O Scale Class 14 kit

F-UnitMad

As far as I'm aware... I have no more bits to solder to this loco (famous last words!! ) ...

I had to make up the centre steps under the cab doors myself; the etched ones just didn't fold up symetrically at all. I used the etched steps and backing grills but made new side pieces from brass strips.

I also couldn't find anything that looked like the little fitting also under the cab (fire alarm or similar? I don't know what it is!!) so made a couple myself out of scrap brass. Also fitted the last of the handrails, including the ones around the bonnets, roof vents and lift rings, and the lights at each end and lamp irons...

Class14J001.jpg

Class14J002.jpg

Class14J003-1.jpg

The only things to fit to the body now are the cab seats, crew and glazing, and the buffer heads and couplings; all after the main painting has been done. There is some under-footplate detail to do (pipework) once the chassis is in place.

There's still some cleaning up to do and primer may show up bits to fill or smooth, of course.

In the meantime maybe it's time for another workbench-tidying session..!!

Class14J004-1.jpg

blink.gif

Are the bufferheads steel?

I blackened some for a wagon by heating them over the gas ring until they glowed red, them popping into an old 35mm film canister containing clean engine oil. Beautiful bued steel surface.

I'm a go-between passing on a message! As follows -

Kev,

do me a favor and ask f-unit? [kit building and scratch building](O gauge

class 14) if he has got his chassis back yet and how it runs.

Thanks.

All the best

Paul.

And your workbench is spotless compared to Pauls!

The body has had a coat of primer; grey etching primer and white primer over the areas which will be yellow...

SDC10467.jpg

... so while the going was good I got out the airbrush and did the yellow, too...

SDC10468.jpg

The yellow is a bit deeper shade than the camera has picked up. The 'things' in the buffers are half cotton buds - keep the paint out of the bores a treat!

The body is now in Primer... pics soon..!!

Who is Birchwood Casey, then...??? blink.gif biggrin.gif

1st reply on RMweb so here we go. Birchwood Casey is a metal blackening solution from the USofA. I find that it works better than Carr's. You can get it from Eileen's, three types to chose from, I use the Aluminium on nickel silver.

OzzyO

• 3 weeks later...

The Comedy Painting is turning out to be a bit of a slow process I'm afraid, and still isn't fully finished, but just to show I am doing some modelling, here's a few pics...

The "wasp stripe" ends are now done, and the cab interior and cab itself. The Precision "Sherwood Green" I used turned out a bit dark for my liking (it does say 'dull' on the tin, though...) so I lightened the second coat with some Revell 'Sky Blue' of all things, which looks a very light green to me- hope these shades look okay to you!!!

Some of the main body green has been done while I was doing around the noses, but is unfinished. The fan stands out nicely now, though.

Class14K1.jpg

Class14K2.jpg

Class14K3.jpg

Class14K4.jpg

Hi All,

Just an update from me. The frames duly arrived from Jordan and having taken a look in the box, there`s not a lot is there ?. ...

I am taking photo`s as I go along so expect something to show up next week. Just wondering if we should drive this thing off the Jackshaft if space permits ?.

Kindest

Ian

Ian, you last posted on this thread in December, and last contacted me on 21st March. I know you have said you've had computer problems, and changed ISP (I did too recently!). I note you have removed your Avatar... are you still with us..? :unsure:

Ian, you last posted on this thread in December, and last contacted me on 21st March. I know you have said you've had computer problems, and changed ISP (I did too recently!). I note you have removed your Avatar... are you still with us..? :unsure:

Forgive me if this post seems a bit hasty only 5 days later, but it would appear not...?

I have to admit I am starting to get a bit worried...

I have to admit I am starting to get a bit worried

I think that I would get a bit worried after 4 months, especially when he can scratch build a loco in less time.

ATB

OzzyO.

PS. did we ever see a finished loco????????

Forgive me if this post seems a bit hasty only 5 days later, but it would appear not...?

I have to admit I am starting to get a bit worried...

Oh my god, don't tell me we're in one of these situations again!

I have sent Ian Jones a PM asking him to contact you as a matter of urgency Jordan.

Well suffice to say, no word so far from Ian Jones aka Nortonian... a letter to the forwarding address I have for him (seems I fell for that one, too) is on it's way.

All I can say at this point is that I'm glad that 1) no money changed hands (Ian said he'd do the work for nothing, for one thing.) and 2) I didn't take up his offer to paint the body for me, know what I mean?

I have been told that the Gauge O Guild has been informed of this incident, too.

Thanks for all the support from those who have contacted me; you know who you are.

I have had a reply to an email I sent to Pete Waterman, about Ian Jones. The gist of it is that Pete has no contact details for him; he still has some of Pete's models, and Pete ends "I hope you find him"... !!

I have been given an Ebay ID name that should be his; "thechocolatelad" . This person has changed ID name 5 times in recent years; which fits what I've been told about Mr Jones. At least going by the feedback listings he hasn't sold my stuff this year, but feedback over 90 days old doesn't list items, so he might possibly have sold the Slaters wheels in late Nov or December.

He actually volunteered to paint the body for me! I shudder to think of it - he'd have had the whole kit then, and I've seen the price an O scale 14 went for once before on Ebay..!!

I think the thing that usually happens to other people, has happened to me, this time, and as Mr Jones "Nortonian" has not responded to this thread, or Andy's PM (or mine!!) I feel few qualms in now discussing the situation out here on open Forum.

To be honest I am having a break from this model at the moment, until this issue is sorted one way or another my heart just isn't in it at the moment. I'm sure everyone will understand.

If anyone comes up with any more useful information in the meantime, do please shout up!!

Archived