O Scale Class 14 kit

F-UnitMad

• 1 month later...

Just been reading through this thread and thought you may be interested in the G1 version of the same kit that Jim blew up to 10mm some years ago.

I made the patterns but there were only 4 or 5 "kits " ever produced.

This is one of the few which I'm finishing off for Trevor of Mercian to use as a taster for the 1/32 9.5mm/ft version that will appear in the not too distant future.

teddybear1.jpg

Brian's prototype pictures have been most useful - thanks Brian

I'll post some more when it's complete.

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...

richard,

looking nice in guage1!!!

if it was blown up from the 7mm version, does it still have the same problems with things 'not fitting' or have those been eliminated?

f-unit, hows yours getting on? finished mine....a few pics before it leaves to go to its new owner.........

post-9368-089230600 1286344951_thumb.jpg

post-9368-068879400 1286345028_thumb.jpg

post-9368-067856900 1286345368_thumb.jpg

post-9368-079444000 1286345378_thumb.jpg

f-unit, hows yours getting on? finished mine....a few pics before it leaves to go to its new owner.........

Are those pics 'before' and 'after' weathering..? It looks very good!

Mine is "On Hold" at the moment, hence the lack of recent posts. I've made a complete Horlicks of the coupling rods, and it is now a complete non-runner at present. :( :unsure:

Having got the chassis running on the rolling road (I posted a You-Tube clip of it) the trouble was it wouldn't run on my track, which has curves and grades. I'd bodged in a bit of springing to the two non-powered axles, and had a go at jointing the coupling rods, but it still wasn't running smoothly and I've opened out the holes too much so the rods just jam up completely at present. :angry:

I could really do with new parts from PRMRP to start again, I feel, although I have some offers of help in the pipeline as well.

At present I now have to concentrate on other projects though, ready for the next Trent Valley N.A.M. Show, so this is on the back-burner at the moment.

It's not a total write-off, and I'm not giving up on it- as I've said elsewhere O scale is too expensive for Bin Jobs!!

But beginners beware - in my experience, building a 'steam' chassis has been a far different kettle of fish to bogie diesels... <_< :rolleyes:

if it was blown up from the 7mm version, does it still have the same problems with things 'not fitting' or have those been eliminated?

Hi Spud

I built the 7mm version when Jim Harris first introduced it, but I can't remember it being particularly difficult.

That is apart from the plunger pickups I fitted which proved to be very efficient disc brakes B)

The big one was partially built originally ( maybe 1995/6 ) to size the patterns I was making for it,

so finishing it off in the last month or so has finally completed a long term project.

The artwork was obviously hand drawn (1992), and I think goes together OK.

I've built some junk kits in my time but this one is not bad for it's era.

I suppose being G1 you can hit it with a bigger hammer.

Regards

Richard

• 3 months later...

Price is relative, it will assist you to build a good quality kit, surely that's better than wasting £260 on a kit you can't build?, and spread over a goodly number of kits the relative cost comes down, although an even better/cheaper bet is the maybe the master chassis jig, which I have no experience of.

I would agree with you about the relative price bit. But have to agree more with 3-link that arguably the bext way to learn how to construct a chassis is to do it the "old" way without these fancy jigs. Then when you attack it professionally, and time is money, you can perhaps "afford" to spend some of the profits on a jig. I still believe that from a amateur's perspective it should be just considered as a relatively expensive and optional tool. If you can afford it it will help, but is not essential and if the buying of the next kit is to be put back by the purchase of this tool, then manage without it.

I don't have one but have seen one in operation and am impressed by it. I know I can manage perfectly well without one so pass on actually buying one.

• 1 year later...

Just found this old thread, as I've just taken delivery of the 4mm scale version of this kit from Mercian via eBay.

I was intrigued by the name "PMK" on a couple of the all nickel-silver etches (as opposed to the all brass body of the 7mm sample in this subject), and thought "Pocket Money Kits? Jim McGeown never did diesels....did he?" Then again, it would be right up his street since there's no outside valve gear involved.

Am thinking of using the HH ball-bearing hornblocks on this one, but not sure whether this would be compatible with CSB suspension.

I was intrigued by the name "PMK" on a couple of the all nickel-silver etches (as opposed to the all brass body of the 7mm sample in this subject), and thought "Pocket Money Kits? Jim McGeown never did diesels....did he?"

He did indeed. I recall nearly buying a 7mm version of his 14 kit many, many, years ago - probably 1993-ish, but never did in the end. That kit was sold to PRMRP at some point, I'm not sure when, but I never realised that there was a 4mm version.

I assume no 7mm version is still around?

PRMRP still have Jim McGeown's old kit on thier website.

And there's a new kit comming soon from a chap called John Firminger. The prototype build of the kit was on display on the JPL models stand at the Bristol Show last month.

And there's a new kit comming soon from a chap called John Firminger. The prototype build of the kit was on display on the JPL models stand at the Bristol Show last month.

Does that have a website at all? I'd be interested in a 4mm shootdown if a new kit was coming out and mainly etch. Save me the design work.

Does that have a website at all? I'd be interested in a 4mm shootdown if a new kit was coming out and mainly etch. Save me the design work.

The Bristol O gauge show has a link to http://www.jplmodels.co.uk/ but this is just a blank page.

I don't know. Perhaps a quick call would clear thing's up? or contact the Bristol O gauge Show organisers perhpaps?

Hi

I've read the above about the new kit by John Firminger. I know both John and JPL Models and have spoken to John this morning. Completed models will be on show on the JPL Models stand at Bolton tomorrow and at Kettering on 3rd March.

A web site is on the way, but there's no date for it yet. I'll see JPL at Bolton tomorrow, if not this afternoon, and will post contact details later.

Rod

Archived