Roaring 'Forties' = scales 1:43 -1:48, any gauge

Pint of Adnams

Hi All,

Following the thread on the previous incarnation of RMWeb, Andy Y has kindly agreed that those of us modelling in scales in and around 7mm can have our own social area.

I've chosen a title that, I hope and Andy Y agrees, is as inclusive as possible and thus should ensure that those who are in even more of a minority amongst us feel welcome and wanted. If it confuses the occasional sailor or odd D&E modeller - apologies.

And Y was and remains keen to ensure that:

1. Any workshop or layout content is included within the blog or gallery functions.

2. It's more of a social dialogue point and stuff that's specific to 7mm, he's keen to see 7mm & O across the site and not just in the corner. icon_smile.gif

It's been set up so that we can have multiple topics in here, so feel free to start them but please keep this one for 'admin' type stuff.

Thanks Andy, see you around chaps,

PoA

..It's more of a social dialogue point ...

I had to admit that back on RMweb3 I wasn't keen on this idea... but then RMweb3 blew up and I was amazed how easily I had lost contact with Friends once RMweb4 was up & running; it's taken me a while to find some and there's probably still a few I've missed (they could, of course, be avoiding me...:D :P ) but it does mean that I suddenly became very much in favour of this "7mm Area Group", keeping it as above- a Social Dialogue point... so thanks to P-of-A for getting it going, and to Andy Y for his tolerance..!!

:icon_wave: Jordan.

Hi.

Found it!

I agree with Jordan, it's a little tricky trying to find everyone, but I think we're mostly all here now!

I thought I'd see you at the weekend at Wolverhampton, Jordan; you missed a good little show. I guess you were contemplating your 14! Nobody specifically introduced themselves as an RMwebber, but I remembered a couple from the previous year and had some good chats anyway.

Richard

Can I join please? I am in posession of a 7mm kit, I just haven't got round to building it yet.. laugh.gif

Hi Pugsley and welcome, glad you found us.

Anyone with an interest or leaning towards the 7mmish scales is most welcome - it'll be the place to find out about all things directly relevant to our particular world, but don't forget to put your kit build in with the rest of the Workbench Blogs for all to see.

Hi guys. I have only just dipped my toe into 1.48 scale, via my new ON30 layout. I little USA narrow gauge venture, purporting to be a preserved line. I wanted to get away from, what I consider to be done to death, logging layouts. Not that I dislike logging layouts, indeed, I love-em.cool.gif But I still wanted to run a Shay, and wagons, as well as steam hauled passenger stuff. It also allows me to use diesel and modern stuff.rolleyes.gif

The Group sub-text reads For Modellers of scales from 1:43 - 1:48, any gauge

Hi guys. I have only just dipped my toe into 1.48 scale, via my new ON30 layout. I little USA narrow gauge venture, purporting to be a preserved line. I wanted to get away from, what I consider to be done to death, logging layouts. Not that I dislike logging layouts, indeed, I love-em.cool.gif But I still wanted to run a Shay, and wagons, as well as steam hauled passenger stuff. It also allows me to use diesel and modern stuff.rolleyes.gif

Does 7mm narrow gauge count - I'm working on an 0-16.5 timesaver micro layout, the slow construction of which is covered in my blog.

Paul

Hi Smudge and Paul,

So between you that's the other end of the scale range and 'any gauge' covered - anyone for Broad Gauge, Irish, Russian, Eastern Counties 5' gaugecool.gif

I thought this was going to be about GT40s !

I'll refrain from the obvious rejoinder, and no it's not about WD40 either.tongue.gif

....and no it's not about WD40 either.tongue.gif

I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in. It had no bottom. I felt pretty good - like an amputated leg.

I guess it's not about Sam Spade either? :icon_mrgreen:

Hi All - Thanks for the work you put in to get this thread started Pint.

Still waiting to the wood for my baseboards - it's been a week now! Just comes of letting someone do you a favour (for which I didn't ask). <_<

Off to play with Granville Williams' 'Wadebridge' tomorrow.

Phil

[several edits later - I think that's right]

Hi guys,

Although i'm currently in one of my occasional "avoiding 0 scale" moods - i'll join in anyway!

I do have some British 7mm - Heljan 37, Skytrex 31, kitbuilt 08 and (even) a live steamer(!), i also have some 1/45th scale stuff: most of the Lenz range and a couple of very nice older Rivarossi items, all German outline - so the title of this topic is very appropraite to me, thanks Pint and Andy Y.

Also many thanks to Jordan and others who have tried to explain the vagaries of US outline 1/48th scale to me - i'm still contemplating THAT!!!!

Cheers,

John E.

Good to see this group up and running - thanks Pint for taking the lead. I think Andy's strictures about keeping content in the general modelling areas is absolutely right - but we can always alert each other in this Roaring Forties area by osting a link to blogs and threads of interest.

P.S. I like the title of this group, but how long before those rare but valued 1:50 modellers claim to be excluded?

Hi Fellow Fortyfiers,

Thanks for all your messages of support here and in personal conversations. I know that there is at least one of you who is ambivalent about it - all I can say is it's entirely your choice whether you do or don't, but it seems that previous doubters or fence-sitters have decided that it's not such a bad move after all. As we lead so might others follow...

Which neatly brings me to another development. Since the publications for modellers in our scale generally tend to be restricted to members of the relevant organisation, approval has been given to cover the likes of the Gauge O Guild Gazette, Scale Seven Group Newsletter, 7mm NG Association News, etc. within this area. It's not intended to persuade or cajole anyone into joining, but to give an idea of what might be found if you later decided to. Apart from anything else, the Gazette and Guild website public areas are (at least on this side of the pond and ditch) tremendous sources of directly relevant and useful material, not least on available products, trade news and suppliers.

Accordingly, I'll kick-start a few more threads, but then I'd much rather you run with them after that. If there are more useful publications, links, or anything else felt relevant to here, wherever located in the world or whatever the subject, please feel free to add them.

Happy modelling,

PoA

I'm in.

I was planning on starting my 7mm layout next year, but since it fits within the dimensions of the 2010 challenge i'm tempted to start it sooner!

So much temptation, so little storage space in our current pad ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since O Gauge and 7mm generally means high standards of modelling, and I am by nature a lazy bodger, I'm not sure my welcome here will last long! I do admit that as well as my HO US transition-era layout, and my forthcoming 2010 OO UK effort, I have a small investment in On30. This is mainly Bachmann, with 3 or 4 steamers and an equal number of Rio Grande Southern Galloping Geese. There isn't actually a layout, but I have built a couple of trestles (wooden bridges, not the things we perch baseboards on!), the station and some other buildings at Ophir, Colorado, and I just need to get to grips with baseboards. It will have to be sectional, because the railway barn is full of the HO stuff. Control will be DCC, not least because all the locos have sound, and I've been using DCC for a dozen years now.

Someone else mentioned GT40s. Living where I do, we do see a few every summer, and there's a cheap 1/18th scale one on the shelf by my bed....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in....

Saw this forum area some time ago, but assumed that the Roaring Forties group referred to modellers "of a certain age". Although I belong to this certain age group I'm in denial, so avoided it for weeks....

Of course if we were in such as the Club & Societies area sub-Forum, then our tag-line:

For Modellers of scales from 1:43 - 1:48, any gauge

would make it much more obvious who we are and what we're about, and the various sub-topics would be much more obvious too. Maybe we should pretend we live in the Wirral, but on second thoughts...

Archived