TimC's 7mm BR Blue Workbench - JLTRT BR CCT

TimC

• RMweb Premium

Surely the grinding noise is prototypical though?.....

:D Quite! However, I don't want the mechanical noise fighting above the DCC sound. It was by far the noisiest runner last night at club - by a long way!

• RMweb Premium

Talking of which I have been trying to access the ABC gears website all day (and last night) but to no avail, it appears something is amiss there unless somebody here as access to it?

I wanted to get the dims and stats for the g/boxes in preperation for my 108 alternative power bogie.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of which I have been trying to access the ABC gears website all day (and last night) but to no avail, it appears something is amiss there unless somebody here as access to it?

I wanted to get the dims and stats for the g/boxes in preperation for my 108 alternative power bogie.

Hi David

http://www.abcgears.co.uk/ worked first time for me, just now (using Google Chrome). The info you need is in the price list. There is a scale drawing (but no dimensions so you have to print it out) of the diesel bogie gearbox.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Bumholes!!!!!!!! Chrome does the same thing here, that address gets diverted to "www.abcgear.talktalk.net" which just times out with the message cannot find the website, the server may be down.....

I might just order a wyvern gearbox and crailcrest instead!

• RMweb Premium

Nope nothing.....even with Chrome, I have no problems whatsoever with every other website so I am certain its not my end, maybe AVG is seeing something in the site as a threat, but usually it will always prompt if thats the case.....

• RMweb Premium

Ozzy, this is very odd as I cannot access it at all on my home comp, and I just tried it on my neighbours laptop and we are getting the same result, a message that says "could not connect to remote server".

I am now giving up as it is definately not my computer....thankfully :)

Ozzy, this is very odd as I cannot access it at all on my home comp, and I just tried it on my neighbours laptop and we are getting the same result, a message that says "could not connect to remote server".

I am now giving up as it is definately not my computer....thankfully :)

Hi David,

have you tried going through the link on the Guild's website - I've just done that and it worked fine.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

On chrome I get the UK2 banner but it times out before finding the ABC site.....

I must apologise to Tim here, I feel this has hijacked the thread long enough.....lets get back to modelling, unless of course there is a computer help community in RM Web I missed? LOL

• RMweb Premium

That will be interesting to see Brian's solution, I ordered the Slaters 30:1 spur cut DR machined gearbox and Mashima unit, some spare axles as I am going to try my first split axle pick up system on this and will be making up a chassis from a bit of brass and some sticky tape (well thats how it often looks! :D )

I think once I get what to me is an acceptable level of performance from the motor bogie it will prompt me into getting on with the rest of the structure, until recently I could only envisage a growly DMU which has somewhat stifled my enthusiasm with the build, I want a silent drive system with the growls coming from a decent sized speaker within the unit! :music_mini2:

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the ABC bogie for the Easy Build Cl 108 DMU that has been built for me.

Its well built and the side frames push on as they do on the original one supplied by Easy Build.

Running is excellent and very much quieter than the Easy Build version. Well worth the money.

post-6682-0-00411800-1320420228.jpg

post-6682-0-90470100-1320420248.jpg

post-6682-0-09014300-1320420264.jpg

post-6682-0-02134000-1320420277.jpg

post-6682-0-05962900-1320420292.jpg

post-6682-0-23091500-1320420307.jpg

post-6682-0-41973200-1320420321.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is the ABC bogie for the Easy Build Cl 108 DMU that has been built for me.

Very nice TTG - now do I build something similar or just go for a ABC one-stop solution? One to ponder over the weekend.

The motor sits slightly above and towards the read of the bogie. It needs the aperture in the floor of the DMU opening up a bit but not much so the pivot points line up in the bogie and floor allowing the fixing bolt to do its job. No great problem though and easily fixed.

Well happy with it and very quiet. The old one was very very noisy ad its mainly why I went for the ABC solution. A lot smoother as well so the jerking has gone :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Looks good, what provision is there for power collection? Also what is the gear ratio?

I came up with a similar solution but as I said I used the slaters 30:1 gearbox and motor which requires the motor to sit horizontal about the bogie so I will have to arrange the pivot point differently, no biggy but I definately wanted a lower raito than the available slaters 18:1 vertical gearbox which would have been able to use the original bogie picot point mounting.

Hi David,

It needs pick ups fitting but no great problem using some copper clad board and brass pick up wire.

The ratio I'm told by Brian is 13.85:1 and seems ok for my use. Its free running and a lot less noisy than the one supplied with the kit.

TTG