Seep 2 Aspect Colour Signal and Peco PL10

Dickens

I wish to operate a Seep 2 Aspect colour light signal on an insulfrog turnout. I have a Peco P10E turnout motor, which operates fine on my workbench with AC power. Separately,the 2 Aspect signal also works fine, on DC,with the DPDT slide switch which comes with it, using an old Hornby transformer (R912)from a train set.

I would like to operate the signal via the point motor to show the point's position,on an insulfrog "OO" gauge turnout. I realise that a switch has to be operated by the movement of the point motor.

I have P13 and P15 microswitches, and have read all the adverse comments about them on several threads. Notwithstanding, I hope one of these can be used.

Having read Brian Lambert's book and looked at his,and other, webpages on wiring switches I am none the wiser than knowing I have to create an electrical circuit with all the wires and terminals, on the respective switches.

I can get some success with lighting one LED using either the PL13 or PL15. I can even use the PL15 switches to switch one LED on or off.

I am totally defeated, after many hours with the PL15 switch, to make the switch operate both LEDs.

As you can see I have no understanding of electricity. Will the PL15 and the transformer do the job, and is there anywhere I can see a simple wiring diagam, where all the sources and destinations of the wires are shown? I tried to post labelled photos of all the components for you, but my ICT skills are only marginally better than my electronics wizardry, so plain text it is.

There is no way I can put wires in from the LEDs back to the switch. Although I have removed the LEDs from the light hood, there is no way to attach two wires in such a small space and return them to the two terminals on the switch. Thanks.

Well I have put the last few days of practical frustration to an end. In trying to lead a wire away from the LED with the resistor I seem to have fried that LED! Anyway, maybe I can find a switch and motor like a Seep. Now all I need is buy a new light and motor with an in-built switch and diagrams and ................Until then!

I don't have a SEEP 2-aspect signal to hand, but pictures I've seen show only 2 leads. Is (was) yours like that? If so, then one of the LEDs is wired in reverse to the other, so that (for example) a positive supply will light the green LED and a negative supply will light the red. This can be done with a SPDT switch like the Peco ones you mentioned. One lead from the signal goes to the common terminal of the switch, maybe through a dropper resistor if it's not built into the signal. The other 2 switch terminals go to positive and negative supplies. The common from the supplies goes to the other lead from the signal. Positive and negative supplies can be obtained from AC accessory terminals on the power pack, with a couple of rectifier diodes - the anode of one and the cathode of the other both being connected to one of the AC terminals. The other AC terminal then becomes the "common from the supplies" mentioned above. Sorry I can't supply a diagram, my time is limited (Mrs Naugytrax insists that I have to leave now and go Xmas shopping!)

Seep signals ? I seached Gaugemaster site which sells SEEP & could not find them & even googling, no results.

But if they only have two wires for the output, then the red & green are wired in reverse to each other & by using a double pole, double throw wired wired for reversal ( just like the DC train control) & a resistor, that will do it. To use a single changeover switch like PL13 & that type of signal head, will need a relay to go with it - the PL13 operates the relay which does the power reversal or use a PL15 which has 2 changeover sets of contacts to reverse power.

Reading your post, it does seem that the DPDT switch that came with the signal is a reversal unit .

Looking at the cct here http://brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical-2.htm#Train Control. the SW2 on the output of the train control is s DPDT showing how reversal is wired or this site

http://www.distel.co.uk/DC_MOT_CON1.htm subsitute the sigmnal head for the motor

could not find them

Ron, I suspect that this is the type of signal that Dickens is trying to use: HBYS signal

Note that only 2 wires can be seen in this picture.

I agree that using a PL-15 as a DPDT polarity reversing switch you can drive the signal using a simple DC supply.

Humphrey, you are correct - I found them now

Gaugemaster HBYS Hornby Type Colour Light Signal for 12v DC - yes two wires & I think the slide switch is to be wired as a reversing switch

but then again, when it was mentioned a diode can be used on AC, the common LED connection may be the base, so the switch is treated as a SPDT to select either red or green LED. In that case Peco PL13 would suffice.

Thank you for all the replies. Today I shall check that I have fried the resistor, as I mentioned yesterday. The signal is sold by Gaugemaster and does only have two wires. If the resistor is fried I may try and replace it and start again, using the helpful information given above.

Archived