BRM Jan 2011

davidw

Images on the Calendar - why?

NSE 4-VEP, A4, Stanier 2-6-4T, Terrier, IC 08, Gatwick 73, IC Mk3 Sleeper, Blue Van C, Tiphook KFA Container Wagon, Hornby 2011 tanker, Wheatsheaf Arms, Baptist Church.

Features Tetley Mills, Sea Foam trees, modifying a Farish cl37, a commissioned 4mm 6 road loco shed, BRM project layout "Dudley Heath" (N gauge), detailing and weathering a Skytrex O gauge wagon, a feature on some country service staions, The M&SWJR reborn (pt3), building a 4mm Midland Railway signal box, and the reason why I bought the magazine - Kiln Road (OO) North Eastern layout.

It's getting a bit better

• RMweb Premium

Curiously, I thought this edition was rather good.

Tetleys Mills article is worth it by itself. I think its around 10 pages- great!. A very good and thorough review of the Bachmann A2 is included and another great layout Kiln Road.

Also included is a DVD of Tetleys Mills . Not a bad package at all for £3.99

Halleluja !!!

Postie has just delivered my January BRM Magazine.

Quick scan through and it seems to be a good read, particularly like the look of the Tetley Mills article.

The calendar seems a bit naff though. The Hornby Magazine one is much better.

Guest eddie reffin

Back to the contents!

Mine arrived today and I have had a brief look through. This is one of the better issues and has a few articles which will need more in depth reading, particularly the Tetley Mills piece. Stunning layout, haven't had time to watch DVD yet but will probably leave till holidays.

A good bit on N gauge which is my favoured scale (this week anyway!) I have seen the BRM 2011 project layout at the Inverness show in September and promises to be an interesting read throught the coming year. The article on the 37s also interests me but only briefly glanced at it.

All in all- a good'un.

Eddie

PS- yes it was a little late but given the circumstances up here, understandable.

Please note this in the BRM Subscriptions topic. Can I ask please that this topic (and those for subsequent months) are used only for discussion of the magazine content and that subs issues are directed (politely) to the other topic. Thank you.

Having received my copy a week and a half late, I've only just ot my teeth into it. I must say that Dave Shakespeare made an excellent job of his Tetleys Mills article. The standard of modelling is excellent, but Daves modest tone and way of explaining the "whys and wherefores" of this atmospheric layout read beautifully, and accompanied by Tony Wrights excellent photos and the dvd, this little package is worth the cover price on its own. Praise where praise is due. Well done Dave (and a mention or two of RMWeb) and well done BRM. Excellent stuff!

Having received my copy a week and a half late, I've only just ot my teeth into it. I must say that Dave Shakespeare made an excellent job of his Tetleys Mills article. The standard of modelling is excellent, but Daves modest tone and way of explaining the "whys and wherefores" of this atmospheric layout read beautifully, and accompanied by Tony Wrights excellent photos and the dvd, this little package is worth the cover price on its own. Praise where praise is due. Well done Dave (and a mention or two of RMWeb) and well done BRM. Excellent stuff!

Thanks for your kind comments Mike.

I only live a 'nutty slack's' throw from Bourne but my own subscribed copy arrived yesterday but 'am I bovvered?' I've been too busy beating off marauding polar bears and clearing snow off the Barden branch line to find time to read anything anyway. I'm certainly not entering into any debate on BRM's subscription system but my wife Julie and I are delighted with the very professional manner in which my Tetleys Mills article has been published, I've always felt most readers want as many photographs as possible and Tony and his editorial colleagues have, in my opinion done us all proud. I'm equally happy with the way the DVD turned out since having two 'loony tunes' chatting together makes for a lot more relaxed viewing experience of what is after all, escapism from the stresses of everyday life.

This will probably be the last appearance of Tetleys Mills, the new railway room is only delayed by the weather and hopefully work can soon start on the layout which will totally occupy the 6.9m by 5.4m space.

Grumpy Old Man of Ancaster.

post-372-0-81471200-1292950009_thumb.jpg

You've gone totally off track. I though this was meant to be about the content of BRM Jan 2011.

Quite right - despite my request earlier to use the other topic for general discussion about subscriptions, delays etc.

I've now moved all useful posts there which are not about the contents of the current issue. Any more in the wrong place will get deleted.

I don't usually even think about buying BRM but I bought this one because of Tetleys Mills, which looks stunning as ever. The Comet Thompson non-gangwayed stock looks good. Dave Shakespear also writes a good article. The next incarnation of the layout should be worth seeing in the magazines when it's built. I wish I was retired and had the time for my layout.

May I to add that the Tetley Mills layout article is worth the price of the magazine, although I am a subscriber, but I have not been able to watch the DVD as my copy is completly blank not a file to be found on it. I have asked for a replacement but it has not yet come.

regards

mike g

my wife Julie and I are delighted with the very professional manner in which my Tetleys Mills article has been published, I've always felt most readers want as many photographs as possible and Tony and his editorial colleagues have, in my opinion done us all proud.

Yes indeed. A superb tribute to a truly remarkable layout.

I used to live between Wyke and Cleckheaton so am very familiar with both the look and feel of the area which has been captured to a 'T'. I mourne it's passing but look forward to seeing the Phoenix rising from its ashes.

And the rest of the magazine is not bad either.

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed the magazine this month, Tetley's Mills really is a cracker of a layout and Tony's stills were excellent. I just wish the DVD was a little longer! I really enjoy watching the interview, but I really wish there were a couple of extra minutes footage of the trains running.

I don't know what anyone else thinks?

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

Yep got to agree with you Nick. I too wished we could see a few more trains running on Tetleys Mills. However given it was free with the magazine (unlike some who include a dvd but put the cover price up that month)it would be churlish to complain. I thought the magazine was excellent too with a good long article on Tetleys Mills.

• RMweb Gold

Yep got to agree with you Nick. I too wished we could see a few more trains running on Tetleys Mills. However given it was free with the magazine (unlike some who include a dvd but put the cover price up that month)it would be churlish to complain. I thought the magazine was excellent too with a good long article on Tetleys Mills.

Oh yeah blimey it's not a complaint, I would happily pay an extra couple of pennies to cover the cost of the disk. Just a missed opportunity!

Regards,

Nick

Archived