied someone else layout. Anyway i have changed it slightly so it is not a rip off Pete Harveys design even though i do like it alot. Hope he dont mind.

Comment posted by 18B on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi

the Shirebeck-in-Elmswell layout is a cracking BR Blue/late Green era layout and is right in the same location as your idea.

??? posted on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Short update for you. I've recycled my old layout boards and created a board 4' X 1' and because i have not bought any wood i managed to save some pennies on the way.

Painted the backscene with a sky blue colour and was not impressed.

file.php?id=102788

So i got a photo backscene from Gaugemaster.

file.php?id=102789

Used a bit of skirting to represent the platform and placed some loose track to see how things fitted.

file.php?id=102794

file.php?id=102799

Got on with making the platforms and these are the results.

gallery_6689_229_95228.jpg

Platform surface made from balsa.

gallery_6689_229_76138.jpg

Really pleased with the look of these. Recreating the brick effect platform surface on the Robin Hood Line with terracota paint for the red bricks and hand painted the logos. I will try to make my own platform lamps later. weathering to follow when I feel brave enough.

Last pic is overhead shot for all those who say "lets have a layout plan"

gallery_6689_229_347456.jpg

Need some advise from all you shunter experts. The idea of the layout is that passengers use line A only, line B comes in from the right and is basically only for access to the Wagon works off line C . What I want to do is fit my stock with Kadees and shunt the two lines, do I put an uncoupling magnet on line D only or line D & E. What would they do in reality.

Thanks Tom

post-6689-12577666292717_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for an update after doing a lot of bits and bobs and never completeting anything. Been working on a kind of scratch built footbridge for one end of the layout. Under bridge you can see my MK1 version of an emergency buffer? or I think thats what they are , saw one at Derby the other year whilst the station was renovated. I will have another go at making MK2 version some other time. Next anyway on my list is the rear wall on the platform, platform lights, signal and road bridge at opposite end of layout. Plenty to keep me going if all the mail order comes soon. Feeling pleased with the look of the bridge hopefully you lot will tell me if it looks right or not.

Tom.

post-6689-12622766141353_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the platform back wall and railing done today.

Got a Canon A590is for my birthday so have been experimenting with pics of the layout, just a few of my Class 153 entering the station with new roadbridge in background(not fixed yet will do when ballasting done) by scalescenes with new wall/railing on left. Hopefully with more practice and when the weather improves I will get some natural light pics soon.

post-6689-12631317917555_thumb.jpg

post-6689-12631323517863_thumb.jpg

post-6689-12631327647473_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paul, all comments welcome and yes it looks like I goofed on the footbridge height. Even though I scratch built the bridge section the steps are from an old Hornby bridge and positioned it to suit and never thought of the height. When I can I will try and reduce the height on it but i glued it really well in place. Hopefully it wont damage much removing it but ill give it a go soon.

Tom

Archived