Roaring 'Forties' = scales 1:43 -1:48, any gauge

Pint of Adnams

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I became a member of the "Roaring Forties Plus Ten" club last year -- so it's nearly time to think about growing up a bit!

Don't you believe it.

We all have to accept growing old, but fortunately Growing Up still remains an option.

;)

regards

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm hoping to build a model railway based on duffield bank railway by sir arthur heywood in 1:43 and using N gauge track

Welcome Sir D,

That's a bit different but I think brings back memories of all those miniature railways from childhood, some fortunately still around today. It's not the first time this combination has been modelled, usually as a scenic addition, but there haven't been many.

Gents

Count me in on this.... Ive been away from the work bench for far too long....Lots of kits to finish, a few to start and its about time I got on with it.

Good to have a bit of a break sometimes.

Cheers

Phil

Welcome Phil H,

I think those sentiments could rate as a signature on here, or serve as an epitaph...:unsure:

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Having recently joined RMweb and an "O" gauge modeller I would like to join in with this offshoot. My modelling skills are not as good as I would like but I do my best. I was a member of the guild a few years ago but got sidetracked with family history and helping my wife with her hobby of making dolls house bits and pieces. Have got the urge back and rejoined the guild and have started building some kits, when I get my garage cleared I am hoping to build a model of Spilsby station but my jinty and 4f may look out of place. At the moment I am attempting to scratch build an lner c12 along with other projects. I think I may well fit in with the criteria as I am over 40 and still have most of my teeth although I have yet to grow up.

Alan

Webbo46

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone

By way of introduction I have been an O scale type for years and have over time made several layouts most of which have been scrapped or passed on. My latest effort (and realisically my last) is a indoor/outdoor line which was going to run from garage round garden and back to garage. The outdoor bit was made and fortuitously, the indoor bit was addressed when a certain Model Raiway Club wished to dispose of their well known and loved layout. This is now in and connected to the outdoor part saving years of work.

I cannot endorse too highly the value that membership of the Gauge 0 Guild gives by way of access to a super magazine and masses of information and support. For the modest subscription it is a bargain.

My current winter projects are a B2 and B17 class 4-6-0s using the DMR kits as a base. These are comming along well. Looking forward to the warmer weather when the outside work can be finished (if anything is theses days!

Regards to all

Martin

• 9 months later...

Hello, I've modelled in O gauge for a dozen years, before that, in N. I currently have a sort of tinplate Sodor Island layout where Lionel's Thomas, James and Percy roam. I hope to repurpose Percy into Ivor, inspired by the smallfilms website...

This must be some kind of RMweb record, two Colonials from Illinois posting consecutively in a thread.

I've modeled the US scene mostly in HO for too many years to count and have also dabbled in UK outline in OO and N on and off since the 1980s. My British modeling really took off when I discovered the last iteration of RMweb, mostly in N scale.

As my eyes age I've found myself being drawn more and more to the Senior Scale. I've been working with US O scale for a few years now (mostly traction, but also some diesel freight) and am now trying to cross over my British modeling to 7mm.

I've had a few 7mm wagon kits on the shelf for the last year or so, but couldn't get too excited without a locomotive. That deficiency has been resolved, a Bachmann Brassworks Class 03 is somewhere over or on the Atlantic enroute to me as I type. I'm busily looking at trackplans for a small self-contained shunting plank that I can take to local shows.

Hello!

Such a coincidence! I too migrated from N to O over the years. That Class 03 should look grand. I've been using Lionel's Thomas, Percy and James. (Although James is an abomination - too small in relation to the others) and their 'troublesome trucks' -- I've also created a brake van out of a bobber caboose, a Royal Mail carriage out of a longer combination, and The Express' passenger cars out of some Santa Fe cars....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not in Illinois, but in Kansas, which isn't too far away in US terms...

I have a few pieces of rolling stock and some track, but more serious purchases planned for the next few weeks to allow a proper start on my British O scale layout. I may take mine to my local show but then again it would probably be lost on the type of people that usually attend.

Nick

I don't know Nick, we get a lot of 'continental and US' layouts at regular shows over here in the UK so theoretically there's no reason a UK layout should be out of place at an american show in the USA somewhere. I can understand perhaps "lost on the type of people who usually attend" but you may well find some are curious as to how things are different over here, not just stock and scenery but railway practice as well.

Exhibited a small Japanese layout this year, you'd be amazed how many people told me that the trains were the wrong colour for Amtrak or that it looks stupid having passenger coaches moving on their own without an engine (DMU/EMU)...

• 5 weeks later...

The 7mm bug has got me now, I bought some course scale wagons about 15 years ago but never had anything to run them with or on. I've now built a couple of points 2 coachs and an iffy industrial diesel so the smaller stuff is back in the loft for the time being and a light railway is being planned.

Recently come back to the fold; this time, something bigger.

Am collecting at the moment, hope to make up some kits to go with my 'Ixion'.

Have also purchased some pointwork & rail.

Now need to decide what it's going to be, but I am really liking these micro layouts in 'O'.

• 1 month later...

Recently come back to the fold; this time, something bigger.

Am collecting at the moment, hope to make up some kits to go with my 'Ixion'.

Have also purchased some pointwork & rail.

Now need to decide what it's going to be, but I am really liking these micro layouts in 'O'.

Went to edit this post,& seemed to lose it!

Anyway, I have decided it will just be another shunting plank, so that I can run my bits somewhere, whilst I contemplate the 'real' layout. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi! I`ve been modelling in 7mm scale for fifteen years, mainly buildings. I saw a comment from somebody looking for 7mm buses. I think a company called The Stalingrad Model Bus Company used to made a British 

single deck bus. The price was over a £100 for the model, built and painted, but I have not been looking for a long time now.

Archived